Hi! If you have Matt news, write to me at [email protected].)

Welcome to the Matt Damon Column,
a forum for sharing news among Matt fans.

Updated 12/31/2000

2001 - may it be a very good year for our Matty!

Click here to see more pictures and to read the best of the reviews.
If you haven't yet, visit Miramax's ATPH site now to see some wonderful wide-screen photos and clips from the film, among other goodies (such as excerpts from the soundtrack).

Daniel Holmes' ATPH site has the Oscar Ads and a photo gallery.
the yahoo.com site for Pretty Horses
All the Pretty Horses computer wallpaper, the Charlotte Observer.

... we have a perfectly coherent, handsomely rendered couple of hours, animated in particular by Damon's good performance � shrewd, innocent, angry, wistful and, above all, likable. Maybe this movie might have been more. But it could easily have been a lot less.
- Time Magazine critics on "All the Pretty Horses".

"It�s the kind of thing where there probably won�t be a middle-ground reaction. I just have a really visceral experience with it, and I imagine that other people will, too � and that other people won�t. You either get it or you won�t, and it�s fine either way, but thanks for giving it a shot."
- Matt Damon, on ATPH.

"That Matt Damon is going places", Gregory Peck, 1998. . .

12/31/00 - part 2 12/31/00 12/30/00 12/29/00 12/28/00 12/27/00 - Part 2 12/27/00 12/26/00 - Part 2 12/26/00
12/25/00 - Part 4
12/25/00 - Part 3
12/25/00 - part 2
A fine Christmas day where I live - have a good one, y'all! (I am getting into the Texas-drawl mode, in anticipation of seeing ATPH later in the day.:-) So I wonder: did all the critics see the same film or what?
  • From our Felicity: 12/25/00
  • A four-star review by Robert W. Butler, movie editor for The Kansas Star:
  • The NY Times review of ATPH is finally up, and, as I expected, not the most complimentary. But it does has this original thing to say about Matt's performance:
    "John Grady's chivalric goodness smothers the streak of bad-boy spontaneity that is his most appealing trait."
    I must say I do miss Matt as Will Hunting, the bad boy with innate goodness. We haven't seen him for a while and I miss him something terrible. As dashing as Matt was in Bagger Vance, it just never struck a chord like GWH. And now it looks like the same will be the case with ATPH.
  • Excerpt from a review in the Boston Herald , one of the papers in Matt's hometown, by James Verniere:
  • Another positive review: 12/24/00 - part 2 12/24/00 - midday
  • The LA Times finally ran an advertisement for ATPH. It is not the same as the poster that Felicity found, but one with a facial shot (not the most flattering) of Matt - the same one that appeared in the first Oscar promotion ad that appeared in the Variety - stacked on top of one of Penelope (she fares better), below which is a wide shot of Matt, on horse, running along side a pickp truck. The title of the film then appeared near the bottom. It is very tastefully done. Many of the quotes we have not seen: one from Susan Stark of Detroit News - I looked just now and it's not online yet, another one is from NBC-TV's Sara Edwards, and yet another one from Westwood One radio. There is also one from Jack Garner of the Garnett News Service, which I can't find.
    I have to take back my assessment about this being a guy flick - upon more examination it seems that many of the more supportive reviews are from woman writers!
    Also, in my area, there is only one theater showing the film tomorrow, and in the ad it only mentions Monday through Thursday - sounds like a very limited and very short run :-(
    Still, I count my blessings - I am glad to have a chance to see it during the holidays.
    Also, the Miramax site is fantastic. I know Felicity mentioned it, but I only got around to viewing it yesterday. The "trouble" cut is right there, along with a few others. Extremely well done.
  • Felicity's Christmas-eve find:
    this article appeared in the Houston Chronicle -- First one that features Henry Thomas:
    A range of emotions
    Filmed-in-Texas 'Horses' features Western love story
    By BRUCE WESTBROOK
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle
    FOR years, Henry Thomas labored to shed his innocent child image from 1982's wildly successful E.T. -- The Extra-Terrestrial and become a bona fide grown-up film actor.
    But he never grew out of one thing: being a Texan.
    Now his Lone Star background is serving him well in a major starring role, alongside Matt Damon in director Billy Bob Thornton's All the Pretty Horses, opening Monday.
    Based on Cormac McCarthy's 1992 acclaimed novel, the $45 million movie concerns two young Texans (Damon and Thomas) who ride to Mexico in 1949 to live the fast-disappearing life of a cowboy.
    "I felt pretty close to the story because I felt I knew those characters," Thomas said.
    "They were very realistic depictions of people from Texas, which is something you don't often see in films. I get tired of the Southern caricatures and the poor examples of Texans. But I felt these characters captured Texans."
    Thomas, who's from San Antonio, didn't have to hone too much of an accent. And he says Damon "did a pretty damn good job just on his own," picking up the speech.
    "Of course, the story is written so well, it's so indicative of the region, that it kind of comes to life when you say it. The accent is in the dialogue."
    Rugged yet scenic landscapes also supply much of the film's feeling. Aiming for the epic sweep of Westerns by director John Ford, Thornton shot for four months in New Mexico and near San Antonio.
    By coincidence, Thomas has an apartment on the farm his parents own near San Antonio, though he spends more time on the road or in Los Angeles these days.
    But the Pretty Horses shoot was in the Hill Country, on the opposite side of the city, so he stayed with the film company to save commute time.
    "It was a strange coincidence and a luxury to be at home, even though I was working," Thomas, 29, said.
    "The last couple of years, I haven't really been staying anywhere but the locations where I've worked. I've been kind of living out of a suitcase."
    The same goes for another Pretty Horses co-star, Spanish actress Pen�lope Cruz. She's been darting to distant locations for years -- including her first trip to Texas for Pretty Horses.
    "I don't feel like I have a home now," said Cruz, 26, who's a major star in Spain and is now heading that way in America. "My home is Madrid -- or wherever I have to be for shooting. It's the life I've had for many years, but I like it very much."
    While in Texas for Pretty Horses, Cruz lived in San Antonio's River Walk area, finding it "a very fun place on the weekends." By contrast, the ranch nearby where they filmed "was huge and very peaceful."
    In the film, Cruz plays the daughter of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner (Ruben Blades) who falls in love with Damon's character, with tragic results.
    "This film breaks my heart every time I see it," said Cruz, who became close to Damon during filming. "It was a very intense period of my life. Something special was happening.
    "I think Billy's the only person who could do this movie -- the way the story has pain and love and loss and hope. He captured the book, which is so powerful and emotional."
    Thornton, in fact, fought for Cruz to get the role of Alejandra, instead of it going to an American actress. And part of the film's dialogue is in Spanish with English subtitles.
    "I work on my English every day, but I don't think I can lose my accent completely," Cruz said. "Even so, there are many nationalities I can play and many different ways I can use my accent.
    "Hollywood seems open to me. I think there's space for everyone."
    All three Pretty Horses stars had ridden horses previously. But for the film's demands, they had to learn much more about handling the animals.
    "I had to lose the fear, which they can sense," Cruz said. "But the horses were very noble. They never betrayed us."
    Thomas said he grew up riding, "but wasn't technically advanced. So I worked with some of the best cowboys for a month before the shoot, learning how to put a horse through its paces."
    He said the horses used in movies "are like Formula One racing cars, not the old plugs I grew up with. You send them mixed signals and people can get hurt. You have to have a calm animal to keep everyone safe."
    Riding together daily for about a month before the shoot enabled Thomas and Damon to get to know each other.
    "We did a lot of things together," Thomas said. "We got along quite well. It was an easy relationship to assume because we had a blueprint drawn for us by the book and just kind of inhabited those characters."
    Both actors were champions of the novel, which was adapted for the screen by Ted Tally (The Silence of the Lambs). In fact, Thomas had followed its development as a film project for years.
    That's why he was relieved when Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of John Grady Cole, which then went to Damon.
    "I'd have been too old to play Leo's best buddy," said Thomas, who's three years older. "But ironically, now I'm playing his friend in The Gangs of New York."
    Due next year, that's Martin Scorsese's epic about the rise of Italian immigrant gangs in the 1800s. Thomas has been in Rome working on the film for the past four months.
    "I play an immigrant who's a street thug and a small-time criminal, and I introduce Leo's character to the underworld," he said.
    In short, he's following Pretty Horses -- his biggest film since 1994's Legends of the Fall -- with an even bigger movie.
    Thomas attended school and made few films in his teens, and as a young adult in '92 he was experiencing "the lean years," such as a low-budget Houston shoot for the cable movie A Taste for Killing.
    It was around that time that he read All the Pretty Horses.
    "This is a dream project for me," said Thomas, who praised Thornton's "relaxed, loose set."
    He's hoping for plenty of extra features on the film's eventual DVD, especially since the first cut ran four hours. (At the studio's behest, Thornton trimmed it to just more than two hours.)
    "It's a powerful film, and I'm really proud of it," Thomas said. "I love my character, Lacey Rawlins. In fact, I think it's the best thing I've ever done.
    "Matt and I were both saying this is the ultimate work. We could quit now and be happy."
    Thomas was most drawn to the story's elements of "loyalty, honor and living with the choices we make.
    "Also, if you spend any time in Texas or have a soft place in your heart for it, those characters jump off the page and embody the things you know and love.
    "You can feel the disappearance of the West today, of the old ways of life. But it's still there -- there's a certain longing for it -- and I think there always will be." 12/23/00 - Part 3 12/23/00 - Part 2 12/23/00 - Part 1 12/22/00
    This is a no-frills web site dedicated to a weekly (or so) column on Matt Damon , the actor.
    The columns are written by a fan of the actor and are stricly for the reading pleasure of others who admire Matt. Each column will address a specific topic, along with tidbits and news on Matt.
    Readers' emails are welcome. Write to me at [email protected].
    Guest columns are invited. If you have a column that you want to be considered to be published here, write me.

Click on a column

I hope you enjoy this site. Sorry if you looked for Matt photos in vain. If you like photos, see the Unofficial Matt Damon site or this site.
    Some good sources of Matt Info
    The greenlight project link: The site created by Matt and Ben for online screenplay submission.
    E-mail:[email protected]
    URL:http://mattdamon.cjb.net
    You are visitor to this page since 8/13/99