This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Choose Your Master!

Next 20 Messages
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Apr 8th 8:18 PM
Harken upon my words, for I am the Street Prophet! It is time now. Time for all of us to make a choice. Time to choose your master!
Who will you follow?
My secretary Ms. Oracle will present us with the names. Ms. Oracle?
Thank you Mr. Prophet,
Well, the subject at hand is who would you follow unto the ends of the earth? If you had to don you mail and longsword and choose a warlord to swear service to, who would it be? Now we here at Soothsayers Inc. realize that there are many leaders in this book whom we haven't been introduced to yet. Mance Rayder, Doran Martell and even Mace Tyrell have only been seen in glances. And currently Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark and Jon Arryn, heroes of an earlier age are all resting six feet under (that includes Renly Baratheon). So this all limits our choices. But given even these factors in mind there is a wide selection to choose from.
Tywin Lannister
Robb Stark
Stannis Baratheon
Daenerys Targaryen
Balon Greyjoy
Robert Arryn (hey, your choice)
Mace Tyrell
Mance Rayder
Doran Martell
and including a variety of smaller lords and rebellious knights if you wish. Such examples include Thoros of Myr or Beric Dondarrion. The Bastard of Bolton, Tywin Lannister or anyone else you can think of that controls their own force of men (which can include unsavories such as Gregor Clegane or Vargo Hoat)
Choose my friends! But choose well. . .
Greyjoy
User ID: 0860834
Apr 8th 8:46 PM
Follow someone???
I'd follow myself damnit!
However, if I led myself to a dead end I guess I could be seen in someone elses retinue. Hey Prophet, where the hell is Tyrion on your list?
I thought you were wise....
Anyways the choice is obvious (and I don't mean one of the Greyjoys) Tyrion is the man. You stick to someone with half a brain and who knows how to lead (and is pretty damn good at wenching too).
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Apr 8th 9:13 PM
To follow a hero in the making, I would choose Beric Dondarrion, also because hes really pissing the Lannisters off. greyjoys choice is good, Tyrion seems to be a natural and intelligent leader. Overall, I would have followed Ned to the death(as most of his men did). He seemed to truly care for his men(remember his anguish when Jory was killed?)
Rhiannon
User ID: 1153984
Apr 8th 10:21 PM
Simply because I liked Ned so much, I want to say that I would follow Robb Stark. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem the be much of a leader yet. If he doesn't die in the near future, perhaps he will be as capable a leader as his fatehr. As it is, I would go with Beric Dondarrion.
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Apr 9th 0:20 AM
Actually you'll notice I mentioned Tywin twice. Once in the list and the other in the paragraph after the list. The second time I mentioned Tywin I was trying say to Tyrion, but I goofed. No, that would be too cruel not to even mention our favorite little guy.
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Apr 9th 1:37 PM
My hormones tell me to get in good on Daenerys side. But chances are if I were with her khalasar, I would realize her numbers are small and the only hope she would have of winning lies with her dragons.
Chances are I'd be in Westeros. It would really just depend if I lived in the North, South, or the Dorne. If I was North-born, I'd follow Robb Stark because of his noble cause and the fact that he has many caple leaders and heroes all around him. If South-born, I would follow the Tyrells. They are a rich family with an alligence to the Lannisters, a very capable House. Then I think if I was Dornish, I'd stay that way...they seem like a very loyal and powerful House (seeming how they withstood Targaryen rule for longer than anyone else).
Malice
User ID: 1759784
Apr 9th 6:54 PM
Well, Mance would be a good deal of fun. <g> If I were a sick person interested only in my own well-being, I'd probably go with Tywin. But he and his cronies are on occasion quite chilling (if experienced). If I really had to choose, I'd go for either Daenerys or Tyrion myself. Sure Dany's very far from claiming her crown, but I'd imagine that a person who stuck by her until her success (~fingers crossed~) wouldn't be unlucky. Sure Tyrion is all but dead. Still, they are admirable people -- that's not to say Robb is not, but I, too, believe he'll be quite dead in a while.
Insincere Dave
User ID: 1557854
Apr 10th 5:09 AM
I'd go with Dany. If only to "chance my arm".

Beric would be my second choice, i like his hit and run style.

Question for the anoraks: Which house has a spotted treecat, yellow and black, on a mud brown field, for its sigil?
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Apr 10th 9:45 AM
I'd probably be up on the Wall, myself.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Apr 10th 10:04 AM
Tyrion would be my first choice. He seems to show concern for those under his command. After him, maybe Danaerys or Robb.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Apr 10th 10:28 AM
Dany all the way.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 10th 11:08 AM
I'd be proud to be a man in the Blackfish's company, for my requisite minor lord/knight. And, for that matter, following Robb is a good deal. Dany's plight is a tough one, but I agree with those who'd say they'd follow her. And Tyrion would be the most enjoyable man to be lead by, I suppose. ;)
Snake
User ID: 0101764
Apr 11th 11:07 AM
Robb Stark. To follow the Young Wolf is the only option.

Then probably Dany or Lord Tywin. Dany has the odds against her and you gotta like that. Lord Tywin is a brilliant battle commander so your chances are extremely good with him.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Apr 11th 12:14 PM
I would hesistate following Tywin because he seems rather cavalier about the lives of his men. The left flank at the Green Fork was _supposed_ to collapse, and I think that he lost a fair number of men at the Red Fork simply to make a convincing diversion.

Not to say that he is a bad general. But the lives of his men seem of value to him only in a utilitarian sense. I'd love to have him as a subordinate commander -- but serving under him might not be as pleasant.
Shaun
User ID: 1822634
Apr 11th 7:31 PM
I like Robb a lot, he is definitely one of the highest on my favorite characters list. I think I could feel a great deal of comraderie following him, as well as inspired by the cause of justice and the noble nature of the Starks. However, I would have to think twice, because Robb seems to currently be in the worst position of all the leaders. While I refuse to give in to the idea that his death is inevitable, I do recognize things aren't looking too good for him.

The other person I could follow easily is Tyrion. He's got personality, wit, charisma, and knows how to jest on himself and those around him. He's a realist and tells it bluntly just how it is. He takes good care of those who show him the slightest sense of loyalty or compassion, and he has the intelligence to use those at his disposal to what they are best suited. While he has been helping a group that I, and probably most of you, don't want to see come out on top, as well as the fact he isn't in too good shape right now, I figure that in the end he is going to be a key element in seeing that those on the side of right (whoever that might end up being) come out on top. The Imp is indeed a giant among average men.

So Robb or Tyrion are the only ones I could see myself following. Currently in not too good situations, but hopefully will come out better in the end.
Trebla
User ID: 0721754
Apr 11th 7:33 PM
After careful consideration, I'd have to align myself with Mace Tyrell. I just remember Robert's description of all the nekkid girls swimming around Highgarden and it makes me,uhm, stand at attention ;0)
Ser Benjen
User ID: 0240854
Apr 12th 8:06 PM
I'd still like to see more of the Dornish court before I give my final word on who I'd follow. For now, I'll say Lord Jason Mallister.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 0240854
Apr 12th 8:18 PM
Or maybe Lord Tytos Blackwood of Raventree
labor
User ID: 8722703
Apr 13th 7:39 AM
Well, it isn�t like a woman has the same set of choices in Westeros, but if I was male, I think that my set of choices would strongly depend on my own initial situation.
I.e. if I was a collateral true-born offspring of an established House, for instance, with more or less cushy income to fall back on, or a freerider/hedge knight.

Having said that, I couldn�t have worked for Tywin Lannister, not after the Sack and certainly not after the ravishing of the Riverlands. Nothing wrong with a honest looting and a bit of violence versus civilians, but that wholescale slaughter was sickening.

I would also prefer my employer not to be blatanty in the wrong if possible. OTOH, I would also consider my perspectives.
Service to the Starks, for instance, seems singulary unglamorous in the peace times, even if one is lucky enough to be retained on permanent basis. No tourneys, scant perspective of knighthood \i.e. Alyn\, all the important positions filled by hereditary service gentry, thus little chance for advancement, no perspectives of gaining lands, no real city... Thus extremely scant opportunity of social advancement. I might have followed Ned during the war of the usurper, because it all looked so noble, but likely not later.

I guess that Baratheons or Martells would have been my choice, since both of those Houses allowed newcomers to rise. I don�t know about the Tyrells, they seem to emloy chiefly other noble scions.

I would have followed Tyrion if he was Lord Lannister or had some independant position of his own. He seems to look out for his people and that is worth much.

If I heard about the dragons, I would have followed Dany, no question. I would have considered her case just and the dragons a sign of heavenly approval. Besides, while following a pretender is an incredibly risky gamble, it also pays very well when he/she succeeds.

So, as the things stand in the books, I�d say Dany.

Ilyena
User ID: 1390494
Apr 29th 1:02 AM
Well, since I'm sleeping with him (from the Sexiest Characters poll) I guess I'd be following Tyrion. Which would unfortunately align me with the Lannisters... ah well. If Tyrion refused to ditch that hussy Shae ;), I'd probably hie on over to Beric Dondarrion. Guerilla warfare sounds interesting, he's actually on the right side, and he's third on my sexiest characters list. (^_^)
Next 20 Messages