The Usual Suspects

WARNING: The following are key scenes in the movie. You may want to only listen to the first scene (although it is not representative of the movie's theme). There are NO SPOILERS, I promise; but you'll enjoy the movie better if you don't know these scenes before-hand.

Click on the pictures to listen to the dialogue

todd hockney, mcmanus, fenster, dean keaton, verbal kint - the usual suspectsVOICE (O.S.) SHUT UP IN THERE. Alright, you all know the drill. When your number is called, step forward and repeat the phrase you've been given. Understand?

The men all nod.

VOICE (O.S.) Number one. Step forward.

Hockney takes a step forward. He looks directly into a mirror on the other side of the room. It is three feet square and we can make out faint light behind it. It is a two-way. He speaks in a complete dead-pan.

HOCKNEY Hand-me-the-keys, you-fucking-cock- sucker.

VOICE (O.S.) Number two. Step forward.

McManus steps up and makes a gun with his thumb and forefinger. He mocks criminal intensity, pointing at the mirror. He camps up his line.

McMANUS Give me the keys, you motherfucking, cocksucking pile of shit, or I'll rip off your

VOICE (O.S.) KNOCK IT OFF. Get back in line.

McManus steps back.

The rest of the men do their bit as Verbal speaks.

VERBAL (V.O.) It was bullshit. The whole rap was a setup. Everything is the cops' fault. You don't put guys like that in a room together. Who knows what can happen?

kobayashi employee of keyser sozeKOBAYASHI Mr. Keaton?

Keaton stands back and lets him in. Kobayashi looks them over.

KOBAYASHI (CONT'D) I am Mr. Kobayashi. I've been asked by my employer to bring a proposal to you gentlemen. That must be Mr. Hockney. I recognize Mr. Fenster from his mug shot, as well as Mr. McManus. (To Verbal) I can only assume that you are Mr. Kint. I believe you were the one who disposed of Saul. My employer sends his gratitude. A most unexpected benefit.

Everyone looks at one another in shock that he would know this.

KEATON What can we do for you?

KOBAYASHI My employer requires your services. One job. One day's work. Very dangerous. I don't expect all of you to live, but those who do will have ninety-one million dollars to divide any way they see fit.

KEATON Who's your boss?

KOBAYASHI My employer wishes to remain anonymous.

KEATON Don't jerk me off. We all know what this is. You don't work with me if I work with you without knowing who I'm working for. Now let's cut the shit. Who's the man?

KOBAYASHI I work for Keyser Soze.

A strange look crosses Keaton's face. Skepticism, mockery and just a hint of fear. Hockney, McManus and Fenster all share similar looks.

KEATON What is this?

VERBAL Who's Keyser Soze?

KOBAYASHI I am sure you've heard a number of tall tales, myths and legends about Mr. Soze I can assure you gentlemen, most of them are true.

VERBAL Who's Keyser Soze?

KOBAYASHI Judging by the sudden change in mood, I am sure the rest of your associates can tell you, Mr. Kint. I have come with an offer directly from Mr. Soze. An order actually.

KEATON An order.

KOBAYASHI In nineteen-eighty one, Mr. Keaton, you participated in the hijacking of a truck in Buffalo, New York. The cargo was raw steel. Steel that belonged to Mr. Soze and was destined for Pakistan to be used in a Nuclear reactor. A very profitable violation of U.N. Regulations. You had no way of knowing this, because the man shipping the steel was working for Mr. Soze without his knowledge. + (Beat) Mr. Fenster and Mr. McManus hijacked a twin-prop cargo flight earlier this year out of Newark airport. The plane was carrying platinum and gold wiring. Also set for Pakistan.

Kobayashi turns and points at Hockney.

KOBAYASHI (CONT'D) Two months ago, Mr. Hockney stole a truck carrying gun parts through Queens -

Everyone looks at Hockney. He smiles shyly. It occurs to them all that he robbed the truck for which they were all arrested in the first place.

KOBAYASHI (CONT'D) - guns allegedly set to be destroyed by the state of New York. They were to be "lost" in a weigh station and routed to Belfast. Again, Mr. Soze using pawns who had no knowledge. (turning to Verbal) Which brings us to Mr. Kint.

Verbal crumbles under his stare.

KOBAYASHI (CONT'D) Nine months ago, one of Mr. Soze less than intelligent couriers was taken in a complicated confidence seam by a cripple. He was relieved of sixty-two thousand dollars. Now (To all of them) - It has taken us some time to find you. Our intention was to approach you after your apprehension in New York.

