I CRIED FOR A LITTLE BOY
WHO ONCE LIVED THERE
State Juvenile Records Section Five
[Note by the author:  Due to the disc space required (some 29 Meg) the actual scanned copies of the records could not be used in these pages, but the data herein has been kept as accurate as possible.]

RAINBOW

State of Iowa: Board of control of State Institutions

Ida Grove, Iowa
        October 25, 1943

[ NOTE by the author, Larry Eugene:   This letter had been written on the 25th of October,  a little over a month after my foster mother's death, eighteen days after the last letter Mrs. Todd wrote to Mrs. Nichols.  It tells that on the previous day, October 24th, Mrs. Todd had seen my foster father.  This is the first record of Mrs. Todd seeing my foster father since my foster mother died.  The 24th of October of '43 was on a Sunday so I would most likely would have been home at the time of the visit, though there is no mention in her letter of seeing me and I certainly don't remember her visit.  During these few weeks, all of these letters are flying back and forth, I don't believe I am missing any of them in my file for each letter seems to flow into the next one.  But I do want to point out the frequency of the letters, not very often.  It is like everyone, including my dad was waiting for time to solve all of the problems.  The State was only waiting for a time so they could convince themselves they did all they could and it was my dad's fault he lost me.  Did they really do all they could?  Sort of interesting don't you think? ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours sincerely,

Georgia E. Todd Agent

Mrs. Ben Todd.

[ NOTE by the author:  This letter was written ten days after the previous letter was written to Mrs. Nichols, eleven days after seeing my foster dad,  so apparently I have been on Mrs. Todd's mind over the course of the last week.  I find this quick response is quite rare in this matter as to whether or not I will be staying with my dad.  From what I read here, her last letter she wrote to Mrs. Nichols had given her some ideas for I see those ideas flowing into this letter. She was thinking but hadn't quite figured out how to tell my dad I would have to go back to the orphanage.  Wouldn't it be such a great deal for HIM, and how great of a deal it would be for ME if he gave me up?  Like I said previously, I think a lot of un-professionalism was displayed in this whole matter.  ]

Leeds, Iowa
    50th & Rustin
    Nov. 22, 1943

Dear Mrs. Todd:
   There has been not much further care in the home at the present time.
   But if you will let me keep the boy I will have a woman by the
first of the year.
   I have been having a neighbor girl to do up the work every day or
at least most everyday.
   I will say that the boy is fine. I will go into any house or restaurants in the country and cook.  The boy is better in school
this year than he was last.  If it does not come out all right I will give the boy up for I no [know] their [there] should be a mother in
the [home] for both of us.

your truly [truely]
                    R. H. Potter

P.S. We was snow [snowed] in hear [here] for a weeks is why I did not write sooner.

[Note by the author:    This is only one of four letters I believe he wrote the entire time I as living there, three of them after the death of my foster mother.  One he had written as a list of clothing items I had after shortly going to the farm, which I haven't copied into this book but I have retyped the list he sent to Mrs. Todd which appeared in a letter she wrote.  There had been the letter to the orphanage telling of the death of my foster mother, that had been the second letter. The last and forth letter will be the last letter he wrote only days before he had to let me go.  There may have been some telephone calls between Mrs. Todd and my foster father but I doubt it for he was seldom home.  This all tells me, my dad was not communicating enough and this was hurting him.  He should have been more aggressive for the State was only looking for a reason to take me from him and by his inaction he was giving them all the reasons they needed.] 

State of Iowa: Board of Control of State Institutions

Ida Grove, Iowa
        Nov. 24, 1943

Mrs. Ethel Nichols, Supt.
Children's Division
Des Moines, Iowa                  Re: Larry Peterson  # 8465

Dear Mrs. Nichols:

Enclosed is a letter from Mr. Ross Potter in whose home
Larry Peterson is placed. He is still having trouble in
finding a housekeeper.  It would be difficult enough if he
had a nice farm home, but with goats, ducks, and junk thrown
everywhere, one look at the place might dissuade anyone.

Yours sincerely,

Georgia E. Todd Agent
      Mrs. Ben Todd.

[ NOTE by the author:  Most of the time when I read the letters and such in my files I get sort of depressed for I see things there that are not too obvious to others but this letter, every time I read it I almost laugh.  "Goats, ducks."  It was a farm lady, where else would there be a better place to raise "goats and ducks?"   In these letters you will note they seem to dwell on the how trashy the farm was.  How poor it was.  They knew all that when they investigated the home on October 10, 1942 prior to my placement there, they had approved of the conditions then, why make note of it now?  I loved my foster parents, what young boy wouldn't in the siltation I was in.  I was eight years old, I needed a mom and a dad, no matter how poor or trashy their farm was.  It was in the State's hands to see I be sent to those that would give me the right things in life.  To a place where I had a chance.  As much as I hate to say it for I loved my foster parents, I had no chance of making it there, that was obvious even before I was sent there.  I can see that in my records, why couldn't they?
       From the dating of this letter, a little over two months had passed by, since the death of my foster mother, the decision had not been made yet as to taking me from my dad.  It is like, everyone was waiting on someone else to make that decision.  From what I have seen, everyone was aware of the fact I would be returned to the orphanage but no one wanted to be the first to come out with it.  I know it was difficult for everyone and I don't know what I would have done.  Though I should never have been placed with my foster parents in the first place but I was and based on hindsight, it had been a very sorry thing to have taken me from my dad and sent me back to the orphanage.  As you read on though this book I think you will fully understand my reasoning and feelings on that.  ]

RAINBOW

State Juvenile Records Index

State Juvenile Records - Section Six