This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Sexiest Characters II

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Min
User ID: 1446254
Oct 21st 4:05 AM
The topic about who is sexy in the book and who is not, about arrogance, challenge and attraction.
Min
Oct 21st 4:09 AM
The last posts:

Watcher
User ID: 7761613
Oct 20th 2:55 PM
If some mistook me for a centerfold, I would list
arrogance in the turn-off section. Arrogant
people aren't worth the effort to get to know
them. Once you got them, they are still arrogant
and you still have to play their egotistical game.
Besides how many arrogant people do you know
that actually deserves to be arrogant?
Arrogance does not imply competence.

Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Oct 20th 3:21 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does
being a "challenge" make someone sexy? Not to
get too Freudian, but doesn't that seem to be a
confession of self-doubt? In other words, you
validate your own self-worth by obtaining,
conquering, whatever someone who is
"challenging".
Was it W.C. Fields who said "I'd never join a club
that would accept me as a member"? It's the
same idea: "somebody who wants me can't be
very desirable", or on the other end, "I must be
someone special if [insert challenging person's
name] wants me."

I'll admit that a _little_ bit of chasing can be fun sometimes but that ends as soon as you have
"gotten" that person. Once the "challenge" is
gone, does the sexiness go with it?

I'm not saying this to be judgmental; I'm really
very curious because I've never looked on it that
way myself, and it sounds like Watcher may feel
the same. So somebody enlighten us. :-)

Swithin at the U
User ID: 9844073
Oct 20th 7:55 PM
I didn't say that all arrogance is sexy, but
sometimes a female villain who's got 'the goods'
and wants to take over the world can seem quite charming.
Min
Oct 21st 4:11 AM
Jeff, I never meant challenge as in "hard to get", and not as in "arrogant" either. I tried to define it several times. I meant challenge as in "more to him than meets the eye". Depth. That was what I meant.
Jeff
Oct 21st 8:13 AM
Min, I understand your definition of a "challenge", and I couldn't agree more. Being with someone who only has one or two dimensions would be very boring. Also, it would likely be very difficult for them to find clothing that fits properly. :-)

Jeff
Oct 21st 8:14 AM
Actually, I once broke up with someone because she thought I was too perfect. Everything I did was the best, everything I said was the funniest, if I liked it, so did she. I can't fault her taste, but it really drove me nuts.
Min
Oct 21st 9:21 AM
Well... poor, blind girl. ;-)

No, I understand that. I had a boyfriend once who was the like. He wanted me to decide, to virtually rule his life. I would not. He adored me, and he expected me to take all in my hadns. It was boring. And after a while, I found it to be very unsexy, too. :-)
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Oct 22nd 6:42 AM
Jeff;

Well, I supposed that Reek and Ramsay had the same preferences - I think lady Hornwood mentioned that in aCoK.

Also, I think Groucho Marx once said that quote you came up with. I don't know if it was his originally, tho, or if he only quoted Fields.
Sphinx
User ID: 0638514
Oct 24th 3:02 PM
I think we might be blurring the lines a bit here between someone being sexy and someone being the kind of person you'd want a serious relationship with. I mean, the more people in the world who are both, the better, but otherwise...

I agree that arrogance is not conducive to a lasting relationship or even to someone being fun to be with in general. But I stand by it being damn conducive to a lot of other things...

Also, with regard to why someone being 'hard to get' makes them more attractive - well that's the big question, isn't it? There's a long history to it... I seem to recall some old story about a beautiful garden where the fruit from just the one tree was forbidden, and in that story, it sure made the fruit look a whole lot more desirable to the garden's inhabitants...
KAH
Oct 24th 4:13 PM
That's not 'hard to get', that's 'forbidden fruit'.

In the first case, the girl is fending you off, in the latter case, the girl is (more or less) willing, but her gruff father is waiting for you with his shotgun, behind the corner. (at least in the context of Eden :o))
Min
User ID: 9433023
Oct 25th 2:39 PM
oh, He _shot_ Adam and Eve? I think I read a different story... LOL
KAH
Oct 25th 3:13 PM
A different story? But...but...haven't you enjoyed
the passages where Adam got Eve on a lease contract from God because Lilith got too expensive?

...and where Adam get's this really juicy idea from music of some punk-rock band called 'Lucifer', and immediately starts abusing a mind-drug called 'Apple'?

Not to mention how it was Noah's fault that the dinosaurs died out, since he thought he couldn't take such heavy critters into his fourteen footer?

It's all _here_... *taps book*...in this book which is called _'the Bible'_! *notice something under the food stain on the cover, scrapes it off*

...'the Bible _on acid_'???

No wonder my confirmation class gave me those weird looks...
Min
Oct 26th 3:46 AM
well... *scratches head*... yet another interpretation, I suppose. ;-)

Darned apple. We would all run around naked if not for that. On the other hand... looking outside my window into the pouring rain, I guess it's just as well as it is.
Snake
User ID: 0018434
Oct 29th 8:13 AM
I'm toosexy for my hat. Whatcha think about that?
LindaElane
User ID: 7733333
Nov 6th 3:37 PM
Hurray! I just found this topic...what fun!

I have two qualifications to make before I answer. First, I think the young characters all act about 5 to 7 years older than their age and I always imagine them as such. So, please know that if I name a young person, I am picturing them as well over 18 in spite of the age given in the book.

Second, I have heard it said that women have a larger corpus callusom than men :-) Its some brain theory about "wholism". I find it difficult to just base attraction on a guys looks. This is especially true when they are in books and I cannot even see them! So, for me "most sexually attractive" and "most romantically attractive" are close to the same thing, though not exactly the same thing.

Last qualification is that I am not asking for one night stands with all of these guys....well, not with most of them. :-) Saying a character has sex appeal and saying you would act on the appeal are not the same.

That having said....This is a book chock full of incredibly sexy men! Why all those tournaments and jousts ....enough to send a poor girls heart a flutter!

Ok, heres my list....its actually going to be four lists. Most sexy/least sexy male and guesses about the females. I will post them in reverse order of interest to me, so the one that interests me most is last.

1) Women who I think I would not like if I liked women. Don't take this too seriously though, cause I am 100 percent hetero...if I were a man I would be gay :-)

Asha (gag, barf)
Lysa (mainly for breast freeding a 6 yr old)
Septa Mordane (reminds me of Nurse Ratchet)
Dany (burning people alive = sexy not)
Cersei (no attraction for murdresses)

ok...you can see I am not doing well here. I am rejecting then for their personality. Personality does not count as a qualification for sexiness in the male world. Sue me. I am doing a poor job of imagining myself male. Still, I will try the next list.

2) Women I think might appeal to males.

Shae - lovely, smart, realistic and enthusiastic about sex
Puppet Girl -heck they would like the name :-)j/k
Melisandra - nothing like a good seduction by a red witch
Mya Stone

Ok, I am bored with thinking about women. Now its on to the fun stuff. The guys!

3) Men who = sexy not

10 Jaime - I just can't see his appeal.
9. Ilyn Payne (ill, in pain)
8. Theon - (aka Clinton in tights)
7. Littlefinger -makes you think of little something else :-)
6. The Mountain that Rides (gag, barf,..ewww)
5. Mad Targaryens
4. Mord -nuf said
3. Roose Bolton -is that his name? I am trying to forget him.
2. rapist of the 13 year old

:::drumroll:: and now for the least sexy of all

1. Walder Frey.....gag, barf, ewe...deliver me. I cannot believe some of the guys think he might be appealing because he can get it up at 98. He forces all those women to marry him! Better to throw myself from the tower window than him. He's mean, ungy, selfish and crazy.

Well, this post is getting long. I am going to make a separate post for the "sexiest men". Before I do it, I am just going to sit here and think about it for a couple of hours. :::sigh:::

Jeff
Nov 8th 9:57 AM
Theon = Clinton in tights. Perfect, LindaElane!

LindaElane
User ID: 7733333
Nov 8th 7:50 PM
Well, thanks. I am not sure its perfect. It does bring up an "in tights" idea though. I wonder who Al Gore would be "in tights". Donald Trump, James Carville, Pat Buchannon....its sort of like casting the movie, but by personality. Oh well, don't answer that here. If it works, it should probably have its own thread. I am just not feeling inspired right now to come up with these equivalencies. If it does get started it should probably be called "men in tights", though of course women could be on there too.

I know I have yet to post my "sexiest guys" list. I am just having such fun trying to think of them all before I post :-)
Jeff
Nov 9th 8:18 AM
Donald Trump would be -- Tywin Lannister? James Carville -- Littlefinger, or maybe Varys. Pat Buchanan would have to be Stannis Baratheon. Jesse Ventura -- Robert Baratheon. Ross Perot? Oh, I could say Moon Boy but that would be a little unfair. Maybe Tyrion. Hillary Clinton -- Cersei. That would make Elizabeth Dole Catelyn I would guess. Ronald Reagan -- Hoster Tully (yeah, I know that's in bad taste). George W. Bush -- Edmure Tully?

I guess its telling that no-one really fits the role of Ned, huh? Depending upon your political leanings, I suppose you could nominate Mccain or Bradley (not that I'll be voting for either).

Watcher
User ID: 7761613
Nov 9th 12:31 PM
Interesting list LindaElane (not to be confused with LindaEvans;)
I'm glad you bought up two females I missed
Mya Stone - Resourceful and fearless, way cool
Puppet Girl - from the Hedge Knight. She seemed nice.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on Dany.
She is intelligent and is confident but not arrogant. She also has silver-gold hair and exotic purple eyes, wow. Not to mention learning bed tricks from an expert.

For her I would be willing to overlook the massacre or two she led;)
Min
Nov 11th 9:58 AM
Oh, Dany, as I believe, is very on top of the men's list. And Asha for some, too. Were I am man, I would like them, too.
I am sooo eager to know your sexiest men... as some of _my_ sexiest were already on your "not sexy" list. I imagine that you're having fun thinking of them, but do not let me wait too long. :-)
Min
Nov 11th 10:00 AM
Oh, Dany, as I believe, is very on top of the men's list. And Asha for some, too. Were I am man, I would like them, too.
I am sooo eager to know your sexiest men... as some of _my_ sexiest were already on your "not sexy" list. I imagine that you're having fun thinking of them, but do not let me wait too long. :-)
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages