August 1999 Archive

8/31/99 8/30/99 8/26/99 8/25/99 Items from the past few days: 8/18/99 8/17/99 Matt to play a - gulp - golfer? (Has he even ever been on the links? One wonders.) Read on.
A batch of juicy tidbits from Felicity: 8/14/99 8/13/99 More tidbits: 8/12/99 There is now an official "Ripley" site; check it out.

Miscellaneous items:

8/12/99 Things are quiet again, disappointingly so.
Here are some news collected by Felicity: 8/9/99 From the NY Post:
Movie moolah will put Linda well in 'Black'
SULTRY Linda Fiorentino could be in for the biggest boost to her career since she burst onto the screen as the star of the sexy and quirky "The Last Seduction."
Fiorentino, of course, went on to play the glamorpuss opposite Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones in "Men In Black," a movie that grossed more than $500 million worldwide and remains one of the most profitable films ever made.
Now I hear Columbia is gearing up to make the "MIB" sequel and is naturally keen to get the three principals back in harness. But sources say Smith and Jones are not likely to reprise their roles, so Fiorentino is all that's left of the franchise.
She may get teamed up with Chris O'Donnell, who, in the original concept, was going to play opposite Tommy Lee in a traditional buddy flick. (I understand that Steven Spielberg, whose DreamWorks was co-producer with Columbia on the blockbuster, insisted on going with Will Smith instead.) Matt Damon is being mentioned as the other male star in the new version.
(My note: Not likely. Matt and Chris O'Donnell are not the best of friends. Matt has made some uncomplimentary remarks about Mr. O'Donnell in some interviews that came out at the time of GWH's release.)

From the NY Daily News Online:
Stars in Waiting
Claire Danes and Ben Lee may be keeping their profiles a little too low.
The star couple showed up Thursday night at China Club, where private eye/actor Bill Stanton hosted a party for producer Nick Wechsler.
"You have to wait here _ this is a private party," a bouncer told the two, who waited patiently until someone else in line enlightened the sentry.
Once inside, they joined the Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde, directors John Herzfeld and Terry George, rocker Robbie Robertson, artist Peter Max, P.I. Jack Maple and actors John Di Resta, Darius McCray, Kim Ferron and Oleg Takarov.
Danes and Lee later headed downtown with Robertson to Moomba, where they just missed Jerry Seinfeld. The funnyman, currently estranged from girlfriend Jessica Sklar, dined with "Inspector Gadget" director David Kellogg, who helmed Seinfeld's American Express commercials.
Long past midnight, Boston buddies Ben Affleck and Matt Damon strolled into the club. Spies say they kept to themselves until Affleck exchanged phone numbers with bashful singer Samantha Cole.

Kevin Smith has confirmed the Dogma release date as November 12, where it's only up against 'The Bachelor' and 'Pokemon' at this stage.
From a Jeffrey Wells Mr Showbiz column on fall movies, in the 'Promising but not certain' category:
The Talented Mr Ripley (December, Paramount), with Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow; directed by Anthony Minghella. First-rate script but "you don't care," I'm hearing. OK, so it's not an "audience" film. Looks intriguing anyway.

From Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith:
THE REALLY BIG-SCREEN SCENE: Since Steven Spielberg's Tom Cruise starrer, "The Minority Report," will be about a futuristic legal system in which murderers are taken into custody before committing their crimes -- does that mean, by logical extension, that we get to judge the movie before it comes out? That's the question passed along to us by one Hollywood wag as the feature moves through preproduction toward its Oct. 11 shooting start.
Now, with word out that Matt Damon may join this union of Hollywood powerhouses, casting continues for a motley assortment of supporting roles. There's a hearing-impaired man who can read lips with the help of a computer, for instance, for which they've been seeing hearing-impaired actors. There's a small-bodied man who looks large with the aid of a high-tech body suit. There's a super-intelligent hacker who looks like someone you might stumble into in a biker bar ...

8/1/99 Lisa wrote to say that a "Ripley" trailer is shown befer the film "Runaway Bride". Said Lisa: "I think Ripley will be very good. The trailer doesn't give a release date." (Thanks!)

More on the trailer, from Felicity:
From an aint-it-cool article on upcoming trailers:

From the Entertainment Weekly message boards (subject: trailers). This was from Lesley, who's a huge Matt fan Elsewhere:
I hope you enjoy this site. Sorry if you looked for Matt photos in vain. If you like photos, see the Unofficial Matt Damon site or this site.
Some good sources of Matt Info