This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Good Movies III

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Ami
User ID: 2742064
Apr 29th 4:59 PM
Oh my God, U-571 is soooooooooooo good!!!! You guys and gals have to see it! It's so intense and Matthew McConaheghy (however you spell his @#$%ing name) is so hot! ;) just had to put that in there...

And who's dying to see "Gladiator?"
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Apr 29th 5:37 PM
I can't wait for Gladiator!!! As for U-571, I hate the water and fishes and underwater stuff, so i won't go near that movie, just like I'll never go near Deep Blue Sea, Sphere, The Abyss, or Flipper. The only water movie I like is Waterworld and I don't know why, maybe cuz I like Costner, but he didn't _make_ the movie great. So I dunno. But I can't wait for Gladiator.
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Apr 29th 10:28 PM
Gladiator is gonna rock!!!!!
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Apr 29th 11:07 PM
Yup, Its all about guys fighting in an arena. Next friday in the states ya'll.
WeissVan
User ID: 1042384
May 2nd 9:53 AM
Hey Ran, yesterday I watched your namesake -- I'm of course referring to Kurosawa's "Ran".

Wow.

Did GRRM ever indicate that "Ran" gave him some inspiration in writing ASOIAF? There are no direct parallels, but the whole scheming with lords and antagonistic family members, including wives from the houses of former enemies seemed an atmosphere very much akin to ASOIAF. I also found it neat that the Great Lord had committed atrocities against and shown no mercy in his day, something we don't see on screen, but is an intregal part of the story that unfolds.

And Lady Kaede is more than a match for Cersei!!

I highly recommend "Ran" to all GRRM fans.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
May 2nd 11:11 AM
Ahh, well. Might as well ask if King Lear is an influence on GRRM, since Ran is Kurosawa's version of Shakespeare's play. :) Brilliant story, though. Kumonosu jo ("Throne of Blood" in the U.S.) is extremely good too, and that's his try at Macbeth. It stars Toshiro Mifune, who was always a pleasure to watch on screen.
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
May 9th 4:32 PM
Zer0, Waterworld was an awful movie. Apart from the fact that the first three quarters of an hour _was_ Mad Max 2 (not was like, _was_, only not as good), it was corny, had bad acting and worst of all had Kevin Costner in it.

Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
May 10th 2:38 PM
I can't believe no one has spoken of Gladiator yet!!! I saw it on Sunday. That movie was cool. I will definitely have to see it again. It kinda makes me wonder if the director (Ridley Scott) is a GRRM and Robin Hobb fan. I swear, I saw so many similarities.

Russell Crowe's (Perfect for Eddard!) army looked like a Lannister army. Same colors, the lion, everything. Then you had the new Emperor, man, he was so much like Regal, and had his henchman (Praetorians) do a lot of bad things, just like Regals followers.

You all gotta see it.

ab
sparhawk
User ID: 0436494
May 10th 2:52 PM
no offence, dirjj, but robin hobb can't write for shit.

on another note, gladiator's out over here this friday too. can't wait.
Brady
May 10th 11:33 PM
Gladiator was definetly the best movie of the year so far.Yeah, I noticed the similarities between Maximus and Eddard too, and the Emperor was a bit like Joffery(even looked like him)
xaosx
User ID: 0492334
May 10th 11:43 PM
Joffrey has blond curly hair, Jaoquin Phoenix has black hair, i see no similarities :)
Son of Hot Pie!!!
User ID: 0276214
May 11th 1:10 AM
Hi . . . I'm new here and a big fan of Hot Pie,
among the other characters.

Anyway, here's my take on THE GLADIATOR:

Good but not great. Definitely worth seeing
though.

I went in expecting a great film and left
disappointed. The action scenes were spectacular,
although some of the quick action movements were
confusing.

Russel Crowe was excellent and Phoenix was very
good . . . sort of reminded me of THE FALL OF
THE ROMAN EMPIRE at the beginning.

I really wanted to like this film, but it lacked
complexity. Basically, it was good guy versus
bad guy.

Regardless of my harsh critique, I expect the movie to be a true Blockbuster. Hopefully it will spur more Historical films as well as launch lots
and lots of fantasy movies in the future. But,
LOTR will probably determine the latter event, if
it happens at all. *fingers crossed*

Son of Hot Pie . . . THE SEED IS STRONG!
Brady
May 11th 6:43 PM
I wasnt talking about a physical similarity, though Joaquim does look very young. He had a personality very much like Joff, trhrew temper tantrums when he didnt get his own way, love of bloodshed etc. And the black hair could easily be disguised by a wig or something
Brady
May 11th 6:43 PM
Oh and welcome Son of Hot Pie!
Son of Hot Pie!!!
User ID: 0276214
May 11th 7:03 PM
Thanks, Brady!
REDHORN
User ID: 9391453
May 11th 7:11 PM
ROBIN HOBB IS THE BEST!!! SUCK ME SPARHAWK!! I WILL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND FEAST ON YOUR INARDS!!! DIE A SLOW DEATH!!!!!
sparhawk
May 12th 5:22 AM
robin hobb sucks donkey balls!!!!!
his writing is sterile, nondescript, slow-moving crap, with all the suspense of a train timetable. it was a struggle to get through farseers apprentice (isn't that what it's called?).
he's not a patch on GRRM.
Ami
User ID: 2742064
May 12th 11:05 AM
Boys, Boys! Do I need to separate you?!

Son of Hot Pie, My take on Gladiator is much like yours.
I was disappointed because I did not fall in love w/the characters, they we're too 2-dimensional. I guess I'm spoiled from reading, huh? Or rather spoiled by GRRM.
Anyhoo, it was still a movie worth seeing. I loved the sets and the costumes (ooh, baby, Russell Crowe looked hot in his armor and cloak in the snow!) And the battle scene kicked ass! I loved the soundtrack, too!
I'm about to see Battlefield Earth in an hour! My husband read the book years ago and loved it. I've never read it but I really like sci-fi so I'm looking foward to it, even tho' it's put together by a bunch of weirdo scientologists...LOL
No offense to those of you who might belong...
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
May 12th 11:56 AM
I actually liked Battlefield Earth as a book. Pure pulp, not serious or literary. But just fun on a rather mindless level. I had no idea about the Scientology thing until after I read it. I don't know much about Scientology, but I didn't see anything in that book that had even a remotely religious or cultish element to it.

The movie looks a bit too serious to me. The actual story in the book was rather ridiculous -- completely over the top and unbelievable. But that's what made it fun.
sparhawk
May 12th 12:05 PM
hey ami, instead of separating us, would you like to join in? and then we could all make up!!! heh heh heh...
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages