This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Recommended Reading VI

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Tom R.
User ID: 3647314
Feb 14th 5:22 AM
Maybe it's time to open a new thread with this...

I sort of hate to interrupt the "flow" of the discussion here, but since this is the "recommended reading" thread, I just wanted to throw out a question/comment.

Have any of you read a book called "The Jackal of Nar" by John Marco? It's described as a "military fantasy" and is the author's first book. That "first book" part made me uneasy, but it's turning out to be surprisingly good. I started reading Jackal the other day and I am actually enjoying it. It's the first work of fantasy that I've really liked since I finished ACOK (Martin has set a standard for me that few can follow!). Jackal has many of the qualities that first drew me to ASOIAF -- complex plot, gritty realism, a believable world and characters, subdued use of magic, etc.

Anyway... I was just curious as to whether anyone else has read or come across this book (the first in a projected series called "Tyrants and Kings"). I'm only about 100 pages into it so far, so it could still fall apart on me, but it's off to a very promising start.
Mike
User ID: 8394983
Feb 14th 5:47 AM
Hey Tom, I was on the Dragonstone board for a while (jumping from this one to that) but I didn't post enough to become an initiate before the site went down. Damn shame about that board, I enjoyed visiting there near as much as I do this one.

As to your question, I have read the Jackal of Nar but I didn't really like it. I don't know if I should tell you my reasons considering that you have not finished the book. So given my indecision, I won't review the book but I will say that Richius Vantran was the main source of my ire towards the novel. Let me know once you've finished so we can discuss it.
Tom R.
Feb 14th 6:15 AM
Thanks, Mike. I assume you mean "Dragonsworn board, right? (I believe there was also a "Dragonstone board" at some point in the distant past, but I'm not real sure about that.)

An annoying protagonist is always bad news, but so far Richius seems OK to me. The most annoying thing about him thus far is just his name. It always makes me think of "Richie Cunningham" on -- what was it? -- "Happy Days".

Let me ask you this, Mike. When the next book in this series comes out, will you read it? (Your choice of the word "ire" makes me think not.) That's always a good test for me of just how bad or good a series novel really is.
Mike
User ID: 8394983
Feb 14th 6:32 AM
Yeah, I did mean Dragonsworn. Thanks for the clarification Tom. :)

I may read the next book, but if I do it will only be for a lack of options and if I still crave fantasy-oriented stories.

On an upside for you, the book does have a good story and many of the other characters are enjoyable (really liked Lucyler, Voris the Wolf, and the idea of the Shadow Angels and the lions of Chandakkar), but their not always at the forefront as Richius is. So you see, I don't regard the story itself as bad, I just couldn't stand the main character which detracted from my ability to appreciate the story.
Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
Feb 14th 2:51 PM
Yeah, good job Tom. I kept looking into V because I thought there would be new stuff about other books to read, but it went totally off topic. I was thinking of giving Marco a shot. It sounds interesting. Hmm, he's got to pass 1 test first. Is there a map in the book?

ab
Tom R.
Feb 14th 5:22 PM
Yes, Dirjj, there IS a map! This world looks a bit like Westeros turned sideways. Hmmm...

Well, as I said, I like the book thus far. It isn't GRRM-quality, to be sure, but there are some pretty cool ideas in it. Flame cannons, now there's a weapon for you ... I also think Marco does a nice job with the dialog and battle descriptions.

By the way, Mike, I checked out the reader reviews for The Jackal of Nar on the Amazon.Com site. Those reviews were generally pretty favorable but, when negative, they almost always were critical of the Richius character, so you're not alone.
Mike
User ID: 0004344
Feb 15th 3:46 AM
I had been thinking about buying some Peanuts collections ever since Charles M. Schultz announced a couple of months ago that he was discontinuing the series. Now, that the series is over, and sadly the life of Mr. Schultz, I am making it a point to buy them.

Once upon a time, Peanuts was a focal point of my childhood. Every Sunday, my dad would come in with the paper and my brother and I would scramble over who got to read it first (him, usually while I had to deal w/ the soap opera comic strips) and every holiday I would take care to watch any 'Charlie Brown specials'. Schultz and his creations, from Charlie Brown to Snoopy, from Linus to Lucy, they all had a place in my heart.

