KILLED AT OXENHOLME STATION
(11th September 1880)

An accident happened today week at Oxenholme , a waller named Stewardson Martin Who had been at the alterations to the station have now been going on for some time. From the evidence it would seem that the deceased was counting his wages as he was crossing the line when a train came slowly up, and before he could get upon the platform knocked him down and shattered his leg badly and hurt him otherwise. The deceased was taken to the Kendal Hospital where he died during the night, after his leg had been amputated. The following evidence was given, Mary Martin, yard, 94 Kirkland, deposed , Stewardson Martin was my husband He was fifty years of age, He was a waller by trade and in the employment of the contractor for the additions to Oxenholme Station. Joseph McKeons of 118 Silk St Manchester, joiners labourer deposed I am working at Oxenholme Station, At a few minutes past twelve o'clock at noon on Saturday last, I was standing at the south end of the platform at Oxenholme Station near the booking office I saw the deceased he had just received his wage at the office of the contractor at the south end of the station and proceeded to cross the line He walked into the six foot and appeared to be counting his money . When in the six foot he suddenly stopped and appeared to be going to turn round to go back the same way, Just at that moment the train came up and as he turned round he saw it and endeavoured to proceed to get across and out of the way. Just as he was getting on the parapet wall on the west side the engine caught him and knocked him down between the parapet and the rails, and he lay there until the train had passed. I went to his assistance and deceased was immediately removed to the hospital. The train from the south was slackening speed as it came up to the deceased, and stopped within forty yards of the place. I was too far away, and could not hear any whistle. I did not see the train coming from the south until it was close upon the deceased. The subway is not yet completed. If deceased had been looking south he could See the train at a distance of 500 yards. John Thompson of Kendal Deposed, I attended deceased from the time of him being brought to the hospital on Saturday until his death. When he was brought to the hospital he was suffering from a broken arm internal injuries, and one of legs was all but severed from his body. Mr Leeming amputated the leg in my presence, and though he was very ill during the operation he rallied well and lived about eight hours after the operation. I saw deceased at about eight o`clock Saturday last. I attribute deceased's death to shock and internal injuries. I asked deceased how the accident happened , but he did not seem inclined to talk and said he did not know anything about it until he found himself there. When I saw deceased on Saturday night I was of the opinion that he may die of collapse at any time. James Wilson, of South St, Carlisle, engine driver deposed , I was driving a passenger train from Preston to Carlisle on Saturday last, we were timed to reach Oxenholme at 11.59 but did not arrive until 12.09. Before coming to Oxenholme I shut off steam below the distant signal and on coming to the station I should be driving at the rate of between four and five miles an hour. I did not see deceased upon the line but just as we were stopping I saw a hat and heard a crash in front of the engine, I took up the hat and gave it to one of the porters and gave information, so as far as I could see the line was perfectly clear. I blew my whistle just below the iron bridge which crosses the line about sixty to seventy yards from where the accident happened. Thomas Mitchell, extra fireman, Carlisle - Deposed I was on the engine with the last witness on Saturday last. Just before entering Oxenholme station on looking out I saw the line was clear, I saw a man standing in the six foot, and when we were about an engine length from him he made a rush across the rails on which we were travelling. The engine buffer beam struck him and knocked him down. Helen Dickie, matron of the hospital deposed , The deceased was admitted into the hospital about half-past twelve o`clock on Saturday afternoon last. Deceased died about twenty minutes to ten o`clock in the evening. The jury returned the verdict of " Died from injuries received from being accidentally run over by a passenger train at Oxenholme station "

KILLED AT OXENHOLME STATION -Westmorland Gazette Sat 18th Sept 1880

HomeTopAccidents
http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk

<< back