SHOCKING ACCIDENT ON THE RAILWAY NEAR MILNTHORPE.

An inquest was held at the Station Inn, Milnthorpe, on Thursday week, by Mr. J.B.Wilson, coroner, on the body of Thomas William Robinson, who was killed on the railway the previous day.

The following evidence was adduced:-

Robert Parker Thompson, of Whasett Farm, deposed: The deceased, Thomas William Robinson, was my stepson. He was 30 years of age, and was a platelayer on the London and North-Western Railway, Milnthorpe length. The deceased met with an accident yesterday afternoon which caused his death.

Thomas Leather, of Whassett, platelayer on the London and North-Western Railway, deposed : I know the deceased, Thomas William Robinson. He lived at Whassett until Monday last, when he removed to Beetham. Yesterday afternoon, about 2-50, the deceased and I were working on the line near Pious Bridge and Elmsfield. The goods train from Preston to Carlisle was passing to the north, and the express from the north was passing south at the same time. I was working about 80 yards from the deceased at the south side of him. The goods train had passed the deceased, and he was standing bewteen the metals on which the passenger train was running. I saw the engine strike the deceased, and heard the engine whistle just before. The deceased was thrown off the line, on to the path by the side, and I went to him. James Hayton, another platelayer, was also with the deceased. There is a rule of the London and North-Western Railway Company (Rule 347) under which all platelayers work, and which is known to all of us, prohibiting us standing between any of the running lines when a train is approaching. The deceased was not obeying this rule at the time of the accident. The deceased was killed instantly.

James Hayton, of Holme, platelayer, deposed : I was working with the deceased, Thomas William Robinson, yesterday afternoon, and was about six yards from him when the accident happened. I stepped out of the way of the luggage train first and then saw the express coming on the lines I was standing between, about six or seven yards from us. I heard the express whistle just before it came to him. I did not see the deceased knocked down, but saw him directly afterwards. The express had passed me before it struck the deceased. The deceased was knocked off the lines altogether and killed instantly. An engine and van were sent from Burton and Holme station, where the deceased is now lying. I know of the rule prohibiting our standing between the metals when the trains are running, and both deceased and I were in the wrong in standing where we were as the express came up.
The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."

Westmorland Gazette 12th April 1890

Home Top Accidents
http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk

<< back