This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / The Sack of King's Landing

Rania
User ID: 9147853
Jun 26th 0:03 AM
Okay, I have a really long set of questions about the sack of King's Landing and the role tha the Lannisters played and why they played it
1. How long befor the arrival of Ned Stark did Aerys allow Tywin Lannister into the city? Days? Weeks? Hours?
2. Why did the Lannisters kill everyone including Elia and Rhaenys and Aegon? Was it to prevent having any Targaryens present who could possibly claim the crown? This might be very naive of me, but if Aegon was still alive and still in King's Landing he would have been crowned king? I dont think that Robert or Ned would have allowed the murder of those babies and their mother and it is possible that Aegon would have been allowed to inherit his grandfather's throne as Henry III and Edward III did after the rebellions against their fathers.
3. Did Ned's swift arrival to King's Landing prevent the coronation of Tywin Lannister?
Aaron
User ID: 0317884
Jun 26th 11:47 AM
Well, in AGOT towards the beginning Ned speaks to Robert about what he percieves as Lannister treachery when Jaime sat on the Iron Throne. Ned says he saw Jaime on the throne with his sword across his lap still dripping with the dead kings blood. So my guess is that Ned arrived towards the end of the Lannister/Targaryen battle, probably while there was still a small bit of resistance by the last Targaryen supporters in KL.

In the same chapter Robert confesses to lusting after the obliteration of the last Targaryens. Have no doubt that he would have murdered them if he had the chance. He also condones the behavior of the Knight who killed Elia's child. This is why he and Ned split but eventually reconcilled after Lyanna's death.
Aaron
User ID: 0317884
Jun 26th 12:53 PM
Err, In my rambling previous, I didn't really address your first question. - But I think Tywin wasted no time in destroying Aerys. He waited to long as it was, he didn't have weeks to goof around inside KL. As soon as he heard that Ned was riding for KL (obviously to sack it) Tywin took the initiative so he could get in good with Robert.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jun 26th 1:53 PM
If Tywin had tried to take the throne, the realm likely would have been torn apart.

I cannot think any but the Tyrells would have even considered bending the knee (given that they did so in aCoK), and even that is extremely doubtful, IMHO.