KEATON You set up the line-up.

KOBAYASHI Mr. Soze made a few calls, yes. You were not to be released until I came to see you. It seems Mr. Keaton's attorney, Ms. Finneran, was a bit too effective in expediting his release. Holding the rest of you became a moot point.

KEATON What about Redfoot?

KOBAYASHI Mr. Redfoot knew nothing. Mr. Soze rarely t works with the same people for very long, and they never know who they're working for. One cannot be betrayed if one has no people.

FENSTER So why tell us?

KOBAYASHI Because you have stolen from Mr. Soze. That you did not know you stole from him is the only reason you are still alive, but he feels you owe him. You will repay your debt. HOCKNEY Who is this guy? How do we know you work for Soze

KOBAYASHI I don't think that is relevant, Mr. Hockney. The five of you are responsible for the murder of Saul Berg and his bodyguards. Mr. Redfoot can attest to your involvement, and we can see to it that he will. He is not of your "superior" breed.

MCMANUS This is a load of shit.

KOBAYASHI The offer is this, gentlemen. Mr. Soze's primary interest, as I am sure you all know, is narcotics. He's been - competing shall we say, with a group of

KOBAYASHI (cont'd) Argentinians for several years. Competing with Mr. Soze has taken its toll. These Argentinians are negotiating the sale of ninety-one million dollars in cocaine in three days time. Needless to say, this purchase will revitalize the diminishing strength of their organization. Mr. Soze wants you to stop the deal. If you choose, you may wait until the buy. Whatever money changes hands is yours. The transaction will take place on a boat in San Pedro. Mr. Soze wants you to get to the boat and destroy the cocaine on board. Then you are free of your obligation to Mr. Soze.

KEATON Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now.

Kobayashi smiles and puts his briefcase on the table in front of him.

KOBAYASHI A gift from Mr. Soze gentlemen.

He turns and walks out of the room.

verbal kint narrator of the usual suspectsVERBAL He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. One story the guys told me - the story I believe - was from his days in Turkey. There was a petty gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed + the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. After a while they come to power, and then they come after Soze He was small time then, just running dope, they say...

67 INT. SOZE'S HOME - DAY 67 Three of the Hungarians come bursting into Keyser Soze's home. They grab his five children and round them up in the front room. One of the men grabs his wife and back-hands her across the face.

VERBAL (V.O.) They come to his home in the afternoon looking for his business. They find his wife and kids in the house and decide to wait for Soze.

68 INT. SOZE'S HOME - LATER 68'

The front door opens and in walks Keyser Soze. We are never allowed to see his face.

Soze's wife lies in the corner, beaten and bruised. Her dress is tattered to shreds. She cannot look up at her husband.

The three Hungarians stand to greet him. Two hold guns in their hands. The third holds a straight razor. He grabs Soze youngest boy and holds the razor to his throat.

VERBAL (V.O.) He comes home to his wife raped and his children screaming. The Hungarians knew Soze was tough. Not to be trifled with. So they let him know they meant business.

The Hungarian smiles. Soze's wife SCREAMS IN HORROR. The Hungarian holds up a BLOOD SOAKED RAZOR. SUDDENLY, he grabs another child. A little girl no older than six.

VERBAL (V.O.) They tell Soze they want his territory - all his business. Soze looks over the faces of his family... Then he showed these men of will what will really was.

SUDDENLY, Soze pulls out a pistol and shoots the two men with guns. He turns and aims at the third man holding his child.

The man threatens to cut the child's throat, slicing just enough to draw blood.

SOZE FIRES.

The stunned Hungarian watches the child fall from his arms.

Soze turns the pistol on the next child, then the next and the next. He kills his children one by one in front of the Hungarian.

VERBAL (V.O.) He tells him he would rather' see his family dead than live another day after this.

SOZE walks over to his wife, crying and beaten on the floor and holds up her head. She gives him the strangest look. One of trust perhaps, saturated with fear and humiliation.

He puts the gun between her eyes and fires.

VERBAL (V.O.) He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends.

A dark and looming figure of a man walks in front of a wall of fire - a black shadow blurred by waves of heat.

VERBAL (V.O.) He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you. And nobody really ever believes.

69 69 INT. RABIN'S OFFICE - DAY

KUJAN Do you believe in him, Verbal?

VERBAL Keaton always said: "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser SOZE.

READ THE REVIEW

P Ramlee's Tribute Homepage
Mokui's Movie Tribute
Mokui's Movie Review

©Mokui's Movie Tribute