This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / Vote for your top 5

Next 20 Messages
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Jun 14th 11:20 AM
Top 5 scenes you would like to see painted (I mean how many hundreds of times can Bilbo & Gollum get painted and represented, but it is still cool) and your Top 5 prequals or histories you would like to see written as a novel.
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Jun 14th 11:25 AM
Top 5 Painted Scenes
1) Ned standing next to a dead Lady as The Hound looms above on horseback, a murdered Micah on the ground.
2) Bran being thrown from the window
3) The execution of Gared, and the Stark boys watching.
4) Tyrion charging the Mud Gate
5) Melisandre birthing the shadow as Davos looks on in horror.

Top 5 Other novels
1) Another Dunk & Egg story
2) The battle where the three dragons were unleashed (Merxes, Vhagar and Balerion) on the two Kings and their armies.
3) The death of Aerys and the battle of the Trident.
4) The Seige of Storm's End with the Onion Knight
5) The story of the Andals and the Children of the Forest.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 14th 1:17 PM
1)A shocked Ser Waymar Royce gaping, as the Others materialize out of the Haunted forest around him

2)A Tri-pict a.Jon and Sam kneeling in the ring of Weirwood trees swearing the Oath. b.Arya breaking the "wooden sword" over her knee in front of the heart tree in Harrenhal. Ned cleaning Ice at the foot of the heart tree in Winterfell.

3)Three knights of the Kingsguard standing before the Tower of Joy, drawing their swords.

4)Dany lying in the ashes of Khal Drogo's funeral pyre, cradling her dragons.

5)Tyrion's view of the green "holocaust" on the Blackwater Rush as the his cogs full of wildfire destroy Stannis' fleet.

5 Other novels
1) The War of the Usurper or Robert's Rebellion
2) The Tourney at Harrenal(Where Rhaegar gave Lyanna the Crown of Beauty)
3) The Dance of the Dragons (the battles for sucession fought between Aegon II and his sister Rhaenyra)
4) The Doom of Valyria
5) The Battle of the Dawn (at the end of the Long night, circa 8000 years before aSoIaF)
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Jun 15th 3:33 AM
Nice topic.
1). A group of wildlings (fanciful characters like Rattleshirt and Crowkiller) riding on horse around a mammoth with people on it's back. They are trudging through the mountains on fresh snow.
2). Bronn and Egen dueling in the Eryie with the crowd watching (ex. Catelyn, Tyrion, etc.)
3). Arya bowing before Clegane as he looms over her in the village.
4). Daenerys sitting in her throne of bone and ash with her three dragons. She is looking directly at the viewer.
5). Tywin with his helmet off but all his other splendid armor on, on top of his horse surrounded by all his major lords and knights (Clegane, Marbrand, Brax, etc.)
Sphinx
User ID: 8882983
Jun 16th 6:00 PM
I only recently reread AGOT, and haven't read ACOK in awhile, so here's my AGOT Top 5:

1) Sorry if it's obvious, but the birth of the Dragons. Only seen from above, the fire in the centre of the picture, and the things that are lying about just coincidentally suggesting a rough circle, giving the whole scene a slight tinge of a summoning.

2) The dead direwolf with its cubs around it, with the albino off to one side.

3) Viserys' death, with the gathered khalasars and Vaes Dothrak's great hall in the background, everyone laughing at him.

4) Cersei and Ned meeting in the Godswood, one either side of the picture and inbetween, the Weirwood can be seen behind them. Just at the point Cersei leaves on 'you win or you die'.

5) Arya nose to nose with one of the Dragon Skulls, the picture fading into darkness at the edges.
Rania
User ID: 0896204
Jun 18th 10:29 PM
Five paintings:
1. Castle Black with the Wall as a background and
the Benjen leading his ranging group over the Wall.
2. Catelyn confronting Jaime in his dungeon cell at Riverrun.
3. The Kingsguard in front of the Tower of Joy
4. Rhaegar giving Lyanna the crown of Roses at the Harrenhall tourney
5. Sandor and Gregor fighting at the end of the
Hand's Tourney

5 Prequels:
1. Egg becomes king.
2. Prince Aemon and Queen Daenerys
3. The conquest
4. Dance of Dragons
6. The start of the Night's Watch

LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jun 19th 11:59 PM
Can someone tell me why its called Tower of Joy? In the best known passage, Ned's dream, its just referred to as "a tower, long fallen" IIRC
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 20th 5:05 AM
"Ned had pulled the tower down afterward, and used its bloody stones to build eight carins upon the ridge. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitte r memory."

That's a page after he awakens from his pain-and-drug induced dream in GoT. :)
MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
Jun 20th 2:23 PM
Scenes:

1) The Tower of Joy
2) The Trident, Robert and Rhaegar fighting.
3) The Dothraki Sea as Dany first rides into it.
4) The scene of Lyanna's death.
5) Winterfell, when Bran and Rickon are leaving it, after hiding in the crypt.

Some of you mentioned some great scenes that I would also love to see. Waymar Royce as he is surrounded by the Others. Greywind biting off the Greatjon's hand, the Wall, a weirwood, the Whispering Wood, The Red Keep after Stannis attacks, Tyrion rushing out the Mud Gate, Arya watching Syrio fight the Lannisters, Tyrion looking like a gargoyle above the door in Winterfell, the Eyrie!
Street Prophet
User ID: 1307164
Jun 21st 5:55 PM
What's a carin?
Ran
Jun 21st 6:07 PM
A mound made of stones under which someone is buried. Usually done when it's easier and quicker to entomb someone in that fashion rather than digging a proper grave, such as in mountainous places with lots of stone in the ground.
MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
Jun 22nd 1:32 AM
Is it really "carin" or was it meant to be "cairn?"
Ran
Jun 22nd 5:19 AM
Cairn's right. Didn't notice that SP mispelled it. :)
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jun 26th 1:19 PM
Actually, you mispelled it first, Ran. I suppose that's why SP was confused. ;o)

Since most of the cool scenes have been taken, I hereby (just to be peculiar) present to you 'the SAN QUENTIN calendar'.

January:

Tyrion peering over the edge of his sky cell. Angle above slantingly, so that we see Tyrion, a little of his cell, a hint of the other cells - giving the Eyrie an impression of being a honey comb, the abyss under him - perhaps emphazised by clouds or something. ;o)

February:

Lord Guncer Sunglass and the Rambtons stripped almost bare and sweating like horses from the heat in the cell at Dragonstone.

March:

Jaqen, Rorge and Biter chained down in the wagon.
Arya is peering up at them, Jaqen holding his beer mug upside down at her, showing her it's empty. Biter bares his filed teeth at her.

April:

Catelyn holds a sword, and is peering down at Jaime, with Brienne watching them both worriedly.

May:

Ramsay Bolton being pushed into a cell by a commanding Ser Rodrik - Ramsay is smiling/sneering. A Winterfell guard is holding his nose over the stench. ;o)

June:

An image split by a wall - to the left we see Jon peering apprehensively over at Ghost snarling at the cell door - to the right we see the wight Othor lurching silently over the guard he just wrung the neck on.

July:

Edmure stumbles to his feet as Bracken (or was it Blackwood or the Greatjon?) is breaking into the compound in the Lannister camp where he and the other captives are held.

August:

Sansa tries to comfort her weeping friend Jeyne Poole, in the Hand's tower quarters that now has become her prison.

September:

Dany is glancing back at the naked wine merchant that tried to poison her; struggling to keep up with the horse whose saddle his hands are tied to.

October:

Ser Alliser Thorne is sitting in the cell Tyrion put him in, glancing sourly at the smashed jar at his feet, and the contents - a skeletal hand. ;o)

November:

Robb is giving Ser Cleos Frey his demands of Cersei, for which Ser Cleos will be let out of his cell - for a while.

December:

The former Grand Maester Pycelle is sniveling as he is dragged out of his quarters by Shagga to a cell, the pitiful remains of his once-proud beard laying at Tyrion's feet.

So...what do you think?

I tried to come up with situations that concerned different people and captivity or the release from it of some form, and took a few liberties as some of these are not scenes that we actually get to see (but are not _very_ unlikely).
Ran
Jun 26th 1:43 PM
Heh. So I did.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jun 26th 2:27 PM
Damn. I knew I forgot someone.

Skip Cleos Frey for November (I didn't like that suggestion anyway) and put in Ned being handed a wineskin by Varys.

Much better scene.
Street Prophet
User ID: 1307164
Jun 27th 0:53 AM
That's all right Ran, I forgive thee.
Lannister
User ID: 0136334
Jun 27th 9:39 AM
1) Ned in the Godswood with Cersei
2) Ned's execution
3) Jaime reluctantly stepping down from the Iron Throne after the conquest of King's Landing (flashback obviously)
4) Syrio fighting the Kingsguard so Arya could escape.
5) Stannis' fleet emerging on the horizon as it approaches King's Landing.

I think any of those would be very dramatic scenes.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Jun 27th 10:39 AM
From ACOK
1. Tyrion's entrence to KL
2. The Red Commet
3. The Parlay, Renly offering Stannis a peach
4. Davos and Melissandre in the boat
5. Tywin entering The King's court, with the crowds and the cheers.

I think all these would be pretty cool.
Nynaeve
User ID: 2345204
Jun 28th 10:45 PM
I don't need five, I just need this one. I pathetically tried to draw it myself. HORROR!!! I should not be allowed to pick up a drawing instrument! There should be a law against that. It's like people who think they can sing going to kareoke.

Anyway, Arya fighting in the trees of Harrenhall. You can even call it the "Kingdom of Leaves"

Nyn
Next 20 Messages