This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Recommended Reading II

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Jun 25th 12:52 PM
Well, I rather broke the original so it doesn't wrap right. That's why I get for making one long collection of words without proper spaces. ;)

Anyhow, here's a second to continue with.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Jun 28th 10:28 AM
All righty then.

I spent last weekend consuming the first book in Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, and I must applaud whoever recommended her on the board (Ser Gary, I think).

Hobb's "Assassin's apprentice" is a little low on action (which doesn't necessarily upset me), and the book's meandering progress is conveyed with a delightfully pensive writing style. A very good read indeed.

Anyway, I would like to know if Hobb keeps up the good work in the rest of the trilogy. What can I expect, when I'm starting on "Royal assassin" tonight?
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Jun 28th 10:35 AM
KAH, I'm on page 300 of the third book, Assassin's Quest. I've no complaints. The story is well-thought-out, well-written and most interesting in terms of subject matter. A very enjoyable read. BTW, I recommended it only after it was recommended by others who visit this board. They are the ones to thank, from both of us.
Ran
Jun 28th 11:07 AM
I enjoyed all three books, but the third markedly less than the previous two. Hobb fell into travelouge mode, I'm afraid, and while some argue that this is some sort of stunning attempt to follow an archetypal Hero's Progress from the known to the unknown, I just have to reply it's boring.

C.S. Friedman made a good job of the travelouge bit in her Coldfire Trilogy, but then she had a far more alien landscape to play with.

Still, Hobb's worth reading. :) Her Liveship Traders books (same world, following after the Assassin books, but in a totally different location with entirely new characters) are nice, rather pulpy reads. There's a distinct difference in the focus of her writing. Action happens at a more regular pace than, say, in the very introspective _Assassin's Apprentice_.
Kevin
User ID: 0854544
Jun 28th 12:24 PM
Can anyone help me find Brust's "To Reign in Hell"? I have a friend who has been looking for it forever and can not find it.
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Jun 28th 12:34 PM
I don't think it's in print anymore. Best guess is to either write Brust himself, he may have a copy, or look in used book stores.

Brust's web page is at :

www.visi.com/~skzb/frame/frame.html

hope this helps.
Ran
Jun 28th 12:39 PM
Try something like:

www.abebooks.com

I checked, though, and it seems that Brust first editions of that sort are rather highly sought after. Anywheref from $25 to $50 for a copy. I know there are a couple other major, similar used book sites but I can't think of any names.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 1195644
Jun 28th 2:07 PM
I was a the local bookshop recently and was looking at Brust's books. Which one should I read first? It looks like The Phoenix Guards and the Vlad Taltos books are from the same place but from vastly different times. Anyone have suggestions?
Claidhaim
Jun 28th 2:20 PM
The Vlad Taltos books are more "pulpy" but loads of fun. The only problem with them is that three or four of them are out of print. If you can find them all, by all means get them. They are (in chronological order) Taltos, Yendi, Dragon,Jhereg Teckla, Phoenix,Athyra, and Orca. The out of print ones are Jhereg, Yendi, and Taltos, I think.

Anywhoo. The Phoenix Guard is the first of the Khaavren Romances and do pick this up if at all possible as well as Five Hundred Years After. This is epic in length, 800pg or so each and well worth the effort.

The Khaavren Romances take place about 1000 years prior to the Taltos books, and are a good introduction to the world, but the Taltos books look at things from an "easterner's" perspective.

"Easterner's" are like humans and live 75-100 years, Draegaerans live 1500-2000 years.
Mike H.
User ID: 8290473
Jun 28th 2:28 PM
Anyone read Robert R. McCammon's stuff. They are more in horror type genre, but they are still a good read. My favorite so far has been Wolf's Hour, about a WWII American Spy who is also a werewolf.

R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'urden (sp?) books are also good.

I read Tad Williams a long time ago, but I remember it bein a bit slow for my tastes.

Right now I am fininshing up a Harry Turtledoce alternate history book.
Claidhaim
Jun 28th 2:29 PM
Just checked Amazon.com and Brust has a three volume book coming out in August which includes "Taltos", "Yendi", and "Teckla". It's a paperback for $12. I would get it just because I don't have my own copy of Yendi, and there is good information in that one.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 1195644
Jun 28th 2:30 PM
I saw Jhereg and Taltos on the shelf last night... I've heard alot of acclaim for The Phoenix Guards so I guess I 'll start there... After I finish Armageddon Rag, and then Tigana...
Kristin Jun 28th 4:14 PM
Oh, I much preferred McCammon's Swan Song to anything else that he's written. I reread it about once a year, along with King's The Stand.

I haven't been able to read Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn yet--had the same problem with those than I did with Tolkein (zzzzz)--but his Otherland series is a lot of fun. It's a mix of cyberpunk and fantasy. There are two books in it so far--City of Golden Shadow and River of Blue Fire--and I'm astounded at the way Williams keeps all of his plots going.
Kevin
User ID: 0854544
Jun 28th 4:41 PM
Claidham/Ran; Thanks for the input. I will follow up on the leads provided.
Ser Gary
User ID: 9279843
Jun 28th 5:37 PM
Kristin, good call on the versatile Williams. Ser Benjen and I are both waiting for Otherland II to come out in paperback. We knights are brave, but we're not paid very well.
Mike H.
User ID: 8290473
Jun 29th 9:48 AM
Kristin:

I agree, Swan Song was great as well. I just liked Wolfs' Hour better because it was a unique story and McCammon spent a fair amount of time discussing the pack mentality, which was an interesting take on things. I loved They Thirst, as well.

I have been avoiding the Otherland series for fear of becoming too bored with it. Perhaps I need to rethink. :)
Kristin Jun 29th 12:48 PM
They Thirst is the only McCammon book I haven't read. A friend has promised to lend it to me, but all of his books are in storage for a while. I did like Wolf's Hour a lot; it's been a while since I read it. Maybe I ought to go to the library today...

I read City of Golden Shadow straight through, but I had to take periodic breaks from River of Blue Fire--my brain was beginning to frizzle.
Ser Gary
Jun 29th 3:18 PM
Your brain was frizzling? Perhaps Ser Benjen and I should wear our helms during that read.
Rebecca
User ID: 7538493
Jun 30th 8:11 AM
Kevin, www.biliofind.com is another usedbook site to checkout.
Ser Gary
Jun 30th 9:51 AM
Perhaps we should have a topic that simply lists the addresses of various web sites of interest?

Rebecca, I honestly think this is your calling... :) Do we agree again?
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages