This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Jon and Dany?

Julo
User ID: 9788223
Jul 6th 8:47 PM
Many think that Jon (ice) and Dany (fire) are gonna get married and rule toghether, therefore the title "A Song of Ice and Fire." However, doesn't a SONG encourage a DANCE (a duel)? So wouldn't the title mean a battle between Jon (ice) and Dany (fire)?

-Just a thought,
Julo
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Jul 6th 8:48 PM
Interesting, Julo. It can also be interpreted more literally -- a battle between fire (which dragons are incarnations of) and ice (the Others)
Moreta
User ID: 9565813
Jul 7th 5:46 PM
I was all for a Jon and Dany match but then I realized if Jon was Rhaegar's son, he'd be marrying his aunt Dany.

Are the three heads of the dragon supposed to get along? I think yes, but not necessarily. What if the three heads collide, just like Julo says?
Rebecca
User ID: 7538493
Jul 8th 7:25 PM
Then you have the Dance with Dragons (like the war between Aegon II and his sister Rhaenyra).
Maeglin
User ID: 9259363
Oct 2nd 6:21 AM
Has anyone ever thought it might be ice and fire coz Lyanna(ice) and Rhaegar(fire)?
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Jan 21st 9:12 PM
To revive this discussion:
GRRM says that the Song of Ice and Fire can and does have many meanings...most of which shall remain a mystery until the sixth (maybe fifth) book. The one meaning I can see it having now is this:

The contrasting motif of the story is that of ice/cold/north/winter & fire/flame/south/summer. All these are appearent throughout the first two books; this being the Ice and Fire. Songs in medieval days (more-so than today) told epic stories. The song refers to the story of the conflict 'tween Ice and Fire. Plain and Simple.
Ella
User ID: 0380734
May 24th 6:39 PM
I would say that Dany and Jon would be getting together in the next few books, for sure, but when I think about it it's just a little too obvious. Everything I've ever thought would happen in a GRRM book has turned out wrong so far. I think the Lyanna and Rhaegar idea is reaching a little bit, but it's not nearly as obvious.

What do you think?
Nynaeve
User ID: 2345204
May 24th 11:44 PM
I hope they don't get together. I like them both immensely but not as a couple. There's something...cheesy about that, to me.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
May 25th 5:12 PM
Agreed, Nyn. And a bit incestuous, which is something I think Martin may wish to stay away from given the history of the Targaryens and Lannisters.

I think Jon is going to end up as some sort of a leader of a Watch/wilding hybrid that will survive Book 6. He'll stay in the North.

Other potential spouses for Danys? Can't see Robb. Even if he lives, I think he'll stay in the North. How about Tyrion? Weird, but you never know.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
May 26th 5:37 AM
I'm of the mind that Dany will not marry at all.

For one, there's the implication of letting her power be vulnerable to usurpation. Westeros is still a patriarchal society, and many would-be husbands would not like to defer to Dany as the power-wielder in the relationship.

Moreover, she can't have children, which pretty much discontinues the royal duty of marriage. Perhaps she will be able to have children in the future, but I don't think that's going to happen.

And, of course, she didn't find it all that likely that anyone could match up to her late husband, Drogo.
Nynaeve
User ID: 2345204
May 26th 11:44 AM
Didn't GRRM skim around the question when asked, "So is it true that Dany is barren?" The way he answered leads me to believe she will procreate again. I also believe she will marry because of the strange things she was told "You will betray for love -- or whatever." I don't remember to save my life. One thing is for certain, it won't be Jorah.

Nyn
Markus
User ID: 8820133
May 26th 5:16 PM
The prophecy was more along the lines that she will be betrayed three times: for blood, for gold, and for love.

It's generally assumed that Mirri Maaz Duur was the first betrayer. And I think Illyrio and Jorah are the current favorites for the further betrayals.

As for a potential husband of Dany, I think it's not unlikely that if she marries again (and not for political considerations), then it won't be somebody like Drogo, because everybody who is like him wouldn't look as well in the inevitable comparison.

Therefore, seemingly unusual candidates with un-Drogo like attributes and strengths like Tyrion, Bran or Samwell should at least have as good a chance as anybody else.