This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Technical Board Problems

Next 20 Messages
Min
User ID: 0074284
Jan 31st 4:44 AM
Out of pure virtual cynism, the Thread "Nominate Topics to Delete" where we discussed the technical problems of this board, is broken.

Here's the new one. Ran, as the Moderator of this board, works hard to deal with the upsoming problems.
One of those seems to be the breaking down of thread out of thin air. We suppose that a deletion of topics might help, but we hesitate to do this without saving the discussion somewhere else. Therefore, we still look for people willing to archivate some topics or threads.

Volunteers for this may email to Ran himself. I quote his last post from the other thread:
"If anyone stumbles across problems in threads elsewhere (some threads I skip, not being interested in them), please feel free to mail [email protected] to notify me about it and I'll see what I can do".

We should all back up Ran in is efforts, he is working hard to keep this board up.
Min
Jan 31st 4:46 AM
You can follow the nature of the problems in detail on the other thread, where you cannot post anymore, but still read.
(I know most of you know, but I put this down for the newbies who don't and might be interested)
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 31st 11:28 AM
Thanks for starting up the new thread, Min <kicks the old thread hard.>

It looks like Echelon fixed the primary and most worrisome problem -- the CGI error that really messed posts up some. I think some of the breaking threads now are probably the aftermath of that, but I suspect that it won't be much of a concern after a day or two.

The archiving thing still stands, but it doesn't seem to be as urgent as before.
Min
Jan 31st 12:31 PM
Oh, I think we should not procrastinate it too much, either. I can well remember when Dragonstone broke down out of thin air, and all was lost. :-(

Thanks for your efforts, Ran. We all appreciate the time you put into this.

(Yes, I know what some of you're thinking. And yes, I _would_ volunteer to archive some threads, but I really _know_ that I do not have the time to do so, and I do not want to volunteer and then not do it, so...)
Min
Feb 9th 4:19 PM
Now THAT was what I call a technical board problem... whew. I'm glad it's over. Do we know what it was?

I think we really should get this archivating done, and swiftly... and perhaps start the board anew.
Ran
Feb 9th 4:29 PM
Well, they give that explaination on top about data errors, but nothing else.

Watcher's contacted me about archiving and he may well have already begun on it. :)
Min
Feb 10th 0:45 AM
Watcher, you're a hero!
And you also, Ran.
Though I'd appreciated your efforts even more if there would be something you could do against this background. ;-) The white is awful. *whines* Can we get the black back?
OK, I'll be patient... I'll try ;-)
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Feb 10th 7:17 AM
You'll be patient, My Lady? Hah!!! I'd like to see that!!! :)
Min
Feb 10th 7:18 AM
Well... if you had heard my yelling when I came in here again and the white was still there, you'd be right to doubt me. But you didn't hear them, and my board persona is gentle and friendly... so where did I put that rifle... hmmm...
Ser Gary
Feb 10th 9:44 AM
It's almost like we're in a different universe. A parallel universe. And now we're struggling to get back to the security of our false reality :)
Ran
Feb 10th 10:50 AM
Revanshe, I believe, is working on getting things fixed. I'll mail her and note the issue to see if she can do anything about it. :)
Ser Gary
Feb 10th 12:48 PM
Ran, nobody can every accuse you of ignoring the board's issues or the board in general. You're always on top of things here and we're fortunate to have someone like you involved. I'm impressed.
Min
Feb 11th 3:58 AM
I second that.
Min
Feb 11th 1:20 PM
Thank you, THANK YOU, Ran and Revanshe, for having fixed the black again!!! Great job!
Alex
User ID: 9892733
Feb 11th 1:45 PM
Darn! I hate that black background, it was so soothing to have had white for a day.
Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
Feb 11th 2:51 PM
Alex, bite your tongue. I feel like I'm home again. The weary wayworn traveller. Emperor Dirjj has . . . . well he's still out there somewhere.

ab
Ser Gary
Feb 11th 3:03 PM
Darkness, bleak and biting. I'm home at last!!! Nice job, Ran and Revanshe.
Aerian
User ID: 1557854
Feb 11th 4:53 PM
Ah, I see the board has taken the black. It's good to be back on the Wall (so to speak), for a several nasty hours, I feared that Others had breached the Wall . . . er, board.
Watcher
User ID: 9572103
Mar 18th 11:24 PM
I would like to apologize on my lack of keeping everyone informed on my progres on archiving the boards.

I am also sorry to report that I have not made any progress on this. When I first contacted Ran about this I started a new job and picked up two new hobbies. After I started the job, which is really cool, I found out that one of the reasons I was hired was because they were changing their main software tool. They needed someone to learn it, convert all of the old accounts to it and code new clients as they came in. I give up several hobbies, like this board and one of my new ones, while I worked 10-12 hours plus weekends learning a couple of new programs, a new programming language, changing the old code and developing programs that will work with new clients (and several other things;).

The good news is that I'm finally finished with the conversion and should not have to work more the 45 hours a week:) The other good news is that I can devote Sunday mornings and Monday nights to archive this site. My plan is to first learn the computer language Python. I choose Python because my job is going to switch to it from C, so I have to learn it anyway. Also it seems to be able to handle strings better then C. I'm also debating using a computer running the Linux OS. I've been wanting to learn how to use Linux for a while. I believe this archiving project will give me a great opportunity to do this for several reasons.

This is my ideal of fun and a great way to relax after using a computer all day at work:) So I am really excited about this project, and I'm truly sorry I haven't started yet and haven't taken the time to inform you on my lack of progress.

KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 19th 6:53 AM
Hey, we're just grateful that you agreed to make the effort! No need to be sorry.
Next 20 Messages