As I grew older, I forgot about the comic strips and the specials and when I did finally get reintroduced to the comic strip when I was about 14, it was to Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side (Both of which are fantastic, and any of the collections are truly wonderful) and not to the sad but hopeful little boy with an amazing dog and a bunch of memorable friends.

Only now, at the end do I look back at my childhood and realize that Mr. Schultz was right there with me all the way, and the lessons that I learned as soon as Charlie Brown did. So wherever he is right now, I hope that it's a place where Snoopy still battles the Red Baron, Linus still carries around his blanket, and Charlie Brown finally gets to kick the football. You're a good man, Charles M. Schultz. Rest in peace.
labor
User ID: 0240854
Feb 15th 4:39 AM
I've recently read "Cloven Hoofs" by Megan Lindholm and found it great even despite being an urban fantasy and having more than a touch of feminine/feminist writing, which I normally don't like.
Made me regret her move into the series and transformation into "Robin Hobb". I like her series, but they look much weaker/ less inventive in comparison.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Feb 15th 10:04 AM
That was me Ran was talking to, Tom. Sorry, but the continuation of the ten commandments discussion needed to be moved. Thanks, Ran.

I finished the latest book by Lawhead and it was not good. I enjoyed his Arthur stories way back when I read them, but this one (the return of the king) wasn't worth the $$. I don't know, maybe my tastes have just changed, but I couldn't suspend my belief enough to make the book beleivable in any world.

That Marco book looks intersting, I might just have to get it.

By the way, historical fiction of the military sort will be graced by another Steven Pressfield book soon. It is about the punic wars and is due out next month. If you've read "Gates of Fire", I know you will want to get this one. If you haven't, read "Gates of Fire".
Tom R.
User ID: 8583623
Feb 15th 11:01 AM
Thank you, Claidhaim, for clarifying that point. I have to admit I was still wondering what Ran's use of "polite" was referring to, but I just assumed it was because I had barged into the middle of (and redirected) a conversation when I shouldn't have. It wouldn't be my first BB Faux Pas (nor my last, I suppose).

I've never heard of Steven Pressfield. Is "Gates of Fire" also set in ancient times? I've always hoped somebody would write a good historical novel about the fall of Troy, but I have yet to come across one. It's a great story although Homer's Iliad is a bit ... uh ... dry for my tastes.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Feb 15th 12:51 PM
No, Ran was slapping my wrists for uncharacteristic behaviour on my part. I, not so gently, suggested that the ten commandments discussion should be eslewhere.

At any rate, "Gates of Fire", which is out in paperback, is a story primarily of the Spartans, but centering around the Greek defense at Thermopylae. Truly a good read, you should check it out.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Feb 15th 1:26 PM
Along those same lines, I have been reading Colleen McCullough's series detailing the prominence of the Roman Empire from 100 B.C. going forward. It's historical fiction, leaning heavily on the historical side. Truly remarkable stuff. The research that went into this series boggles the mind. But the real key was taking all of those facts and turning them into a coherent, interesting and intelligent read. Wow!!! I finished The First Man in Rome and am now well into The Grass Crown. I am learning so much and thoroughly enjoying myself. Has anyone else delved into this long, yet enlightening, series?
Tom R.
Feb 15th 3:19 PM
Ser Gary: I did read First Man in Rome (in French, of all things), long ago, not long after it first came out. I found it surprisingly good ... I say "surprising" because I thought "The Thorn Birds" was pretty lame. But Ms. McCullough did a nice job with her book about early Rome. At the time I read it, I didn't realize there would be sequels or that it was a series. I'll check out "The Grass Crown" as soon as I finish the Marco book. Thanks. These books are helping me bide my time until ASOS.

By the way, I know that DragonLance is considered "low brow" by a lot of fantasy fans, but I really love the books in the series by the original authors Hickman and Weis. The first volume in a new trilogy by them, "Dragons of a Fallen Sun", is due out next month. I'm looking forward to reading it. (It's really too bad so many of the books in that series are by mediocre to downright awful authors, but I still think the books by Weis and Hickman are great fun.)

Incidently, Marco gives out free autographed copies of his book from his website in some kind of contest or something. If anyone is interested, it can be found at:

www.tyrantsandkings.com
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Feb 15th 3:54 PM
Tom,
You know what I'm finding? That despite our common appreciation for ASOIAF, we all have dramatically different tastes and opinions about everything else. I personally haven't read any of the DragonLance books, but know several people who liked them immensely. Thank you for your valuable endorsement.
Tom R.
Feb 17th 4:52 PM
Mike: If you're still there, I just wanted to let you know I'm now 200 pages (ca. 500 pages to go) into The Jackal of Nar and I really like this book. It's inventive, well-written, and intriguing.

I'm quite favorably impressed with the author, John Marco; he's not a George Martin, but he's a very fine writer. It's hard to believe this is his first novel. As an editor, I'm very picky about writing style and story construction (to say nothing of poor grammar and typos), and Marco is doing great so far. I am totally hooked (and this from someone who got bored with [and gave up on] Jordan fairly early into Eye of the World). As for the protagonist, Richius, so far I find him to be naive and noble and likable; Richius reminds me of a young Ned. And I LIKED Ned (may the gods give rest to his poor benighted soul).

Oh well. I'll keep you posted as I proceed through it, but so far I'd have to give The Jackal of Nar a very enthusiastic thumbs up. Has anybody else out there read this book? I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard more about it.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Feb 17th 5:21 PM
I've only just recently heard about it (no more than a couple of weeks before you brought it up.) He has some excerpts up, and they look good ... save one big caveat: he appears to have absolutely no talent for names. It looked like he culled thirty years of bad sword and sorcery for some of those names.

It sounds like a minor thing, but in military fantasy -- where geography often plays a very key role -- names have to sound "right" or it grows very annoying.
Tom R.
Feb 17th 7:02 PM
Geographic names or personal names? They both seem OK to me in Jackal. The only thing I've noticed is that the names seem kind of "all over the map", meaning that you don't get the feeling that certain names are associated with a given people or culture (as you do with Martin). Maybe that's what you're referring to. But I haven't found this to be much of a problem.

I look forward to hearing what you think of this book, Ran. We've certainly disagreed about books in the past (I still think the Coldfire trilogy was pretty tedious!).

By the way, long, long ago on a bulletin board far, far away you recommended author Stephen Brust to me. (I think it was you, anyway.) I finally came across one of his books, "Freedom and Necessity," and bought it. It's co-authored by Emma Bull and appears to be some kind of historical fantasy. It looks interesting to me and so it's now in my reading line-up. Are you familiar with this one?
Ran
Feb 17th 7:35 PM
No, afraid not, though what I've heard makes it seem as if it's not 'typical' Brust.

_Jhereg_ may be too hard to find. _Taltos_ might be easier, and it's just as good a start. Also, _The Phoenix Guard_ is very good. :)

As to names ... I don't know: Jimsin, Dinadin, Triin, Drol, Lucel-Lor, Jiiktars, and so on are just a mishmash of names or additional letters to give a fantasy feel.

For some reason, Martin taking 'regular' names and modifying them some doesn't bother me. I suppose it's, as you say, the consistency issue. But that still gives that slightly pulpy, poor quality sword and sorcery feel to the things. Which is a shame, because good military fantasy is rare.
Tom R.
Feb 17th 8:26 PM
Gosh, Ran, I just don't see it. You seem to be setting an awfully high standard. I'm not sure how much of the book you've had a chance to read, but I always find it takes a little time to get used to an author's writing style -- and that includes how an author handles names and terminology. In the first few chapters of Jackal, as in most fantasies, one is fairly inundated with new names and terms and situations, and maybe you're just reacting to that.

I think you will find that Richius' friend "Dinadin," the weird religious cult of the "Drol," the city of "Ackle-Nye," etc., all start to sound more right once you get into the story a little more. I think the author's naming skills are just fine; I don't get the slightest "pulpy, poor quality sword and sorcery feel" at all. And I love the word "jiiktar." It sounds something like "scimitar," deadly and slicing, which is just about right for what it is.

I tell you what: I'll read Brust and you read Marco and then we'll compare notes. Fair enough? :)
Ran
Feb 18th 6:10 AM
Well, other than I've got a stack of books waiting to be read, I might try him if I stumble across him. ;)
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages