This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Other Topics / Must Think Happy Thoughts

Sphinx
User ID: 2226594
Mar 7th 3:35 PM
Things seem to have gotten a little tense recently (which topic could I possibly be talking about?) Sorry for starting such an incendiary topic... I thought we might have a light discussion to remind everyone how great we all think each other are. So:

What's the most intelligent/remarkable/memorable thing you've seen anyone post on those boards?

For me, Min's description of the autistic kid has to clinch it, but LindaElane's analogy about the leaky lifebuoy on one of the old religion topics is probably up there, too. Any others?
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Mar 8th 0:36 AM
Eh? I've been away for a few days, what topic are you talking about?
Swith
User ID: 0289604
Mar 8th 1:19 AM
The gun topic.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Mar 8th 7:23 AM
Sphinx, you're right -- the gun topic did get a bit heated. A lot of people expressed some very strong feelings on the matter. But, in retrospect, I think it says a lot about this board and the people who frequent it that we are able to intelligently discuss such controversial issues here. I honestly believe each side came away with a better understanding of the positions on the other side. We may still not agree with them and vice versa, but everyone benefits for having participated. Don't regret that.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Mar 8th 7:39 AM
Well Sphinx, I would have to say judging the "duel" between Min and Jeff was probably the highlight for me. You really had to be there to get the whole effect. If you missed it, it's somewhere around here in a topic called "The Duel".

As to the discussion on firearms, I was truly interested in all the discussions. I didn't post a lot since Jeff voiced my opinions much better than I could have, but I did put my oar in the water on occasion. It was good and healthy. For the most part.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Mar 8th 8:02 AM
Good topic, Sphinx. Sort of like the Academy Awards for the Board, eh?

The Duel was fun, I admit. I'm a bit partial to Ran's Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory for the single most intriguing post. I have no idea whether its correct or not, but I like it anyway.

Actually, I'm also a little bit partial to Audrey's post about Hot Pie. We always discuss the "big" issues and what's going on with the major characters, but Audrey's point emphasized that Martin doesn't want us to forget about the "little people" as well.

KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 8th 8:43 AM
Oh, it's so much...

But Ran's GUC Theory was certainly a revelation.

And I very much enjoyed my debate with Jeff about moral guilt. (don't know if anyone else got into it...it grew kinda, er, long-winded :o)
Ser Gary
Mar 8th 8:59 AM
In terms of remarkable, how about rookie of the year Wethers introducing "The Phantom Dragon" to the discussions in late September? Just when we thought we had identified and covered everything in the series to date, Wethers jumped in with an observation nobody else seemed to notice.

Personally, I have most enjoyed participating in the many Sandor/Sansa discussions, and serving as a member of The Neck family players.
Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
Mar 8th 2:37 PM
I think that the Potpourri Threads must get the nod for BEST GROUP PERFOMANCE.

It should also be nominated for:
Comedy
Drama
Action
Intrigue

yeah, that's it.

ab
Ex-Hand KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 8th 2:58 PM
*ascends podium*

*screeching feedback from microphone*

*enourmous applause from the audience - which cannot be seen from this camera angle*

Thank you, thank you. I love you all so much.
I'd like to thank my father and mother, and my dear deceased cat Festus; without their unceasing support and love, I would not stand here today.
I...I...am so TOUCHED!

*a lot of boohoo'ing from KAH*

*great AAAW'ing and enormous applause from the audience*

*sniffles*

Anyway, donations for my dear deceased cat Festus' memorial foundation are of course very welcome - contributing to the welfare of mysel...er, cats all over the world. Open your hearts and your wallets, people - it's for a good cause!

*enourmous applause*

*KAH leaves the camera's focus, waving to the audience*

*camera swings around - focus on KAH again, and also taking in an empty warehouse, staged in the original focus as a great auditorium*

*KAH turns off recorded applause from the 'audience', then turns to fact the camera - with a very stricken look*

Hey! Is that thing running still?

*pause*

Oops...
Ser Gary
Mar 9th 9:10 AM
LOL!
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Mar 9th 12:50 PM
(adopts Terence Stamp voice): Where is this... 'GUC'?
Min
User ID: 0074284
Mar 10th 12:05 PM
Nice idea, swithin. Though I am sure everyone knows that despite... _because_ all those heated discussions I love you guys.
I loved the Sandor discussions, and the discussion about redemption, a topic founded by Jeff. Now _there_ was a topic where we disagreed, wasn't there?
Don't fret about heated discussions. Jeff and I should be the best example that people can disagree _all the time_ and still be friends. :-)

My most favorite topic, though, was the Neck.
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Mar 10th 5:27 PM
I really enjoyed Haaruk's crazy theories. He made poetic comparisions to future events in the series it was...different. Besides that i will never forget the Neck.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Mar 13th 7:42 AM
*lifts a glass of dark, red wine to the memory of Haaruk*

Wherever you may be, brother.