This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Gift of Dogs

Next 20 Messages
Kennel Master Jack Apr 5th 11:39 PM
Man's best friend. Indeed. Although not as attractive as women, sometimes dogs are a little bit more fun to be around, no?

Greyhound is the best breed...
Swithin
User ID: 7893693
Apr 6th 1:33 AM
I'm guessing KMJ is... Ran! But I digress.

I have a Yorkshire terrier. She is a wolf. A very small wolf. Most amazing living being I know. She kicks ass, we're a team.

Greyhounds are cool too. I've known very few, most of them seem to oscillate between lethargic and hyper-active, but they've all got smart and pained eyes.

All dogs are cool.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 6th 6:03 AM
KMJ is definently not me. ;) I'm a fan of Brittany Cocker Spaniels and, and I have to admit my fiancee's love of Boxers is growing on me.
Arend
User ID: 9941493
Apr 6th 8:21 AM
Ran,

was that a pun :-)
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 6th 10:09 AM
No, can't say that it was. ;)
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Apr 6th 1:36 PM
Cats are way better than dogs!
Snake
User ID: 0101764
Apr 6th 9:40 PM
Cats suck. Huskies are the greatest.
Swithin
User ID: 7893693
Apr 7th 0:40 AM
Whoa, Sphinx... now I'm convinced that *you* are the evil twin!!!

BTW, I'm allergic to cats, although I bear them little hostility.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Apr 7th 7:28 AM
I currently have a mutt. Picked her up at the pound and never looked back. Great dog. I've had purebred English Springer Spaniels, Great Danes, and Border Collies before, but my $25 dog stands above them as a companion.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Apr 7th 8:39 AM
1) I'd rather have an ugly dog than an ugly woman.

2) Cats do suck

3) Mutts are better than purebreds

End of message.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Apr 7th 1:15 PM
And I thought we already _were_ out of hand...
Sphinx
Apr 7th 2:11 PM
Though this is clearly an utterly pointless argument (especially as I seem to be outnumbered):

Cats have more personality, more individuality. A cat does what it likes - think of the expression 'follow you round like a lost puppy'. Cats would never fetch sticks. Cats are a lot more chilled out than dogs. Cats never bark and bark at people for apparently no reason (lets face it, barking madly at someone as they pass your yard is like saying 'fuck off! get lost! go away before I savage you!' for a human).

I agree that mongrels are better than purebreds, in any species. Just look at our royal family... :o)
Generic Eric
User ID: 8339223
Apr 7th 3:48 PM
I must confess, Kennel Master Jack was my doing. I have a miniature pincher right now (as a rule I don't really like small dogs), but Rusty is the coolest canine I've ever owned. Besides my first dog, Rifle, who was the odd mix of Greyhound and Whippet. What a great companion he was.

Swithin, indeed, Rifle was quite the lethargic guy. But he was extremely long suffering. Poor guy. I think I was about 8 at the time we got him, and he would take so much crap from us kids. Not abuse, mind you, just the normal crap kids do to dogs, which make mostdogs either bite, or run and hide.

I must say, in a world without dogs, maybe cats would be okay. But why in the hell would you want a cat if you can have a dog??
Kennel Master Jack Apr 7th 3:53 PM
Dogs never hiss and scratch at people for apparently no reason (lets face it, arching your back and clawing at someone is like saying 'I'm stupid and scared even though you're trying to be nice to me' for a human).
Aerian
User ID: 1557854
Apr 7th 4:14 PM
Oh, cat's don't hiss and claw at people for no reason, they usually have their reasons, but they don't like to share.

But then I would say that for I am a shameless cat person. I like dogs, but they're so dependent that I've never wanted to own a dog.
Sphinx
Apr 9th 3:39 PM
Uhuh. I reckon that having a dog is kinda like having a kid, whereas having a cat is more like having a friend (who crashes round your most nights).
Swithin
User ID: 0610144
Apr 9th 8:55 PM
Sphinx, my dog is my sister. That's it. I spent last night at a good friend's house, and he and his girlfriend have a cat. She's wonderful... but she's not a sibling by any means. She's actually closer to me than she is to my friends.

It seems to me that having a cat is like having a cool yet unresponsive foreign exchange student shacking up in your home.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Apr 10th 9:54 AM
Having a cat is like having a guest over to your house who just eats your food, ignores you, and drinks out of your toilet.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Apr 10th 9:59 AM
There is a great benefit to women in having a dog.

To keep my dog from drinking out of the toilet, I am forced to put the seat down all the time. :o)
Min
User ID: 0860834
Apr 10th 10:43 AM
...suppose that is the _only_ way to force men doing so...
LOL
Next 20 Messages