This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Other ASOIF legends?

Flayed Man
User ID: 9147853
Apr 17th 10:32 AM
Um as far as i know mr martin wrote a short story that took 400 years before robert and ned over thrown targayen dynasty. but i wonder this. in TSR the dragonlance series there are various amount of stories that took before or after war of lance. my question is this will mr martin (or other writers) write stories that are not well described in ASIAF?

such stories as

"Brotherly love"? (stories of ser arrak and errek who killed each other in dance of dragons)

"legend of boltons"?(how boltons knelt to starks)

"legend of valria"?

now is that possible that he would write those stories? what do you think?

Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Apr 17th 10:41 AM
Flayed, the short story the Hedge Knight takes place about 95-100 years before Game of Thrones. One of the characters in that story was Aemon (later of the Night's Watch) Targaryen's brother.

Martin has expressed interest in writing more about the characters in "The Hedge Knight" but he has said nothing, that I know of, concerning other stories from that world.

It would be great if he did write about those topics you mentioned, though.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Apr 17th 10:42 AM
Well, I've heard nothing of other aSoIaF stories from GRRM upcoming, aside from (possibly) more Dunk and Egg stories.

Not to say that it couldn't happen, though.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 17th 11:16 AM
GRRM's said, after being asked about Aemon the Dragonknight, that he could never gurantee that he wouldn't someday write a story about him or anyone or anything else that has been mentioned in passing. However, he's only expressed particular interest in writing some more Dunk & Egg stories.

He also commented in passing, just sort of speculating, that with so many people urging him to do a prequel, the tournament at Harrenhal would be perfectly suitable to write about ... but that was more musing, and not serious intent.

I don't expect GRRM to touch on 99% of what readers might want him to write about that doesn't have direct impact on the series, in any case.

Also, this may be better moved elsewhere, but I need to see how the A Song of Ice and Fire board is doing, size-wise.
Flayed Man
User ID: 9147853
Apr 17th 2:27 PM
yeah...but in dragon lance i loved series such as warriors volume, i read about "lord soth" and i learned about him in a great deal. so it would help us greately to learn about the people in thepast like how brandon stark or anyother stark unified the north, how wall was built, or children of forest those things we are not too clear about. now like dragon lance if those kind series are written it would give us more understanding and even give different opinion of others. well for me i used hate lord soth, but after i read about him, i find him more virtuous yet tragety turned him what he is.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 17th 3:23 PM
Sure. But GRRM has lots of ideas, and only so much time to write. He's even said he has another idea for another series after he's done with ASoIaF, unrelated to this setting. He'll squeeze out some Dunk & Egg stories, almost certainly, I think. And maybe he will get around to that prequel. But beyond that ... we'll have to do a dance for joy if anything else comes around. :)
Son of Hot Pie!!!
User ID: 0276214
May 11th 9:23 PM
Also, GRRM has been doing some other things.
I understand he wrote the script for one of
his novels. I think it was FEVRE DREAM.

Nothing guaranteed, as I understand, for it being made into a movie.
Ami
User ID: 2742064
May 12th 11:07 AM
I understand, SoHP, that it might be a made for TV movie, bleccccccchhhhhhhh! I'll be so upset if it is! I loved that book!
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
May 12th 11:58 AM
I'm with you o, Ami. Movies rarely, if ever, provide enhancement to the books they're based on. They instead just tend to leave us just feeling bleccccccccchhhhhh! Did I say that last word correctly, Ami? :)
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
May 13th 11:47 PM
I know, but I still like what GRRM wrote for TV. If anyone can do it, he can.
Omer
User ID: 9014973
May 14th 1:45 PM
mmm... I never saw anything Martin wrote... or if I did ( I remember seeing some Beauty and the Beast eps a long, long time ago), I didn't know it.