This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / ACoK-splitted?

Hodor
User ID: 0819174
Aug 23rd 4:09 PM
is ACoK splitted to two books?because in the israeli edition it is,so that instead of one large book that costs a lot,you get two smaller books that cost less.....but if you add their prices they cost more....just kidding,i guess they both cost less than one big book.
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Aug 23rd 10:04 PM
Most editions are one book(I think) at least mine is.
Is ASOS two books as well? Its as long as ACOK I think
Ran
User ID: 0743024
Aug 24th 4:40 AM
All the books in the English editions are published in a single volume. The American editors wanted to split SoS (which is the largest of the books by far) into two volumes, but GRRM managed to convince them otherwise. However, the American paperback of SoS will -- as far as I know -- be split in two.

It's a common thing for translations of books to be split up. Sweden had GoT split in two (though we got to look at a cool new Youll cover), and I believe CoK in Germany was split into three(?) books.

Why companies do this, I'm not certain, beyond the fact that the needs of translation mean that they need even more pages to put the book on. And of course, greed is always an important one . . .
Hodor
Aug 24th 8:59 AM
but at least they splitted the book well.the first book ends with Renly's death.i thought it was a much more powerful ending than the real ending,with Bran.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Aug 26th 1:53 PM
Hodor - I think that it costs more in two books. Publishers are greedy SOBs. By the Way, the Hebrew translation sucks. You really ought to read it in the original.

like, for example, when Tyrion thinks in the battle "I'm half a man and drunk of battle, let them kill me if they can"
It is translated as "... let them try to kill if they can" and it sounds worse than hebrew... I mean, how hard is it to TRY TO KILL someone?
Hodor
Aug 26th 2:01 PM
i actually think it's translated pretty good.for example,"Ov" is better than "Ghost",and "seyron" better than "Shaggy Dog"
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Aug 26th 11:19 PM
What does ov mean? What does Seyron mean?
Hodor
Aug 27th 4:08 AM
Seyron is like hairy,but it's also sounds childish so it fitts Rickon dire wolf.
Omer,if you look for bad translation,i think there's one more serious than your example:
the scene where Jaime talks to Cat he says:
"it hink it's weird that i am loved for a grace i've never did...",whereas it was translated to hebrew as if it was like this:"...that there are some who love me for a grace i've never did..."
so the all meaning was ruined(if it's really supposed to be Tyrion he's talking about and not a bunch of people)
Omer
Aug 27th 2:12 PM
Right! that's true! I forgot that bit.
Hmmm... OV means... well, hard to translate, really. Certainly not ghost though. It's like what is coming out of boiling water... but not quite as nerdy as that. I wish I had a Hebrew/English dictionary here. Actually, Ov is pretty laime, though I have to admit Ghost in Hebrew woudl sound worse.
But I hate how every whore becomes Jam in Hebrew :-)
Hodor
Aug 28th 7:36 AM
not every whore is riba,some are zona.
Omer
Aug 29th 12:20 PM
this must be a VERY strange sentence for non Hebrew speakers, and than to some
Hodor
Aug 29th 12:49 PM
yes.
Omer,did you read ASoS?
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Aug 29th 12:56 PM
Hell no, that sentence is not strange at all!

Some whores are riba, some are zona.

I mean; _what_ could be plainer? Totally logical, says I. ;o)
Omer
Aug 31st 2:52 PM
Hodor, yeah, i did.
Zona is the hebrew word for whore. 'Riba' might mean it or not(I don't know... it's never used ... like even as a curse or anything), but it also means Jam... so it's kinde' funny, and often annoying.

hodor
Sep 1st 6:01 AM
Omer,where did you get it?
Omer
Sep 1st 1:07 PM
Hodor - I live in Belgium, so it wasn't a great problem. But you should be able to get it through Amazon.UK
Min
User ID: 0394114
Sep 1st 2:30 PM
They split it in Germany, too. I hate the German editors for it. *sigh* Oh well, I read it in English anyway. :-)
Omer
Sep 2nd 5:12 AM
Min, I got the first half of the first book in German, Der Herren von Winterfell it is called, I believe, and I'm gonna read it to brush my German a little - shouldn't be hard since I know the book by heart :-)