Minox Photo Gallery

MINOX PHOTO GALLERY

Copyright Mark Tharp, 2000

The following images were taken by a variety of Minox cameras I have owned over the years. With few exceptions they are taken with a Minox IIIs or III, using the "best guess" method of metering, and relying on the incredible latitude of modern print film to obtain a useable print.

What you see are reproductions of standard Minox Processing Lab prints, captured with an Olympus D-340R camera, downloaded into Adobe Photodelux Home Edition for sizing. I have used a pretty high compression to obtain reasonable download times, so some actually appear more "grainy" than the originals - not a good thing when you are using Minox prints to start with.

Even so, there are some things worth noting:

Your comments are welcome, email me by clicking HERE.

Please click on any image to see full size.

Macro of ice crystals that form near water under the right conditons. Note the extremely limited depth of field. That blue area at the top is not grain, it is pixels picked up in digitizing. The busy nature of these prints do a nice job of hiding the grain. Film - Minocolor 100. I shot these one winter day hiking near the Buffalo River in northern Arkansas. These beautiful, delicate crystals look at first glance like mushrooms. Film - Minocolor 100. These pictures are a good example of why I carry a Minox. I had no expectation of finding something like this, and if I had, there is no way I would have carried the necessary gear to do macro 35mm.
The Minox chain is not a necessity for shots like this as one of the blooms is absolutely bound to be in focus. Minocolor Pro 100. Another trip to the Buffalo. Church Cave with morning sun coming through the opening. I bracketed three of these to get this one. Minocolor 100. The blue winter sky against the white of the sycamore was startling, but I could not think of a perspective to capture it. This was the best of the lot. Minocolor 100.
I love the colors here. Minocolor 100. Another surprise. The sky exploded into color while I was out to get my newspaper. The colors were fading fast when I remembered my Minox III in my pocket. There would have been no time to get, much less use any other camera. Again, digitizing let me down - actual print shows little grain. Minocolor 100 A trip to France traveling light meant only the Minox III went with me. Chartres is my favorite place on earth, and I was very pleased with this shot, but then my expectations were very low. Minocolor Pro 100.
The south tower of Chartres cathedral. The Minox format works quite well if you fill the frame. Minocolor Pro 100. I shot almost an entire roll here at Chartres. I will not bore you with all of them. The northeast apse. Minocolor Pro 100. Flying buttresses, from a ventilation slit in the north tower.
Last one, I promise. Flying buttresses, south nave, Chartres cathedral. Who says you cannot get good travel photos with a Minox? Minocolor Pro 100. Yes Virginia, you can shoot time exposures with a Minox. This was just for fun, but would have been better if the moon had not been nearly full. Minocolor 100. Stone Chapel on the Drury College campus here in Springfield, under a full moon. Minocolor Pro 100.

RETURN TO MAGNIFICENT MINOX