I CRIED FOR A LITTLE BOY
WHO ONCE LIVED THERE
State Juvenile Records Section Three
[Note by the author:  Due to the disc space required (some 29 Meg) the actual scanned copies of the records could not be used in these pages, but the data herein has been kept as accurate as possible.]

RAINBOW

VI.   References and others interviewed (Give name and position of each with a summary of his/her statements regarding the family)

VII. Visitor's general summary and recommendations.  (Was the home what  you expected from
reading the  application?  Mention any discrepancies discovered.)  Do you recommend that these
people be given  a child?

Signed Mrs. Fred B. Wolf
Date    12- 7- 42

Received   12 - 9 - '42

BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS OF IOWA
Children's Division

ARTICLES OF AGREEMENT RELATIVE TO FOSTER CHILD

Made and entered into this   10 day of February  1934 A. D. between  Mrs. H. O. Hyatt   Superintendent of the  Iowas Soldiers' Orphans' Home and Mr.and Mrs. Ross H. Potter
City  Sioux City             County  Woodbury

Subject to the approval of:
THE BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS OF IOWA

Whereas:   Larry Eugene Peterson Born   May 13, 1934   has this day been placed in our home, we do hereby agree to receive him on trial.  During such time as  he  shall remain in our custody, we agree that he  shall be provided with custody, care and maintenance; (as provided in Section 2726, 1935 Code of Iowa) shall attend Church and Sabbath School as regularly as possible; shall be given necessary attention in case of sickness; shall eat at the table with the family; and in every way shall be given the same social advantages that a child of our own would receive; shall be given an all public school training, including High School, if will and capable of such
education.
  It is further agreed that during such time as said child remains in our care, unless we adopt him  we will recognize the Board of Control as the legal guardian until  he reaches his majority or has been otherwise released from State supervision.
  It is further agreed that a child no longer in school, if placed in our care, will receive all of the above advantages with the exception of school and clothing and instead will receive the following wage:

School Contract                                       $            per week,
        adoption                                         $            per month.,

to be used for his   clothing and spending money; and we further agree to see that the required monthly
report is sent to the institution at the end of each month; and we also agree to furnish the authorized repre- sentative of the Board of Control any reasonable information required when requested.
   It is further agreed that the Board of Control or any authorized representative of the Board of Control shall
have access at all times to the child and the home and the party of the second part agrees to relinquish all custody and right to said child whenever, in the opinion of the Board of Control, such relinquishment is essential to the best interest of the child.  It is further agreed the party of the second part reserves the right to return the child to the party of the first part at any time within sixty days from the date of this agreement, for due and just cause.
   We further agree that we will not transfer the child to another person or remove him from the State without the written consent of the Board of Control or their authorized agent; and we further agree to immediately notify the Board of Control of any changes of address.

All correspondence of the ward must be sent to   Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home and received
from   I. S. O. Home Institution

Mrs. H. O, Hyatt
Superintendent
Ross H Potter
Ross H Potter
BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS
Approved this day of  FEB 16 1943     By  R. T. Pullen

State of Iowa

Board of Control of State Institutions

RELEASE FOR PLACEMENT OF CHILD

Feb. 10, 1943 19
Board of Control of State Institutions,
State House,
Des Moines, Iowa

Gentlemen:

On  Oct. 7, 1942   19           Mr. and Mrs. Ross H. Potter
                                                                                                 Name
of      Sioux City                            ,  made application for a  boy  of about 6 to 8 years of age.

On  Dec. 9, 1942  19     ,  this home was investigated and approved.

I recommend for this home      Larry Peterson                 Born 5-13-34

File No. 8465 ;  Sex  M ;  Color;  Religion  Prot.                ;  Age  8 yrs.

Parentage   Mother-Mrs. Sylvia Leifheit-Rock Island, Ill.            

Father  -deceased.                                                    

I believe that the applicants have a good home and have the character and ability to assume the
responsibility of foster parents.  I recommend that this release be approved.

Approved         February 10, 1943
Mrs. H. O, Hyatt
Superintendent

FEB 16 1943  19

BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS.
BY        R. T. Pullen

[NOTE by the author; This was the adoption release  made out the first day I met my adoption parents.  In a previous document it had been  recommended they be sent an eleven year old boy.  They had requested an 8 to 11 year old boy not a 6 to 8 year old boy as this document states.  This document completely ignores that fact.  On this date I was eight years old.]

RAINBOW

State Juvenile Records - Section Four