Hi! If you have Matt news, write to me at [email protected].)

Welcome to the Matt Damon Column,
a forum for sharing news among Matt fans.

Updated 4/28/2001

A couple of stills photo from two of the best loved scenes in GWH.

"That Matt Damon is going places", Gregory Peck, 1998. . .

4/29/01
PHOTO

Photo from 'Poker Digest' magazine, via Felicity.
From Felicity: 4/28/01 4/26/01 4/24/01 4/23/01 4/22/01 4/21/01
4/20/01 4/19/01 4/18/01
PHOTO
A back view of Matt on the O11 set.
Thank you, Silvy, for sharing the photo on left. Wrote Silvy: "It's on the back, but better then nothing :-) Found it at Starring Julia Roberts!"
Great finds, from Felicity:
Here's a really interesting article in which Ted Tally (adapter of Pretty Horses) talks a lot about Matt, the backlash over Pretty Horses, and the response by those involved to its disappointing box office and critical returns. The article is at: http://www.wgaeast.org/newsletter_and_publications/ted-tally-transcript.html.
Best quotes:
What did you think of Matt Damon in the film?
"I'm impressed with his performance. I read a review where they said, 'Matt Damon gives a perfunctory performance.' And I thought, that critic and I might as well be from separate planets. We don't have any language in common. I don't know how to make a movie that would please that person. That person doesn't understand my world. It's weird to me. To me, he gives the best performance of his career, one of the best performances by a young male actor I've seen in many years. I think he's, as one critic said, he's the shining heart of this movie. He has to carry a tremendously hard burden, he's in almost every frame, and he has to ride and rope and be a convincing cowboy, do the accent, speak Spanish and do physically difficult stunts, some of them, and be good at the love scenes and just carry the entire movie on his back. And he's playing a very sort of laconic, understated character, he has to say four things with his eyes and his face for every line that he speaks, because it's not a character who would reveal things openly and nakedly. It's a reflective character, but not a verbose one. It's very, very tough and I think he's magnificent. He's a pleasure to work with, too, he's just so smart and so down to earth, he has no star ego whatsoever that I could ever detect. He makes everybody around him look better and I was just kind of in awe of his work. And then to have the critics say, 'Well, he's not very good,' I think, well, why have they got it in for him? Is he too successful and cute and have too much money? They hated 'Bagger Vance' and they're still hitting him for that? What is it? I don't understand... It was the kind of snarky, bitchy critical response that you often see in the theater, where it's this tiny little in-bred group of critics who are all looking over their shoulders at each other's work, It was as if they all got together in some room and compared notes and said, 'Okay, here's gonna be the story of our take on this movie. Now everybody toe the line.'"
An interesting situation on the set -- you, Damon and Thornton -- three people who've all won screenwriting Oscars...
"That didn't stop any critic in the world from knowing more about storytelling here than we do. I thought, well, okay, you've got Cormac McCarthy. This brilliant, award-winning novelist; you've got three Oscar-winning writers involved in the making of this movie. Were we all so stupid, do we all not know anything about good storytelling and good editing and... you know, what is that? We didn't think so. We still don't think so, and to their credit, people like Matt and Henry Thomas, it's like, well, you know, nothing can change their opinion. Matt says this is the best movie I've ever made. Now, he's worked with Spielberg and Coppola and Redford and Gus van Zant -- you know, he's made some very good movies.
He's very unabashed, very unshy about saying this is my best film. And, you know, it changed my life, I only hope I ever get a chance to do something this worthwhile again. So, you know, it's a weird, schizophrenic thing for all of us.
"We knew that we were facing an uphill battle commercially. That was always clear. No one at Columbia or Miramax was stupid enough to think that, you know, that this literary adaptation of a Western, a period Western, with no car chases or explosions, was going to be 'The Grinch who Stole Christmas' at the box office. No one ever thought that. But we thought we would be taken seriously and respectfully. As in fact we have been by a lot of critics, but, you know, with this type of movie you sort of need critics, you need award nominations and things like that to lead an audience into it. It's like 'The English Patient.' Or even 'Shakespeare in Love,' which struggled at the box office until it got its Oscars."
Here's another nice quote about another film: Minghella and Sydney Pollack on Matt in Ripley
Of Damon, Minghella said, ``He is remarkable in that he is young (29) and yet he refused any opportunity to be flamboyant with the role. He's in every single scene of the film. There usually is a temptation for young actors to want to show what they can do. He was disciplined. He underplayed it at every turn, which is the way it should be played.'' As executive producer, Sydney Pollack was the one with his eye on the budget. He admits that the studio was reluctant about the sexuality of the film ``but no one thinks that people will go running away from the theater telling other people that it's immoral. From the first, I was intrigued by a book that left me sympathizing with a killer. I couldn't figure out how Highsmith had me hope that this killer wouldn't be caught. I think that Matt Damon's job was superlative. Can you imagine what this film would have been like if Sean Penn had played Ripley? He would be a psychotic killer.'
The Ted Tally quotes are lovely, but sad.

And a Big Matt Fan responded thus:
Thanks for the amazing quotes, Felicity. You can tell that Ted Tally absolutely loves Matt, both as an actor and a person. Many people have gushed about Matt, but Tally's defense is unusually striking in its vigor. Like Matt, Penelope, and Billy Bob, he, too, claims that ATPH changed his life. One can't help but wonder what occurred on that set that made the experience so profound. 4/17/01

4/15/01
Easter greetings from Felicity:
4/13/01 4/12/01 4/11/01 4/9/01 The unbelievable Felicity sent this note on: 4/8/01
In spite of being busy with work, Felicity took time to sent these in: 4/5/01
4/5/01
  • Kelly (mattdamonfanpage.com) wrote:
    4/4/01
    4/3/01
    My mailbox was bulging at the seams - thanks to everyone! 4/2/01 3/29/01
    This is a no-frills web site dedicated to a weekly (or so) column on Matt Damon , the actor.
    The columns are written by a fan of the actor and are stricly for the reading pleasure of others who admire Matt. Each column will address a specific topic, along with tidbits and news on Matt.
    Readers' emails are welcome. Write to me at [email protected].
    Guest columns are invited. If you have a column that you want to be considered to be published here, write me.

Click on a column

I hope you enjoy this site. Sorry if you looked for Matt photos in vain. If you like photos, see Elise's site, which has an excellent photo gallery.
    Some good sources of Matt Info
    The greenlight project link: The site created by Matt and Ben for online screenplay submission.
    E-mail:[email protected]
    URL:http://mattdamon.cjb.net
    You are visitor to this page since 8/13/99