This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Are the Starks knights?

Rania
User ID: 0896204
Jun 19th 9:25 PM
I know that this sounds like a really stupid question, but please bear with me.
Some place in ACOK, someone a northerner, thinks to himself that the North did not have knights because knights had to be annointed with the seven oils representing the seven gods and the people of the North did not believe in the seven gods.
Does this mean that Ned and his brothers and Robb are not and will never be knighted?
And if this is true , why then does Bran dream of being a knight?
Ants
User ID: 2240694
Jun 19th 11:22 PM
Its true that Ned et. al. are not knighted. Don't know how Bran is going to get around this considering he obviously does worship the old gods.

Many northerners are not knights. This is mentioned when Rob is moving out in aGOT. Bran is asking Maester Luwin how many of Rob's host are knights and Luwin says that although there are few knights, there are lots that would be if it weren't for their beliefs.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 20th 5:01 AM
The Stark children seem to have been raised with a rather bi-religious life. They worship both the old gods and the new, for the most part. Robb has made his choice to follow the old gods exclusively, as has Jon. Arya is ambivalent about religion, but prefers the old gods. Sansa has spent time before in the sept and before the tree in the Red Keep.

I presume Bran figured that when it came time to decide whether he'd stick to his father's gods or to those of his mother, he'd choose the latter just so that he could become a knight.
Rania
User ID: 0896204
Jun 20th 9:57 AM
Good point Ran. Thanks.