This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Waiting for 'A Storm of Swords'

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Omer
User ID: 0485244
Jun 20th 3:25 PM
How do we kill the time till 'A storm of Swords'?

5. Re-read AGoT and ACoK for the millionth time, seeing if there is a line we don't know by hard yet.

4. Reading Wheel of Time and going "Martin could have done this better"

3. Reading the Bible and going "Martin could have done this better"

2. Trying to convince the board to give Martin a Novel prize for Literature.

And the number one way to kill time till A storm of Swords:

1. Posts Boards about the best way to kill time until A Storm of Swords!

(Obvious joke, I know)

Come �n, what's your way?
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Jun 21st 7:32 AM
I read other fantasy books, Omer. Some of my other favorite authors include Guy Gavriel Kay and Tad Williams. I'm currently reading The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, and I'm very impressed with her writing as well.

I also like to read straight fiction from time to time. My favorites authors there include Richard North Patterson, Stephen Hunter and Nelson DeMille. And, of course, I do quite a bit of posting on the ASOIAF message board.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 1195644
Jun 21st 10:57 AM
I read other GRRM stuff. I have two books of hisshorts stories, "Portraits of his Children", and "Sandkings". I also have a copy of Armageddon Rag on the way. They aren't aSoIaF but they are definitly GRRM and I haven't read anything of his yet that I didn't enjoy.

I also read other authors, I 've just finished Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic, which was alright, but not as good as the Farseers first volume.

I'm waiting for Tad Williams Otherland part 2 : River of Blue Fire to come out in pb.

After that Water Sleeps by Glen Cook (Black Company novel).

Ser Gary
Jun 21st 1:28 PM
Ser Benjen, I too am waiting for Tad's Otherland part 2 to come out in PB. It should be any day now, actually.
Ser Benjen
Jun 21st 1:49 PM
Hey Gary. I haven't read any Guy Gavriel Kay yet. Which one should I do first?
Fourthman
User ID: 0923684
Jun 21st 2:47 PM
I'm with SG, I try to read other genre's as well as fantasy, because I have a hard time reading fantasy that is substandard to I&F (read: most of it. However, my vote for the most unexpected and innapropriate fantasy novel of the year is "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris (in case it wasn't clear; it sucked). I'd like to seem them try and film that one verbatim. But expressing one's self creatively, be it with code, comedy, or conjugal visits, is the method I reccommend most highly to pass the year we have ahead of us.
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Jun 21st 2:48 PM
My opinion on Kay:

It's all great. ;) There's two ways to go.

One is to try Tigana, Kay's first standalone novel. It is, I think, technically his strongest work, filled with originality. It's filled with 'emotional pyrotechnics', to borrow a phrase, but much of Kay is. His prose, plotting, characters, etc. is just great.

But, for various reasons, some folk haven't liked it (morally questionable characters and all.) For someone who likes ASoIaF, I doubt this matters. ;)

The other way is to start with Kay's most mainstream, coventional novel, _The Lions of Al-Rassan._ Most folk put it over or just under Tigana, and I have to say I think it's great. It's almost an alternate history, with only the merest glimpse of magc, but ... it's cool.

Either way, enjoy. :)
Ser Benjen
Jun 21st 2:54 PM
Thanks for the info Ran. I think I'll do Tigana.
Kristin Jun 21st 3:13 PM
Glad someone else agreed that Hannibal was horrific. Someone on an AOL message board suggested that it was Harris' own small rebellion against Hollywood.

Speaking of code, Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson ought to kill plenty of time--the book could serve nicely as a doorstop, and is so dense I had to take breaks from reading it.

Song for Arbonne, also by Kay, was lovely. I can't decide whether I prefer that one or Lions of Al'Rassan.

And read Connie Willis! I left post about her in the Recommended Reading folder under Other Topics.
Ser Gary
Jun 21st 3:32 PM
Kristin, Ser Benjen. A Song for Arbonne is one of my all-time favorites. I loved it. The writing, the story, everything was beautiful. In fact, check out my review from last year on Amazon.com.

Fourthman, I try to read a straight fiction book in between long fantasy series. I don't like to segue from one long fantasy into another, because things can get a bit confusing sometimes. I have to sort of step back.
Fourthman
User ID: 1989294
Jun 21st 8:44 PM
Kristin; breaks from Cryptonomicon? That's the Book of the Year (I read Clash in 98)! I went throught it like a hot 4th through butter! But I agree it is dense compared to previous NS works. I did my own review of Hannibal on Amazon & B&N.com and I agree with the rebellion aspect but it kinda kills the characters (figuratively) and alienates the readers. It's great that the word "code" reminded you of Cryptonomicon. It was that book that prompted me to put code in there. And speaking of series, the 'con is only volume one of a longer one, but I think it's near perfect by itself. Anyhoo, for those who want non-fantasy fiction, and are sick of the post Columbine violence draught, pick up any James Ellroy novel and read the hell out of it; or even better, journey to NYC for my show on Friday (which I've gotta get back to writing!)
Omer
Jun 22nd 12:09 PM
Kristen - I heard the name Connie Willis - Is she the opne who wrote 'Uncharted Terittory' ? I'd love to read more of her books.

What I'm reading:

Right now I'm reading university stuff, as well as The Left Hand of Darkness, by Orsulla K LeGuin.

Next:

1. A Farewell to arms, Hemingway - 'Boy do I love Hemingway. He's kinde' similar to MArtin, in the sense that it's very real politics, and strong characters. and he's a better writer, even if The OPld Man and the Sea' was one of the worst books I've ever read.

2. A book called confederacy of dunces, I don't know why. - some on-line reading group at 'Entertaibnment Weekly'

3. Endymion - The thirdbook in the Hyperion Catus. Hyperion Cantus is th ebest Sci-Fi series I've read since Foundation.

4. Sorcerers of Majipoor, by Robert Silverberg.

5. A Widower for a Year, John Irwing

6-7. Maybe's : Magician by Raymond E Feist and Foundation and Chaos by George Bear.

8. I'll try the Farseers. I'll probably get the book iun Hebrew, though.

I think this shouls help me to kill some time... BUT I WANT A STORM OF SWORDS !!!

And as much as I love book discussions( and I do, book fans are smartert then TV fans!), I wrote this board as a more comedy oriented board. So.
oba
User ID: 8987493
Jun 22nd 1:24 PM
For any fans of the late, great Frank Herbert's Dune series, the "prequel", House Atreides is due out this fall. His son Brian and a collaborator (whose name escapes me) put the prequel together based on Mr. Herbert's notes. Hopefully it will be pretty good.
Omer
Jun 22nd 2:33 PM
Paul Anderson... and although I thionk DUNE is a truely great book( besically, WoT is Dune crossed with Tolkin), I havenn't read any other DUNE book, and have no intention of reading the Prequel.
oba
User ID: 8987493
Jun 22nd 3:05 PM
I stopped after God Emperor of Dune, but I'll give the prequel a shot.
Kristin Jun 22nd 6:26 PM
Yes, she is....the ones I'd recommend would be Doomsday Book, Lincoln's Dreams, and To Say Nothing of the Dog. The first two are very serious, the third very funny.
Omer
Jun 23rd 6:44 AM
Cool... I'll check out her books... maybe at Amazon.Com first...

Did you read all her books, most of 'em etc? There's a short story I think she has written... about a woman Sc-Fi writer who's computer starts to show the plots of her books... know whatI'm talking about ?

I read three stories in 'Uncharted Territory' and although I didn't liek the one who won the Hugo very much, I loved the other two
Min
User ID: 9433023
Jun 23rd 8:25 AM
I am killing the time with work. Twelve hours a day are really sufficient. But no, I still read books meanwhile. Mainly fantasy books, though it's not only fantasy I like. I really like the old classics, Shakespeare and some such, but with so much work, it is really hard to concentrate on those. So I read fantasy in English: Nice to relax, and keeping my English in good shape as well. Right now, it's the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. They were mentioned on this board already, and they are terrific (if not as well as ASoIaF).
Keri Stevenson Jun 23rd 9:00 AM
If you want to read a good stand-alone fantasy, _Lords of the Sky_, by an author named Angus Wells, is really great. It's pretty long (650 pages) and told mostly in first person, so if you like shorter books or multiple viewpoints... But otherwise, try it. The main character, for once, isn't a superhero, just a man who asks questions that make a lot of people nervous.

And Guy Gavriel Kay... There are days I really can't decide if I like him or Martin more. I've read his new one, _Sailing to Sarantium_ (which is part one of either a trilogy or a duology, depending on who you talk to) and it was *excellent*. If the next book in that series- The Sarantine Mosaic- and _A Storm of Swords_ come out at about the same time, I'm going to be financially pinched for a while, because I won't be able to not get them both :).

Same with Glen Cook. I know I've recommended him before, but both the Black Company series and the Garret Files series are good if you like long-running stories about the same characters, that are nevertheless not really epics.
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Jun 23rd 10:26 AM
Well, I guess I can't let this little topic go without plugging one of my favorite fantasy authors: Steven Brust.

As many can attest, I've posted this little tidbit of information at least four times now and I am a big fan of his "Khaavren Romances". I know there are others here that enjoy his work. I just wish he'd get on with writing the last novel "The Viscount of Adrilankha" which is now going to be three books.

They follow the same style of Dumas' classic Three Musketeers, 20-years after, etc. but the story is simply great with honor, sorcery (nothing big, really), greed, courtly love, adventure, fighting, and a great sense of humor. If you can't find them, or you don't really want to, at least read Dumas, his story is truly timeless.
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages