MR. RICHARD MARSH, Chairman of the British Railways Board has returned a definite "no" to a plea by Lancaster MP Mrs Elaine Kellett-Bowman to include men from the Carnforth depot for training in the electrification' scheme.

After stating that the Carnforth men  have been given every facility to make their case. Mr Marsh writes: "The staff representatives on the London Midland Region Sectional Council, who represent the footplate staff for the whole of the Region, appreciate that. to allocate electric work to Carnforth would have serious repercussions elsewhere.

"This would jeopardise the whole balance of the allocation of work between depots. The position of the Carnforth men has been fully considered, but I  am afraid there is no justification, either on operational or economic grounds, for including them in the electrical working."

ASSURANCES

Mr Marsh concludes his letter with assurances that the action taken is the best for all concerned
But Mrs Kellett-Bowman is not happy about his explanation
She commented.'" I don't accept that there is a balance all.

Our men at Carnforth are totally excluded. and that's not my idea of balance. I feel very strongly that this is jeopardising their career prospects and the standard of living of their families."

A spokesman for ASLEF at the Carnforth depot, said that the men were making their own inquiries into the matter through the usual channels open to them.

Comment by Richard Marsh, Lancaster Guardian 13 th September 1974

<< back

[ Media ] [ Home ]

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk