This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire/ The Hedge Knight / Evidence of Dunk

Karelian
User ID: 1167284
Jun 15th 10:37 AM
Hi, this is my first time posting in this forum, but I've been reading avidly for awhile :)

Anyhow, I found something that shows evidence of Dunk's future lineage in aGoT

Pg. 419, end of the 2nd paragraph. Catelyn has Tyrion at the Eyrie and he's about to have trial by combat:

Tyrion noted Ser Lyn Corbray, slender as a sword, Lord Hunter with his gouty legs, the widowed Lady Waynwood surrounded by her sons. Other sported sigils he did not know; broken lance, green viper, burning tower, winged chalice.

Winged chalice :) Could it be Dunk took his old master's sigil, and ended up in the Vale with some land and a nice lady-friend? :) Anyhoo... I just thought I'd point it out
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 15th 10:41 AM
The winged chalice is that of House Hersy of Newkeep (a white winged chalice on pink.) I suppose the difference might account for things, and Newkeep is certainly about the right sound to it, but . . . I don't know. He already had arms. Reverting to Ser Arlan's arms, differenced with the pink field, would seem strange to me. Especially after Baelor had told him he had to pick a new shield.
Ran
Jun 15th 10:42 AM
Let me add, belatedly, that a full listing of houses and their heraldry (with only a couple of omissions) is available at:

www.westeros.org/Heraldry/Banners.html

:)
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jun 15th 12:34 PM
I didn't really have anything to say here, I just wanted to be the 100th poster under this heading.

:)

Ser Gary
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Jun 15th 12:37 PM
*Stares at Ser Gary and shakes head sadly*
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jun 15th 1:30 PM
* Walks away proudly not realizing he looks like a fool *
Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
Jun 15th 3:21 PM
ha ha ha ha hahahahahahhahahaha

ab
gad
User ID: 8736803
Jun 20th 8:47 AM
At the end of the hedge knight Dunk IIRC rationalises why the Gods spared him, yet Baelor who would have long been remembered as the kingliest of kings, etc went prematurely to his grave. Dunk's rationale: the realm may have great need of his now intact limbs. A Song of Ice and Fire is set, I guess, a mere century or so after the Hedge Knight tourney. Surely after two books in the series there must be some clue of what great deeds were done by Dunk? I however (like the Dunk the lunk) am too dense to find them. Are there any clues, or not?
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Jun 20th 10:02 PM
I reckon he became the commander of Eggs Kingsguard
Ran
Jun 21st 5:51 AM
Nah. He has a descendant, Martin implies. He wouldn't have that if he were of the Kingsguard, in all probability. Oh, I suppose he could have joined the Kingsguard very late, after the death of a wife and with an heir already existant, but . . . nah. That'd be an odd place for him.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jun 26th 9:49 AM
This topic made me think of something...when a new-made knight has chosen his sigil, is it his and his only?

Or can someone else theoretically choose the same later?

(I suppose it's largely of academic interest, since originality would seem to be what the knights strive for)
Ran
Jun 26th 10:01 AM
I think the maesters would keep some sort of track on matters of heraldry. So ... in most cases, someone's arms belong only to that person. As Prince Baelor said, Dunk couldn't carry Ser Arlan's arms if he wasn't Ser Arlan's son and heir.

Now, if some hedge knight took some arms, died without any inheritors, and a few hundred years later someone happened on the same arms . . . it would probably go unremarked, unless that knight was very famous and his arms were immortalized in song and history.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Jun 26th 11:08 AM
Ran... you even start to sound like GrrM
Street Prophet
User ID: 1307164
Jun 27th 0:59 AM
Last we saw, Dunk was making tracks for Dorne. Could be his scions are there.
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jul 15th 10:51 PM
Fear not, you will learn what ultimately became of Dunk in ASOS.
Relic
User ID: 9308123
Aug 1st 6:34 PM
Omer didnt you know? The R.R in GRRM stands for Ran Ran.
test
User ID: 9391453
Aug 1st 10:38 PM
test