This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Music to Read Martin by

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
WeissVan
User ID: 1132714
Jan 26th 4:05 PM
Most folks I know enjoy reading in silence, but another buddy of mine and I really dig reading fiction to classical music and movie scores to evoke the moods and heighten the tension of the book. For example: John Barry's "Dances with Wolves" score is great for reading RJ's "The Shadow Rising". Anyways, for Martin, I would recommend these: Philip Glass's "Kundun" score and his 2nd Symphony (for scenes among the Dothraki); Shostakovich's symphonies; and Loreena McKennitt.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 26th 4:28 PM
Wagner and Orff are the ones who work best with me. Mostly for battle type things, though I'd say that Orff turned down to give just that slight medieval flavor. I haven't tried it lately, but I suppose someone like Clannad would work quite well too.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Jan 26th 5:12 PM
The Soundtrack of the 13th Warrior goes nice with the battle scenes. :-) I love scores anyway, so I have a whole lot to go with the books.

As for classics, I prefer operas, and they are not to read along, but to listen to. Orff and Wagner wouldn't work with Martin for me. Beethoven does, though.

Clannad, too. And original medieval music.
Ran
Jan 26th 5:20 PM
Strange. Beethoven's my favorite, but I've never found an appropriate book that fit his music properly. Maybe little bits .... and now that I think of it, the bits of symphonies 5 and 7 are fitting a particular series of books -- Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy (which, BTW, I recommend -- particularly to women; the story and characters and magic and setting are quite cool and are what interesting, but women seem to prefer the atmosphere [dark and .. ahem ... erotic] and certain (tall, dark, and devastatingly handsome) characters.)

Wonder if we could setup a score for the major scenes in _AGoT_ and _ACoK_. ;)
Keelyn
User ID: 9600383
Jan 26th 8:25 PM
I think a great tune for "A Song of Ice and Fire" would be The Last of The Mohicans. Maybe a theme song. I haven't tried listening to music while I was reading, but it sounds like a good idea. I often listen to a tune and it might reming me of something that happened in a book.

as for The 13th warrior, that movie was filmed in my back yard!...............it still sucked. However, I don't remember the music too well.
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Jan 26th 11:08 PM
I totally agree with Loreena McKennitt!!!

Today was strange...I was at the local music store looking at the Celtic section when I found this one CD by Wolfstone called "Seven". They're a Scotish Band who are kinda Celtic Softrock, it's weird. I don't recommend buying it, but what made me buy it was it reminded me so much of ASOIAF. The name of the band: Wolfstone, reminded me of the Starks. The title of the album, "Seven" reminded me of the Seven Kingdoms. There are a few song titles in there that lit a spark: "Black Dog" made me think of the Hound and "Crowfeathers" mad me think of the Wall and Night's Watch and Jon Snow and such...it was really weird...
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Jan 26th 11:56 PM
I read with Rock'n'Roll. When A Strom of Swords will arive, I'll go to my room, put 5 CDs in my stereo( Probable list: Frank Black - The Black Sessions; Pistolero, The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Ramones - Its Alive; The Pixies - Death to the Pixies) , and reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaad!

Omer
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Jan 27th 5:16 PM
Min, I have to agree on Clannad. Also good for reading to, especially for fantasy - Miranda Sex Garden, Dead Can Dance and His Name Is Alive; what I call 'swirly' music.
Min
Jan 27th 6:00 PM
"swirly" music is a very good term for what I would like to listen to when reading fantasy. I can think of no better word.

Do you guys know Noa? She's an isrealian singer, and "swirly", too. Another one is Haris Alexion, a greek singer with the same touch. But I suppose Israelis and Greek are not that popular in America. :-)

If I had to choose for someone to make the score for the film, it most definitely would be Jerry Goldsmith. The man is pure magic. He made the score to nearly every good film you watched, though you might not know it. He as the man for the score, and Clannad singing the soundtrack - that would be great.

Ran, ever tried the Hungarian Dances to fantasy?
Swithin
User ID: 1383404
Jan 27th 8:10 PM
From Dead Can Dance and similar to Loreena McKennitt there is Lisa Gerrard... only I think most of here lyrics are simply intentional musical gibberish, which somehow makes the reading experience more honest. Delerium is in a similar vein, but they use guest vocals and more instrumentals than the aforementioned, giving their albums a more diverse, if trite, set of sounds. Portishead (Beth Gibbons!!!) is good for reading, and so are some of the better ambient bands (like Fluke.) Paul Oakenfold's CDs also do wonders. Ryuichi Sakamoto (who played the prison camp supervisor opposite Bowie in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence) is very good for that hollow, drippy feeling. And Seattle residents know the wonder who is Jason Webley (he actually agreed to play Mahler, literally and on his accordion, if I shoot a super8 short I'm planning this spring!)

As for classical, sadly, I do not own nearly enough of the recordings I want to have. Bruckner's Ninth symphony is perfect for ASoIaF, and his ecclesiastical works do it also. Faure is fun, but the true Requiem for reading is Mikis Theodorakis's from Canto General.

I have to run to catch a bus.
Swithin
User ID: 1383404
Jan 27th 8:12 PM
Oh, and Hari Alexiou has some great CDs out, but I prefer Marinella. There both great. An egyption singer (whom I believe to live in England) is Natacha Atlas. Her music's great for reading, somewhat along the 'I don't understand yet I comprehend' lines of Lisa Gerrard.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jan 28th 7:28 AM
I do not particularly like to listen to music when I read - if I do, I'd like the music to match the mood in the books, and it is virtually impossible to manage without managing the CD-player constantly, since the mood changes from time to time, and since my reading speed is rather inconstant.

So if I listen at music at all, the music should preferrably be somewhat neutral and non-disruptive. Which means I usually give my NIN CD's a rest when I read. :o)
Min
Jan 28th 8:33 AM
that's why I prefer the "swirly" kind of music when reading fantasy... Music that pulls you into an abyss, somehow, without pushing the mood.
Shagga
User ID: 9022063
Feb 2nd 0:53 AM
i like reading to mellowed out music. The Braveheart soundtrack sounds awesome. I like to listen to Radiohead a lot when i read. And of course tupac
Ami
User ID: 2742064
Feb 2nd 11:49 AM
Oh my god, KAH, I was going to come in here and simply put "NIN is the only music to listen to" just to be silly. Even funnier tho' (at least to me) is that I don't like to listen to music when I read. To me, music is on the same level as reading, like it's something else to do - e.i. I either listen to music or I read - am I making sense?
Ran
Feb 2nd 12:06 PM
I admit, I rarely actually listen to music -- as such. But I like background noise when I read. TV, someone mowing a lawn, or just about any sort of music (country annoys me, in general, and anything really loud is too much) will do it for me. A completely silent room is ... distracting.

Which is odd. You'd think that means I like company, but beyond the fiancee, I prefer solitude. Go figure. ;)
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Feb 2nd 12:41 PM
Background noise is good for reading, if it is monotonous.
If it is _not_ monotonous, I start listening, and I get distracted.

Perhaps I should invest some bucks in techno music. :o)
Byron Feb 2nd 5:37 PM
Elliot Goldenthal's "Water Fire Paper" goes well with aSoIaF. So does Shostakovich's 10th, and Grieg's Peer Gynt (I hope I spelled that right) suites.
Min
Feb 2nd 5:58 PM
Kay, no, that would be no good idea. :-)
Techno is one kind of music I definitely do NOT want to listen to while reading...
Lord Jester
User ID: 2700404
Feb 2nd 7:41 PM
Hey, i love listining to techno when i am reading. there have been many a times when i get to and exciting part(such as battle scenes) and the music goes right along with it.
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages