Home

Good

The Rock (1996)

(Rating: 7)

Dir:  Michael Bay

Story:  Alcatraz is taken over by marines with hostages pointing rockets with poison gas to San Francisco, and they demand US$100 mil.

Comment:  What could have been a very average action movie from the Simpson/Bruckheimer team turns out, for me, to be one of the best in its genre. Critics have often lamented about the story's plot holes - would someone tell me what this is ?

(OK, so the goof mentioned in this link could be it, but, who, except a poison gas buff would actually know it ?)

The movie is first and foremost, a feast for the eyes. Bay gives us wonderful camera angles (though I must say the this is probably a Simpson/Bruckheimer thing - evident in Con Air, which is more spectacular; judging solely on the camera work). The explosions, the music and the one-liners are in just the right doses while the moral question looming in the background (can the ends ever justify the means) is dealt with sufficiently in a movie of the action genre.

Sure, one can fault the music for being too "in your face" and repetitive, musically. One the first count, I must concur, but then, it IS an action movie and action movies ARE supposed to be "in your face". On the second count, all I have to say is: The Godfather. Granted, The Godfather had Nina Rota, but ... you get the idea. Another quibble could be that there are only TWO active female roles in the entire film. But then, this IS a testosterone movie.

What I liked most about this movie was its pace and that it never became too ridiculous, as many action movies often degenerate to. The acting is good and the movie never pretends to be something it isn't. It does not dwell on the morality of taking hostages to expose a government cover up, nor does it insult its audience, again, as most action movies do. It simply tells a story, although rather unbelievable, very well. You'd finish the movie feeling satisfied that 2 hours have not been wasted.

Review: Watch it.

Credits - 104 KB without graphics

Goofs

Bad Boys - Bay's 1st. film

Armageddon - His 3rd. film

Home

[email protected]

Comments page

© Mokui's Movie Review