This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Song of Ice and Fire / The Whents

Next 20 Messages
Rania
User ID: 0631424
Sep 2nd 0:31 AM
Does anyone know how the Whents came to die out?
Did all the sons of the last Lord of Harrenhal die during the Robert's Rebellion?
Also, is old Lady Whent, the aunt of the Fair Maid from the tournament or her sister?
Ran
User ID: 0743024
Sep 2nd 5:49 AM
It seems they all died during Robert's Rebellion, and Ser Oswell and perhaps Lord Whent with them.

We don't know about anything else.
Hodor
User ID: 0819174
Sep 2nd 12:34 PM
You are wrong,Ran.When Ser Jurah Mormont told Dany the story about he met his wife he said it was during the tournament at Lannisport that was made to celebrate Robert's victory against Balon Greyjoy.Among the knights he defeated,Jurah mentions Lord Whent.
Ran
Sep 2nd 12:58 PM
Like I said, perhaps Lord Whent. :)

Forgot that one.
Anon
User ID: 3556894
Sep 2nd 1:43 PM
Was Shella Whent the original Queen at the Harrenhal tourney?
Ran
Sep 2nd 2:06 PM
Don't think so. Got the impression that she's too old for that.
Rania
User ID: 0631424
Sep 2nd 2:08 PM
That is what I was trying to find out, I dont think so because she is referred to as "OLD" Lady Whent, the original Queen at the Harrenhal tourney would have been in her early teens as the most (the Maid of Ashford was 13 or 14?).... I dont think that 30 or 31 is old not even by Westeros standards.
She might be a sister of Lord Whent or maybe even his wife.
Hodor
User ID: 0819174
Sep 3rd 4:48 AM
Anyway,she left Harrenhal before Tywin came,so where is she now?at Riverrun?
Rania
User ID: 9391453
Sep 3rd 10:50 PM
No idea.
Ran, do you know?
Ran
Sep 4th 4:29 AM
Nope. One presume she's in the Riverlands somewhere, maybe be putting up by some distant kinsmen.
Rania
Sep 6th 9:00 PM
I just heard from GRRM on the subject of Shella Whent.
He says that Shella Whent is the mother of the Fair Maid of Harrenhal and the sister-in-law of Ser Oswell Whent.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Sep 6th 9:10 PM
I only hope that the Fair Maid isn't Wynafrei Whent, the wife of Ser Danwell Frey! So, Shella Whent inherited Harrenhal from her husband or what? Oh was she intitially a Whent cousin, too? I mean, otherwise it is a bit strange that it aren't Ser Danwell and his wife who are holding Harrenhal...
Rania
Sep 7th 1:45 AM
I dont think that Wynafrei Whent is the Fair Maid I can't imagine the Freys not making their claim to Harrrenhal through her.
Ran
Sep 7th 4:15 AM
Wynafrei Whent could be of a secondary branch quite removed from the Harrenhal Whents, and then her inherting the lands would be that much more unlikely, given Shella Whent's sad life. I suppose old Lord Walder might have tried to put a claim to it, but Lord Hoster and King Robert might well have over-ruled him in favor of letting Shella live out her days as Lady of Harrenhal.

Rania
User ID: 2616364
Sep 7th 11:01 AM
But if Minisa Whent, Lord Hoster's wife and the mother of Catelyn, Lysa and Edmure is the sister of the Lord of Harrenhal wouldn't her children and their children have the best claim to Harrenhal?
Ran
Sep 7th 11:11 AM
Not really, if Lady Shella isn't herself a Whent-proper. If Minisa was Lord Whent's sister, on the other hand, they would have had a great claim.
Rania
Sep 7th 11:20 AM
We dont know who Minisa Whent was.
Ran, would you ask GRRM? I think I have bothered him enough and I am going to leave him alone for the next couple of weeks.
Btw, have you seen the cover of the French AGOT?
Ran
Sep 7th 11:22 AM
I've got a couple of mails in the queue myself, so it'd be awhile before I could get around to asking. :)

Saw the covers quite recently. Interesting.
Rania
Sep 7th 11:28 AM
Do you think that the guy in the helmet is supposed to be Ned?
Ran
Sep 7th 11:36 AM
Yeah. Heh. Can't explain it any other way really, unless they had grabbed some random art that happened to have a wolf figuring in there somewhere. Not unusual, actually, for European fantasy. They tend to switch covers around willy-nilly.
Next 20 Messages