This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Martin is Jordan?

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
cgob
User ID: 0053014
Sep 25th 1:21 PM
Hello all. Please pardon me somewhat if this question has been posted before but I couldn't seem to find it after lurking for at least 20 min.

Has anyone noticed the similarities in style as well as looks between Jordan and Martin? Both use similar narrative styles and by golly they both have beards! Could the reason it took 4 years for Path of Daggers to come out be because of SoIaF? Maybe he(them it,her,etc) is pulling a King/Bachman.

Reasons they could be the same person.
1.both use split narrative style and character development.
2. both have beards.
3. both are "big" men (at least in the photos)
4. both are devilishly good
5. both use the cliffhanger technique
6. it makes a great internet rumor.

Thanks...Great board by the way...Top 10 lists are great.

Sincerely cgob
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Sep 25th 2:35 PM
Well, they both _do_ have beards.

So do I. Logically, I must _also_ be GRRM/RJ.

For some reason, this has not had any effect on my bank account. I will ponder suing myself until I tell myself where I have stashed away all my royalties...
cgob
Sep 25th 3:15 PM
You might have a beard but have you published any books about men with beards?
Nicholas
User ID: 0247944
Sep 25th 8:19 PM
Reasons Martin is definitely not Jordan
1. Martin doesn't drag
2. Martin's character development is worlds better than Jordan's
3. Martin won't drag his series out until the money stops coming in. He stops when the story does.
4. Quality of writing
5. Quality of writing
6. Quality of writing
Min
User ID: 9433023
Sep 26th 5:48 AM
Reasons why Martin and Jordan are the same:

1. They both have beards
2. They both are male
3. They both are writers
4. I don't know anymore
5. The idea will stir opposition, and opposing is the spice of the board.

Reason's why they aren't:

1. Martin knows how to keep a grip on the storyline

2. Martin knows how to describe characters so that they are believeable and deep

3. Martin's female characters do not sniff, smooth their skirts or tug at their braids all the time

4. Martin still knows what he wants to write about, and where his story will lead.

5. Martin does not eliminate mistakes he made in his plots by balefire

6. Martin did not discover the sex aspect only in the middle of his series

7. When Martin writes about men and women and their relationships, he does something else than letting his protagonists think "the other one understands women better than I do" all the time.

8. Martin will write six books instead of three, and announces this early enough. By the time Jordan is finished, he will have written 37 books instead of three, and no one will know if there will be more by the time the 37th comes out, just because Jordan does not know himself

9. Martin knows the balance between character descriptions, quests, battles, romance and humour. He will not write one book just filled with mooning girls, just to spend the next book just describing battles.

10. Did someone mention Martin's quality of writing?
Telisiane
User ID: 8666863
Sep 26th 8:59 AM
LOL, Min! You go, sister! =0D

11. When Martin kills characters they do not come back. (I hope.)
Min
User ID: 9433023
Sep 26th 10:06 AM
Oh, how could I forget that? That is one of the most important one.

Besides - Martin killed a character which came back to life already. In the very first chapter of AGoT. ;-)
Dirjj
User ID: 0094674
Sep 26th 9:17 PM
I don't know. It kinda makes sense. Robert Jordan is a pen name after all. I may have heard what his real name is afterall, but I don't remember. But the fact is, ROBERT JORDAN, is not the "Wheel of Time" author's real name. He has written seveeral books under several different names. Appearances are similar, and I'm sure that if they were truly one in the same, well, then the One would be wise enough not to make his styles too similar. He would make one story (characters etc . . . ) a little different than the others. eg, smart women in one book, stupid ones in another; People who contract a bad case of dead that is incurable, and people who contract a bad case of dead, but take two aspirin and feel better several chapters later. Get my drift. Unlike people with cleft-tongues, the One might actually have a head on his shoulders and be quite deceptive.

If you think about it, it would explain why WOT is taking so damn long.

ab
cgob
Sep 26th 10:54 PM
thank you Dirjj.
Min and non-beleivers take too much for granted, as opposed to unbelievers such as myself who take nothing for granted. Life especially coupled with the potential to make a lot of profit produces strange bedfellows. All I am stating is COMPARE both authors descriptions of men with beards. They are eeirly the same. Their form of character development and story structure are the same. Maybe not in plot (duh!!!!!!) but how the story develops I.E......Good character speaks,bad character speaks, so on. Plus every prologue starts the same with the "situation" of the antagonist. I sound like I really believe this but I don't. LOL

I love the devils advocate. Petyr would bow to me. Varys is my son. Syrio's kin taught me themselves. Starks unintentionally do my bidding. Lannisters (with the exception of Tyrion) are my fodder i.e.easy kills, and because of my libdio, the Freys my children. The Taragenyans are the structure that make the last 300 yrs go round. Only the Tyrells and the Dornes hold any respect which is because they don't have real plot structure yet. Dany is the focal point that the fifth book will expose. Winter isn't coming, it was there the minute the pups were found. Ned was Jesus. Robert was Judas who preceded his lord. hee hee heehee I sound like a troll.
The reason why aSoIaF is the best sf/f in the last 50 yrs. is because I can make such statments and still have believers. Unbelieve and don't touch me. Long live Thomas Covenant!!!!!!!!!
it was all a dream.
Golly :)
KAH
Sep 27th 3:53 AM
cgob;

I'm not going to ask what you've been smoking lately... :o)

Anyway, Dirjj - I think RJ's real name was James Oliver Rigney jr., or some such.
Emily
User ID: 9488873
Sep 27th 5:30 AM
Kay-Arne has a beard!!!!!!

*Radically rethinking my entire view of KAH*

Wow...I never realised I had mental pictures of you all, but I must have...I'm in shock. Kindly shave it off, Kay (or at least tell me you've shaved it off, it amounts to the same thing ;)

Oh yes...this Jordan thing. No way. If Jordan was capable of writing like GRRM he wouldn't deliberately write a pile of rubbish like most of WoT. And GRRM said that he generally kills an important character off early on, so that people will know it's serious. (Of course, given how long WoT will go on, eight books might not be early on enough.)
KAH
Sep 27th 6:23 AM
Emily;

If it's any consolation, the beard is of the 'modest' kind; I'll not compete with Metusalem anytime soon (or, for that matter, our local hero, Harald H�rfagre). :o)

If it isn't a consolation - well, that's too bad, since I have no immediate plans for removing it. ;o)
Watcher
User ID: 7761613
Sep 27th 11:23 AM
I thought you had to have a beard to be a male writer. Isn't it part of the contract.

BTW, I like Jordan's female characters much better then Martin's. See my post in Jordan vs. Martin
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Sep 27th 11:29 AM
I didn't realize having a beard was such a qualification. I've grown one in the past month and <gasp> it's grey! I don't know what to do now. I suppose I could just shave it off, I don't have any special connection to it after all.
KAH
Sep 27th 12:13 PM
Well, grey hair can give you a certain air of maturity, I guess.
Unless it's on women; then it only makes you look old. :P

Anyway, if it bothers you, you could always try to put some color in it. :o)
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Sep 27th 1:07 PM
Vain, I am not. I'll just keep it the way it is (till I feel the need to shave it off) and let others think what they will. Who knows, it may have a good effect on the opposite sex.
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Sep 27th 1:45 PM
Well, I don't have a beard but I do have a lot of hair on my back.
Omer
User ID: 0485244
Sep 27th 2:24 PM
Well, I've read 3 of Martin's books(Fevre Dream, A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings) and two Novellas( The Skin Trade and The Hedge Knight), and I loved both. I've read 7 Jordan books and one Novella, and thought they were ok at best, accept for Lord of Chaos. If Martin can change his style so much, he's a much better writer then I think anyone can be(because, styles are individual. you can play around, but I don't think Hamingway can become Arthur Miller), and a much stupider man, too.
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Sep 27th 4:05 PM
Martin is Jordan? That's utter Bobbity!
Dirjj
User ID: 0094674
Sep 27th 9:19 PM
Not that again!!!!

Hey I loved LORD OF CHAOS, well, I loved the end of it atleast. It was awesome. It made me shiver inside.

ab
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages