Fatal accident to a man crossing the line near Milnthorpe.
3rd June 1863
FATAL ACCIDENT ON THE RAILWAY NEAR MILNTHORPE
On Wednesday evening last, a dreadful accident occurred on the railway,   where the footpath from Milnthorpe to Farleton crosses the line, a few  hundred yards on the south side of Milnthorpe Station. An elderly man  named  Robert Green, farm labourer, with Mrs. Bell, of Overthwaite, had been  to  Milnthorpe, and was returning home betwixt nine and ten o'clock, when,  it is  supposed, while crossing the line, he was caught by the mail train  going  south, and instantly killed. His remains was found shockingly  mutilated. An  inquest was held on Thursday afternoon, at the Overthwaite Farm, before  C.  G. Thomson, Esq, when the following evidence was adduced : - Hugh Hayes, of Milnthorpe, coal agent, deposed. - I identify the body  of the  deceased as being that of Robert Green. He was a farm labourer,  residing at  Overthwaite. I have heard that he was sixty-four years of age. I met  the  deceased last night on the road between the station and Milnthorpe. He  was  then going in the direction of Overthwaite. I should think it would be  about  ten o' clock when I met him I just spoke to him and he passed on. He  was  apparently quite sober. I could not see any difference in him. When I  met  deceased he had a milk kettle or pan with him. He had it upon his  head.His  head was inside the kettle, and partly hung down on his face. He was a  man  who was not considered very bright in his intellect. In going from the  place  where I met the deceased to Overthwaite, he would have to cross the  railway.  The proper road is over a level crossing about 200 yards to the south  of the  station. Thomas Hall, of Preston, engine-driver, in the employ of the  London  and North Western Railway, deposed. - I am the driver of engine 565. I  was  driving the up limited mail yesterday evening which leaves Carlisle at  8.41,  and is due to pass Milnthorpe station at 10.16 p.m. We were about our time last night. The limited mail does not  stop  at Milnthorpe. We do not slacken speed before approaching the stations  where  we do not stop, unless there is a sharp curve or some special reason  for it.  After passing Milnthorpe station and reaching the level crossing about  200  yards to the south, I felt something under the ash pan of the engine. I   sounded the whistle for the guards to apply the breaks, and we pulled  up  about 400 yards from the spot. I examined the engine, but could see  nothing  except a mark on the buffer beam as if it had been struck by some hard  substance. The guard went back to look, and came again and said he  could  find nothing, and we then went forward. It was moonlight at the time  that we  passed Milnthorpe station. I could see a considerable distance, but not   clearly. I could have seen a light, but I don't think I could have  distinguished a man until we were close upon him. I did not see  anything  before approaching the crossing. My instructions are to whistle on  approaching stations and level crossings. I sounded the whistle a  little on  the north side of the bridge before approaching the station. I did not  sound  the whistle again before passing the crossing. It is not usual to do so ; the distance between the station and the station is so short that  the  whistle sounded before approaching the crossing, could be distinctly  heard  at the crossing. It was a beautiful calm night. No wind of any  consequence.  I reported at Preston, our first stopping place, that an attempt had  been  made to upset the train near Milnthorpe ; that was my impression at the   time. I did not hear of the accident until this morning about nine  o'clock. Henry Bagot, station master at Milnthorpe, said - In consequence of  hearing  a whistle after the up limited mail had passed Milnthorpe station last  night  I went on to the platform I then saw the man on duty running towards  the  mail which had just passed. I followed. When I over took the man I sent  him  back, and myself proceeded forward until I met the guard of the mail  and one  of the post office officials. The guard informed me that they were  under the  impression that an attempt had been made to throw the train off the  line and  were then searching for the obstruction. After searching a short time I   desired him to return to the train and proceed and I would search. I  did so,  and after first finding a hat I afterwards found the body of the  deceased  lying between the rails (in the middle of the four foot) over which the  mail  had passed. The body would be from forty to fifty yards from the level  crossing. When I found the deceased he was quite dead. His bowels  protruded.  His body was fearfully mangled. One foot was broken. I should say that  the  train could be seen by a person going over the level crossing for about  600  yards before it approached the crossing. The line was clear to the  south of  the crossing, there being only three waggons in the sidings, and they  formed  no obstruction to the view of the line from the crossing. We found the  pan  now produced some distance further south than the body. Verdict. - "  Accidentally killed by being run over by the limited mail train on the  Lancaster and Carlisle Railway."

THE WESTMORLAND GAZETTE SATURDAY 6th JUNE 1863 

This extract from the Westmorland Gazette, was transcribed and kindly sent in by "Steve."
http://keswick.ww1.googlepages.com/keswickatwar 

[ Accidents] [ Media ] [ Home ]

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk