This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Aerys' Kingsguard

Rania
User ID: 0896204
Jun 19th 7:48 PM
Does anyone know who the 7 members of Aerys II's kingsguard were?
I can think of the following:
Jaime Lannister
Ser Gerrold Hightower
Oswell Whent
Ser Arthur Dayne
Ser Barristan Selmy

Who were the other two?
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 19th 7:57 PM
Ser Jonothor Darry, brother to Ser Willem Darry who helped Queen Rhaella, Viserys, and the unborn Dany escape to Dragonstone.

Prince Lewyn Martell, uncle to the princes Doran and Oberyn and the princess Elia.

They both died on the Trident.

Ran
Jun 19th 7:59 PM
BTW, that's from the So Spake Martin collection. Mail #24 in:

www.westeros.org/Heraldry/SoSpakeMartin-SSC.html
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Jun 19th 8:36 PM
The three at the Tower of Joy seemed to be the ones Rhaegar trusted the most. The Darry's seem an interesting family, loyal to the Targaryens to the last, now wiped out by the Lannisters
Rania
User ID: 0896204
Jun 19th 9:22 PM
Thanks a million. I thought I had read somewhere in the GOT that one of the Kingsguard was a Prince of Dorne ... but I could not find it anywhere.
Lommy Greenhands
User ID: 9377263
Jun 21st 4:44 AM
Does anybody know if anyone specific has been mentioned as who might have killed the two Kingsguard on the Trident, i do remember something about Jason Mallister killing some of Rhaegars bannermen but not sure thats the same thing.
Ran
Jun 21st 6:06 AM
Nothing has yet been said. Jason Mallister might have accounted for one, though "bannermen" doesn't really indicate the Kingsguard. GRRM might choose to reveal it in the future -- I wouldn't be surprised, actually, if Bronze Yohn Royce perhaps accounted for one.
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jun 21st 10:14 PM
Do I assume that Gerold Hightower dies at some point, since he is Lord High Commander in the Tower of Joy scene, and Barristan is high commander 14 years later? Which Kingsguard survived the war? (ok, I know Jaime and Barriston) and which died? (I know Arthur Dayne is dead.)
Tom O.
User ID: 1167284
Jun 21st 11:40 PM
Everytime i read that passage, I get the impression that all died except for Howland Reed and Ned. This includes the 3 Kingsguard.

I reread the passage (this is my favorite so I have it marked) and it does not say really. I can not remember completely, but i think Ned states somewhere that only he and Howland survived. This may be inferred by me because Howland is the only other individaul who knew the truth about what happened there at the Tower of Joy. If the others had survived then they would have known as well IMO.

LOL. Now i will have to reread the book to find out unless someone hear is going to be so good as to remember the reference points in AGOT. :)

Tom O.
Ran
Jun 22nd 5:16 AM
Just as Tom O. says. All the KG save Barristan (who nearly died on the Trident) and Jaime (who was the only KG left to guard the king and the family in the Red Keep) were killed. In the page after the dream, Ned pretty much states that Hightower, Whent, and Dayne died fighting against his men at the tower of joy. Only he and Howland Reed survived.

Barbarossa
User ID: 3034424
Jun 29th 7:18 AM
I'm not sure if Ned ever says that all three kingsguards were killed, but he certainly implicates it, and another indirect hint, he remembers riding away from the tower of joy leaving 8 graves. (5 from his friends + 3 from the kingsguard).