This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Floyd

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Sep 13th 12:13 PM
You guys on this board (if there are any) living in the south east of the US of A better hold on to something.

I've heard that a big hurricane (as in; big enough to be named) is headed your way, and I'd hate to see any of our contributors to the board blow away, so to speak...

We have none to lose, after all.
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Sep 13th 12:54 PM
Maybe they can just hang on to the trucks that they all seem to park in their front yards.
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Sep 13th 1:05 PM
The dented, rusting, doorless hulks? Or the ones they don't drive anymore?
Jeff
Sep 13th 2:02 PM
Sorry, I should have been more precise. I meant the one's sitting next to the broken toilet that also sits in the front yard.
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Sep 13th 3:06 PM
I thought this topic was going to be about Floyd the Barber on the Andy Griffith Show. Shucks!!!
Claidhaim
Sep 13th 3:22 PM
Only if it's Floyd the Midaevil Barber.
Ser Gary
Sep 13th 3:43 PM
He's the one with the real sharp and real big razor...
Claidhaim
Sep 14th 8:09 AM
And leeches. Lots and lots of leeches, cure what ails you....:o)
Jeff
Sep 14th 10:49 AM
Actually, Floyd is really pissing me off. My 15 year reunion at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, is scheduled for this weekend and I have a feeling Floyd is really going to screw it up.
Rebecca
User ID: 0303694
Sep 14th 11:39 AM
Jeff, I don't think you need to worry. I live in Maryland and as of now there's no indication that Floyd will be up here by the weekend (if at all). Although I don't know where you're coming from, so if it's from the south than I could see Floyd keeping you in the airport...

(Well, I was trying to be reassuring...)
Jeff
Sep 14th 12:01 PM
Rebecca, thank you very much for that info. I wasn't sure how fast it would be moving. I'm flying out Thursday from Ohio so it sounds like it might be okay.
Jeff
Sep 14th 12:29 PM
Rebecca, I just checked the weather on Yahoo and its saying high winds and heavy rains for Thursday in Maryland.
Rebecca
Sep 14th 10:51 PM
Jeff, I know. I watched the weather report this evening. Floyd was stalled, but is now moving up the coast. Rain predicted starting something Thursday into Friday. The weekend is supposed to be clear. All the local stations said rain would be about the same as it was for Dennis, which had become a Tropical Depression by the time it got here, so the rain and wind wasn't bad--no massive gusts or torrential downpours. But it's hard to say until Floyd moves closer. I'll keep ya posted.
Rebecca
Sep 15th 6:46 AM
Jeff, it's been downgraded to a tropical storm. When are you leaving Thursday? Latest predictions are heavy rains won't begin around here till about 10:00 Thurs. night.

Check out www.wbal.com.

That's the website of one of the local radio stations that's affilated with one of the local tv stations (this website's easier to find the weather on). They share the same meteorologists, so the info's the same as what we see on the news.

Ser Gary
Sep 15th 7:27 AM
What's in a name? I joked earlier about Floyd the Barber, but isn't it strange that a hurricane bearing such a name now seems to be levelling its guns toward North Carolina -- which is where the fictitious town of Mayberry was located. That's where the Andy Griffith show, which included Floyd the Barber, took place. Just thought I'd mention that :)
Jeff
Sep 15th 8:41 AM
Thanks, Rebecca. I'll give it a try. I suppose I could always drive out but my wife doesn't seem to keen on that idea.
Claidhaim
Sep 15th 8:44 AM
Jeff, you could always go to:

www.accuweather.com

and get your weather. They provide weather forcasting services throughout the world. All you need is the zip code or town.
Claidhaim
Sep 15th 8:52 AM
Okay, I checked. Thursday and Friday look to be rather rainy. Saturday and Sunday look to be very nice with sunshine and temps in the mid 70s. Have fun!
Rebecca
Sep 15th 11:38 AM
Okay, Jeff--just finished watching the noon news Floyd update. We're still in a Tropical Storm watch, but they are now predicting Floyd to hit the North Carolina/South Caroline line around 11 or 12 tonight, at which point it'll move inland and will be a Tropical Storm by the time it reaches Maryland. However, they are now saying the heavy rains and wind gusts will start sometime in the wee hours of the morning on Thursday.

The big problem with trying to figure out how intense the storm will be is trying to predict where it will hit land. Once it hits land, its all down hill and quickly losses strength. So the sooner it hits land, the less severe the weather will be by the time it hits us.

Oh, and forget WBAL for the moment. They had to evacuate their building, so there's no access to the weather equipment. Don't know when they'll be able to get back in. Workmen were putting the HDTV anetennas up when a bolt came loose from the crane sitting on top of the antenna. The area in a four block radius has been evacuated, including the TV station's building. Go to WMAR instead.
Rebecca
Sep 15th 11:50 AM
Forget, WMAR. I just checked their website. They're useless. If WBAL isn't able to update their site I think Claid's is the next best option.
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages