Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

"Kidnap For Beginners," Chapter One. Have you even asked for a ransom yet?" Celine (Cameron Diaz)

What's it about?

When cleaner Ewan McGregor finds he is given the sack because his job is taken by a robot, he decides to kidnap the boss' daughter (Cameron Diaz) as a protest. However, she turns out to be a spoilt young thing and her dad (Ian Holm) refuses to pay the ransom. On top of which, two angels (Holly Hunter and Delroy Lindo) are sent down from heaven to make them fall in love. By any means possible.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

A kidnapping gone wrong. Oh and there's a couple of angels thrown in for good measure.

What's so good about it?

From the opening shot of Cameron Diaz swimming through the opening titles, emerging from the pool and performing a William Tell stunt on her butler, you know this is going to be a great movie. The third collaboration from the team that brought us Trainspotting and Shallow Grave. Even the closing titles - a sort of Wallace and Gromit finale - are unmissable.

What does it remind me of?

Any Preston Sturges film; Albert Brooks' Defending Your Life and about a dozen Frank Capra movies. As well as a few Dennis Potter dramas such as Lipstick on Your Collar.

What's bad about it?

Very little. The soundtrack could have been a little more memorable. It's certainly not on a par with Trainspotting. The worst thing about it is the poor financial response in the States.

Who would like it most?

Students; Anyone who grew up during the Eighties; followers of McGregor, Diaz, Holm and Hunter. Trainspotting fans may feel a little short changed.

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Unlikely. ALLO made very little cash. However, it only cost $12million to make so director Danny Boyle and friends should get another stab at the big time before long.

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

"Tod: You think I'd talk to a dog? Do you think I'd ask a dog whether you are good or evil? Do you think I'm some sort of backwoods weirdo with a barn full of skulls and knives I sharpen every day in anticipation for Armageddon?

Robert: No, I'm sure you're just a regular guy.

Tod: Yeah. I am a regular guy. I am regular. But that's not the point! Who are YOU?"

Thanks very much. How about a list of credits?

Cast (in credits order) Holly Hunter: O'Reilly; Delroy Lindo: Jackson; Dan Hedaya: Gabriel; Cameron Diaz: Celine; Ewan McGregor: Robert; Ian Holm: Naville; Ian McNeice: Mayhew

roger crow 1998/2001

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.

Immolater Home

TM and � 2001 Immolater