This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Good Music?

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Generic Eric
User ID: 8339223
Mar 25th 1:13 AM
My relatively newbie-curse is rearing its ugly head again: have we already discussed music?

Let me know before I write a friggin essay on music.
Maeglin
User ID: 0707654
Mar 25th 1:30 AM
I don't think we have discussed this yet well not to my recolection anyway even though I'm pretty new myself. My favorite kinds of music are techno, house, progressive house and R'n'B (yes I know how differnt R'n'B is to the other three but who said we have to like only one type of music?)
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Mar 26th 3:30 PM
Possibly we did somewhere, but I'm always more than ready for an opportunity to wax on about my favourite music.

I like a lot of older stuff - Doors, Floyd, Stones, etc. A lot of eighties - Depeche Mode, Duran Duran. Industrial - Nine Inch Nails, Front 242. All kinds of other stuff - Dead Can Dance, Chemical Brothers, Joy Division.

Probably my favourite song at the moment (it changes all the time) is Stripped by Depeche Mode.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Mar 26th 3:41 PM
I love Depeche Mode. Always loved dark music. I think Black Celebration is their best, though Songs of Faith and Devotion came close.

What kind of music do I hear. Well, it spreads over ages. I love medieval music. And the classics, italian operas (Puccini and Verdi make me cry), I adore Vivaldi (get them Four Seasons directed by Nigel Kennedy!). I love Beethoven, too. Seems I always fell in love with insane artists. :-)

For the modern times, I am a kid of the eighties, and stuck in them. I still love the old songs that ruled my teenage years. Depeche Mode, Sting, David Bowie and many others. Nostalgy, perhaps. But I DO think today's music is not as good as it used to be. Too many covers (Madonna's version of American Pie makes me _sick_). Too many guys and gals who do not know how to sing. I admid swinging your hips is an art, but I tend to like singers who know a bit singing, at least...

Anyway - I sound like my granny, sorry. :-)

I love the blues... the old one. Percy Sledge and his like, the real old stuff.

Irish Folk, too. Clannad is great, I can get lost in their music.

Oh well. Such a short survey and so much good music on this earth (still... despite all :-)).

Ya know what, Eric? The day you posted this, I was thinking that if we discussed other books and films and such, we could as well discuss music - then I found this topic. Funny.
Maeglin
User ID: 0707654
Mar 27th 2:18 AM
I agree with you about Madonna, I loved the original American Pie but her version is disgraceful I can't believe that anyone would buy such utter crap.
Swithin
User ID: 0289604
Mar 27th 2:42 AM
Sphinx - we have almost exactly the same taste in music. Bizarre. I have all Pink Floyd's albums and all by Depeche Mode, and they are the only two bands who can take credit for that. I'm also adore Lisa Gerrard, formerly of Dead Can Dance. And I was listening to Pretty Hate Machine about 40 seconds before I met Christina.

Triphop does it for me too. Portishead and Tricky are the obvious standouts, but I found both before they became too famous. Although no one else really thinks it, Bjork falls into this category too. Homogenic is definitely a triphoppy album, and she colaborated with Tricky on Post before anyone knew him. I literally jumped when I saw him in The Fifth Element in a theatre.

Fluke stand alone.

As far as classical music goes, I'm addicted to Alkan, Bruckner, Mahler too a lesser degree, and Holst because of the Planets. Grieg has a surprisingly large body of great stuff (you know, that sounds funny) which noone seems to notice anymore. And next to Alkan, Chopin is my favorite to play on the piano.

I'll raise the old music topic so that the unfamiliars can peruse at their discretion.
Swithin
Mar 27th 2:44 AM
Oh yeah, Min, Black Celebration was great but I always thought that Music for the Masses was Depeche Mode's most thorough album, even though I listen to Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion more than any of their old stuff now.

Does anyone remember the music video to Enjoy the Silence? I haven't seen it in seven or eight years, and it's still my favorite. Damn that was cool.
Swithin
Mar 27th 2:47 AM
Hmm, it looks like we lost Recommended Listening in the board crash.
Generic Eric
Mar 27th 7:53 AM
I might as well post something in my own subject. I forgot about this one!

Like many others here, I totally agree that the a lot of today's music sucks. That is, 95% of what I see on MTV and the like. I do think there is still good music being made however--its just not cool enough to be on tv. Has anyone picked up the solo album from Mike Ness? Thats good stuff.

As far as classic rock goes, I'd say Led Zeppelin ranks as the all time best rock and roll band. My favorite however, is Tom Petty. Petty is an unbelievable artist. He's been going strong for over 20 years, and his latest album still rocks--his music never gets old.
Min
Mar 27th 8:22 AM
swithin, Music for the Masses was great, yes. DM managed to keep a certain level throughout their work, which many nowadays bands don't, so it's hard to tell which album is best.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Mar 27th 8:38 AM
I'm kind of more of a 70's music guy -- though disco repulses me.

Old King Crimson stuff, old Yes, maybe some Genesis and Peter Gabriel. I do listen to some more "mainstream" stuff, though. Ted Nugent is great if you're in the right mood -- total "guy" music. "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" is just hilarious. One of the two things I insisted on at my wedding was playing "Cat Scratch Fever" for the garter toss. Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Creedence, all that older stuff. And sitting in a dark, smoky bar, drinking gin and listening to Warren Zevon is awesome. "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner", "Lawyers, Guns, and Money", etc. Yeah.
Snake
User ID: 0101764
Mar 27th 2:25 PM
AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Guns 'n' Roses, U2, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, and of course The Tragically Hip. Perhaps the greatest band ever. Although AC/DC run a close second.
Generic Eric
Mar 27th 3:51 PM
Jeff, I'm in total agreement with you about Zevon. Except for the bar part, seeing as how I'm 20--maybe in a year. "Ah-HOOOOOO, werewolves of London!"

CCR is also a big fav of mine, and how could I forget Rush? "Spirit of Radio" has got to be one of the best rock songs ever penned.

As far as modern music goes, I'm only into a limited number of good power-pop bands. Matthew Sweet, Superdrag, Splitsville, Fountains of Wayne, and yes, Weezer. Most people prob. won't agree with me on these.

Maybe I should not have started this subject. I have too much good music I keep thinking of...
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Mar 27th 4:10 PM
Wow, Swithin, you'r even more right than you thought. I adore Portishead, Trichy, Bjork and Holst. BTW, Tricky was pretty well-known in the UK before Post, for Maxinquaye and stuff he did with Massive Attack.

I can't believe I've found a band full of 'Mode fans (bizarre conicidence: 'Stripped' has just come on as I write - god that song is good to dance to). I have to say that most bands I think reach a peak - they have one best album and the ones either side chronologically are the two next best. DM did this with Music For The Masses, with Black Celebration and Violator almost as good.

Another good example of this theory is New Model Army, who peaked with Thunder & Consolation and had damn good albums in Impurity and The Ghost of Cain either side.

Tip for vastly underrated band that nobody will have heard of, but maybe one day:- Puressence :)
Generic Eric
Mar 27th 4:22 PM
Sphinx, do you have 808 State's Ex:el album/OOOPS single featuring Bjork? Thats pretty good stuff. IMHO, "debut" was awesome, and Bjork went downhill from there. I never was a very big fan of electronic music however, so I'm not the best judge on that count.

But, as long as I'm on the subject, I do like some Portishead stuff. What about the Farm? Anyone who liked them? "Spartacus" was awesome. I have "Love See no Colour" as well, but that was not nearly as good. Too bad they're not still makin' groovy tunes.
Generic Eric
Mar 27th 4:24 PM
...or Swithin, whoever brought up Bjork first...
Trebla
User ID: 0721754
Mar 27th 4:34 PM
My musical collection ranges from James Taylor to Pantera. I LOVE the Doors, the Stones, Pearl Jam, and Metallica. I mostly like bands because of their lyrics.
Jeff
User ID: 8813033
Mar 27th 9:14 PM
You guys are making me feel _way_ old.
Swithin
Mar 27th 10:19 PM
Gen.Eric, OOOPS is also on 808 State's greatist hits album, 808:88:98. Good song.

Oh, and Bjork also did a song called Yoga on Tricky's Nearly God album. She's also done a song called Joga, and I'm pretty sure she has a third yoga-titled song hidden somewhere, I can't remember exactly.

Has anyone else here heard of Delerium?
Min
Mar 28th 2:24 AM
Jeff, I talked about Percy Sledge and his like, and you feel old? :-)
Actually, my boyfriend is older than you, and likes more modern music than I do. It's a question of taste, not of age (well, it somehow is in your teens, but it shapes a bit more later - I liked bands way back then I cannot stand anymore. Some, like DM, I find still great).
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages