This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Games

Next 20 Messages
Kevin
User ID: 1766884
Oct 12th 12:23 PM
Does anyone out there play EverQuest? I'm looking for a regular group to play this wonderful online roleplaying game.
Min
User ID: 9433023
Oct 12th 1:46 PM
no, I don't, though I play roleplays, but in real life. what is Everquest about, and how does it work?
Not that I really had time to be online more than I already am, but still... ;-)
Kevin
Oct 12th 2:55 PM
EverQuest is a graphical online roleplaying game. It is not only the best online roleplaying game I've ever played, it is the best computer roleplaying game I've ever played.

You can choose from 12 races and 14 classes. The world is HUGE! There are bazillions of monsters, many NPC's to interact with, stores, shops, bars, you name it, it seems to be there. There are dynamic quests, magic items, mundane items.

You create a character and adventure in the world from a first person perspective. It is tough. They don't cut you any slack. You start off weak and pitiful (and you are). As you adventure, you get money. 1 platinum piece and you feel rich at first. That is until you try to buy say a rusty long sword which is about 4pp. As you find or buy things, the look of your character changes. You buy a wolfskin cap and your character has a wolf's head on his/her head. Different armor/weapons also give you a different look.

The alignment system is based on faction. Some of your actions are going change your reputation. If you are hunting and killing gnolls, then gnolls aren't going to like you very much. On the other side of that though, the townspeople will love you. It is all about reputation.

The real beauty of the game is the character interaction. The majority of the people you meet will be real people. Frequently high level characters will find an item that isn't worth bringing back to town so they will give it away to low level characters. If you are in trouble, yell for help. There is a good chance that someone will try to help you.

It becomes even more fun if you play "in character". The graphics, detail, and interaction that is involved with this game will make you feel as though you are in this world.
Sphinx
User ID: 0638514
Oct 12th 3:04 PM
The main disadvantage I've found with online gaming is that the world goes on without you. If you can't log in for a few days or a week or two, you get left behind. I haven't seen one yet which comes up with a plausible yet fair way of making sure you don't penalise occasional gamers without discouraging frequent use.

"Table-top" RPG's on the other hand, you meet once a week or whatnot, and if people can't make it you can re-organise or whatever. What Roleplays do you do, Min?
Kevin
Oct 12th 3:38 PM
The world does go on and that is why I want a regular group. That way when we only play once a week, we continue as a group. Quests/items/monsters respawn. I have been playing infrequently and will team up with someone but when I come back, they have advanced beyond me. The way this is set up, it is not so much the world that is important as the group that you game with. In this way it is similar to tabletop games.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the game does cost $10 a month.
Min
User ID: 1446254
Oct 13th 4:10 AM
sphinx, I play a rpg invented in Germany, so you wouldn't know it. It's named Midgard. It is similar to AD&D, I think. I am the rolemaster right now, and we play with few rules and more invention, which means: What can be told does not need to be diced. We are having smaller adventures lining around a big campaign I invented, and I make up nearly everything on my own, without books. We play with the same group for five years now, and some of us still have the character they begun with - it makes the playing so much deeper than just killing of one character after the other.
Sphinx
User ID: 0638514
Oct 15th 4:55 PM
Freeform is the way to go, I feel. Dice just get in the way of a good story. They're useful every now and then, but we rarely use them. I generally play Vampire, which I'm sure you'll have heard of, but if not, it's basically Anne Rice's world from 'Interview...' (how they didn't get busted for copyright I don't know).

Also In Nomine, Call of Cthulhu, various others. A lot of the time the system only matters for combat, and we tend to have little enough of that. I've never kept a cahracter that long, mainly because i tend to play characters who tend to go mad or something (especially in Call of Cthulhu). :)=

Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Oct 15th 5:01 PM
Hmmm. I did Cthulthu a while back. Demented, but fun. The more you learn the less sane you are. A great premise that does match Lovecraft's stories. I haven't really RPG'd since 1984 more than a dozen times or so. The problem with Everquest, though I'm interested, would be timing. Different times zones could make it very difficult.
Kevin
Oct 15th 5:52 PM
You are back east right. No problem with times zones. You just need to stay up till about 2 am on the night we play. Problem solved!
Icura
User ID: 2609274
Oct 15th 11:50 PM
I've always been a big fan of AD&D with my faviout being Pools of Raidience which ironicly is the name of a new MicroSoft RPG. I await the greatness, which is Ultima IX and have never enjoyed UO or EverQuest cause of ping time in Australia.
Kevin
Oct 18th 11:10 AM
EQ blows the socks off of Pools. I showed the game to some friends this weekend and had to wait for them to pick their jaws up off of the floor.
Icura
User ID: 1383404
Oct 30th 9:48 PM
Sorry if you thought I was a fan of pools�I just said I loved a game called Pools or raidience back in the 80's, I've never even seen the MS version.�Anyway UIX is nearly gold, so, hara hara.�I thought EQ looked fairly bad, low res low rendering it was a laugh but the game was not made for eye-candy; it was made for the experiance.�UIX will look incredible. I just updated my machine...again to be able to run with it.
Icura
User ID: 1383404
Oct 30th 9:49 PM
Sorry if you thought I was a fan of pools�I just said I loved a game called Pools or raidience back in the 80's, I've never even seen the MS version.�Anyway UIX is nearly gold, so, hara hara.�I thought EQ looked fairly bad, low res low rendering it was a laugh but the game was not made for eye-candy; it was made for the experiance.�UIX will look incredible. I just updated my machine...again to be able to run with it.
Telisiane
User ID: 2233684
Nov 1st 2:44 PM
I just have to put in the good word for Clan Lord. It's a Mac-only RPG by Delta Tao that is rather simple, has cartoony fun graphics, and few quests, but somehow manages to be SOOOO fun! If you are looking for great player interaction, Clan Lord is the way to go!

Some warnings: 1) I've heard that Delta Tao is currently restricting the number of new players it adds per week. 2) The game changes constantly, which is a sore subject for some players. In other words, new monsters and new areas of the world get added frequently, but your training and weapons can change in effectiveness too. 3) If you are looking for neat graphics, Clan Lord ain't the answer.

Anyway, I played it beta (free) for 6 months, and have been paying for 6 months ($50 initial + $10/month), and I still have a great time.
Icura
User ID: 1355924
Nov 3rd 10:11 PM
Zounds good.�Always interested to know how Linux and Mac games go.�But all I have is a mac emulator which is woeful at best :)
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Nov 4th 7:35 AM
I was surfing the net the other day and found that someone made a map for Heroes of Might and Magic III (for PC)named "A Clash of Kings". So...I downloaded it and played it. I was Robb, of course, and Lysa Arryn was my ally. After much time I defeated Mance Rayder, The Others, Joffrey fell quite easily (Actually Loras took him out), then I took out Highgarden, Storm's End, Dorne, and Dragonstone. Lysa and Robert Arryn finally got into the game and took out Dany. It was quite fun. If you have HOMM III, try it.
SinnerStar
User ID: 1251404
Nov 5th 4:50 AM
I played all those AD&D goldbox series like Pool of radiance (not the new remake) and Curse of the Azure bonds. I could never really get into table top gaming coz my friends always anted to rape and pillage, but I do play Battletech and a heap of board games quite often.

I wonder what The Wheel of Time game is gonna be like? The two Feist games sucked totally bu it looks like Jordan may be on to a winner here. I hope GRRM will allow a computer game of ASoIaF.

Oh and the best computer game ever is "War of the Lance" based on the Dragonlance novels. Being the Whitestone forces or the Highlord armies was brilliant, I can play that game for literally days.
cgob
User ID: 0053014
Nov 5th 9:18 AM
Does anyone remember the online game created from Pools of Radience? I felt like i was playing on a c-64 but you could play up to 500 people and it was very fun and intertaining. I play a lot of first person shooters (quake,unreal,etc) and played UO for a while (my ping sucked so I quit) but would like to start again. I am going to try EQ. I hope its worth it. 1st person shooters are the way to go in my opinion though. Doesn't get more realistic. What they need is a FPS that encompasses an whole world and not just a level. THen real teams and clans could form.
Telisiane
User ID: 2233684
Nov 5th 8:45 PM
Claidhaim - Where do I get the ACOK map for HOMM III? Sounds like loads of fun! =0)
Icura
User ID: 0269124
Nov 5th 10:00 PM
My faviout RPG was lords of midnight and it came with it's own Noval.�It was a spectrum game, so you probly never heard of it.��I had a look at some of those old multiplay games, but I never had a modem back then, unles you count my 2.4k��Some ppl may even remember Dragon Riders of Pern. The first Dragon flight sim.....not quite as good as Draken :)
Next 20 Messages