This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire/ The Hedge Knight / Legends

Next 20 Messages
Omer
User ID: 0485244
Nov 27th 11:46 AM
Just wondering what people thought about Legends in general. Me, I loved it, there were many really goo stories there, first and formost The Hedge Knight, of course, but also Stephen King's and Robert Silverberg's and Raymond Feist's and Ursula K Leguin's.

And what did you think about 'Far Horeizons'?
cgob
User ID: 0053014
Nov 27th 3:49 PM
I liked Legends a lot. I liked pretty much all the stories. I discovered Feist through it (I think the Wood Boy" was a lot better than any of his series about Midkemia/Kelewan-Feist seems to be like Piers Anthony- started out interesting and funny but quickly became a pulp writer[sell more books]). I liked Jorden's story (the reason I borrowed the book) and of course Stephan King. I was dissapointed with Le Guin and MacCaffery in comparison to the rest but over all it was a good read.

Never have read 'Far Horizons'. Compilation Fantasy or SF?
Omer
Nov 27th 5:14 PM
Far horizon is the SF equivalent of LEGENDS. It's interesting if you like the authors and stories, but overall it ain't quite as good.
Dirjj
User ID: 0094674
Nov 28th 10:19 PM
I'd never really read Mccaffrey before until Legends. I thought her story was good.

The Magician series by Feist was excellent, it was the first Riftwar stories. The Woodboy takes place in the middle of the Riftwar. Also, Prince of the Blood and Kings Buccaneer were good as well. His latest Midkemia series sucked!!!

I've not finished reading Legends, albeit, I've read most of it. I usually will read it between series' or when I don't have anything else to read. I think I have 4 stories left. Le Guin is one that I haven't read yet. I'll probably start the Goodkind story one of these days, then start that series. I read Wizards First Rule, and didn't like it, so I gave up on that series. I guess I'll give it another shot.

ab
Kristin
User ID: 1418774
Nov 29th 0:13 AM
I wouldn't recommend giving Goodkind another shot. Bleah.
Omer
Nov 29th 11:48 AM
I didn't find 'Debt of bone' to be ll that great, but I won't read Goodkind, because I've read an interview with him where he said he doesn't read Fantasy. That sounds very bad, it's like 'It's good enough for YOU, but not for ME'
I don't think I'll read too much from Tracy Hickmann either, for the same reason
labor
User ID: 1808544
Nov 29th 12:25 PM
Well, besides the "Hedge Knight" I liked the stories by Tad Williams (a great story, IMHO), Terry Pratchett and yes, Robert Jordan (though less than the other too).

I positively loathed the stories by McCaffrey (what was the point?) and Goodkind.

All the rest were somewhere in-between.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Nov 29th 12:55 PM
Williams, Card, Pratchett and GRRM, thumbs up.

Goodkind - blech.

Feist, Silverberg - yawn.

Jordan - nice details, if your like WoT. But short stories doesn't seem to be his cup of water...

The rest left me...well, not exactly with a burning interest to read more.

And I've _still_ to get around to reading King's story! I'd better do something about that.
Omer
Nov 30th 5:01 AM
I agree with labor about laothing Anne Mccaffrey. It was such a lame story, and as someone who rarely cares about stories ending properly, the moral of that one was SO sickening I firmly decided not to read any more Maccaffrey.

Sliverberg's and Feist's stories, though, were amoung my favorite. I really liked The Seventh Shrine's political climate, and The Wood Boy was strong tale of the little people trapped in a war.

William's story, though, was not quite powerful enough to keep me looking for his work. Not too much happened in it.

mmm... Far Horizons, anyone?
Dirjj
User ID: 9990163
Nov 30th 2:34 PM
Well, regarding McCaffrey, I read One series from her that was great. I'll just cal it the Freedom series. It was Sci Fi, but I liked it. It was where this Alien Civilization conquors earth and uses humans and other conquered aliens as guinea pigs to see if the plan is worth colonizing. It was really a great read.

ab
cgob
User ID: 0053014
Dec 1st 12:05 PM
As a child and teen I read McCaffery's Pern chronicles and thought they were great. After the White Dragon though I think the series went downhill.
Malice
User ID: 0826264
Dec 1st 7:07 PM
It sure did. I don't recall liking "The White Dragon" a whole lot either. Jaxom was the most annoying McCaffrey character I'd ever encountered besides the guys that were actually supposed to be annoying. <g>
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Feb 4th 10:35 AM
I have to agree that McCaffrey rapidly deteriorates, but everyone ought at least to read Dragonflight - it's just the best. Well, one of the best.

As for her 'Runner of Pern' story in Legends...aaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. How DARE she! I have NEVER read so blatant a 'give up your career to marry and have babies' plug in my life.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Feb 7th 3:04 PM
All Right, Emily! had a man written this story, the Feminist would've burned him alive.
Vanryker
User ID: 1300074
Feb 7th 3:53 PM
Just finished GRRM's The Hedge Knight and Robert Jordon's New Spring both were terrific, although I would have enjoyed the story of Lan & Moiraine better if I had not already finished Jordon's sixth book in the Wheel of Time series. For those out their who have read the Wheel of Time series, you would know why. Can't wait to get on with the rest of the book. Can anyone recommend which one to read next as I'm new to the rest of the authors except Stephen King. Thanks.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Feb 7th 3:58 PM
Terry Pratchett's story is pretty funny. I thought it was quite fun.

Orson Scott Card's story is the same, and not your typical fantasy.

Ursula K. Le Guin's is a very good Earthsea-set one, with her typical prose skill.

And .. hrm. Tad Williams' story was rather good, but somehow I think the atmospherics depend a lot on having read at least the first book of his series.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Feb 8th 3:41 AM
I didn't like Pratchett's stuff. I know he's ultra popular int he UK, but he just doesn't do it for me.
I'm not an expert on Fantasy. But I'd give Far Horizon a try. It's the companian anthology to Legends, and eventhough it isn't as good it has several worthwhile stories in it( Silverberg, Simmons, Nancy Kress and Ursulla K Leguin each donated a wonderful tale)
Vanryker
Feb 8th 10:02 AM
Thanks Ran, going for Pratchett's story on your word. Get back to you later, and thanks for the suggestions.
Vanryker
Feb 8th 2:51 PM
Thanks Omer, I do own Far Horizon's but I think I'm going to try to finish Legends before Far Horizon's as I think I tend to lean towards fantasy rather than Science Fiction.
Vanryker
Feb 11th 8:37 AM
Ran, read Tad Williams story first. Thought it was great. I am definitely going to purchase more of his stories. Sort of errie wasn't it.
Next 20 Messages