Station's lasting encounter

Carnforth's stop may only play a bit part in the railways today but it has earned its place in the annals of film history. Neil Batey wiped away the tears to look back at the making of Brief Encounter, 50 years ago.

Alf Burgess, Elaine Maudsley and Leila Wildman return to Carnforth Station where they played extras alongside the stars. Picture: Nigel Slater

Alf Burgess, Elaine Maudsley and Leila Wildman return to Carnforth Station where they played extras alongside the stars. Picture: Nigel Slater

WELL Up there with the venerable weepie 'Gone With The Wind', holding its ground firmly against strong blubbfest fare of the 'Ghost' and 'Casablanca' variety - classic lurve story 'Brief Encounter' still accounts for healthy profit margins at the Kleenex factory a full 50 years on from its original release.

Effectively used as the blueprint for many a soppy date movie hitherto, 'Brief Encounter' 'was the moving and, let's be frank, affecting tale of a forbidden romance against the backdrop of British Rail before privatisation and over-priced Danish pastries were even thought of, squire!

And what's more, much of the footage was shot at the now thoroughly litter-strewn Carnforth train station. Many excited local folk - completely unaware that they were about to be immortalised in a celluloid masterpiece - volunteered for walk-on parts and mingled with mega celebs Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard.

For two weeks Carnforth was a glamorous place indeed. Director types wandered around chomping cigars while cameras and light stands were jiggled around for extensive night shoots. With the exception of 'The Entertainer' local scenery has never been featured 50 prominently in a Hollywood feature film.

With a undeniable them-were-the-days lilt to her voice, Carnforth resident and 'Encounter' movie extra Elaine Maudsley recalled her experience: ''It was absolutely wonderful. I was 19 at the time and working at Carnforth station in the refreshments room.

"I was used as an extra for a walk on part and in a train as a passenger. It was great because at the time I was getting paid 35 shillings a night as an extra, but only between 12 and 16 shillings a WEEK at the station!

"One funny incident 'was during the filming of my big walk on scene on the railway platform. The cameras were rolling and as I walked past Stanley Holloway he suddenly grabbed my leg and everyone fell about laughing!"

Elaine and other local extras were able to relive their cinematic legacy last Sunday at the Dukes Playhouse, when two showings of the film were screened for, the general public and a jolly good day of reminiscences 'was enjoyed by many.

Also present was Carnforth town mayor Edna Jones, a wee snip of a lass during BE'S filming: "I was 17 years old and was devastated when my mother wouldn't let me go out at night and be an extra. It was very exciting because nothing ever happened in Carnforth back then.

"To be honest the first time I saw the film L thought it was quite boring, but I really appreciated it on the big screen again on Sunday. We have had some Japanese tourists in town and one chap, Mr Naga-something-or-other, said Brief Encounter is such a cult film in Japan it is shown at least once a week on television!"

Carnforth Town Council met this week to discuss proposals for a special town celebration of the film's anniversary. British Rail meanwhile, have vetoed such suggestions; something about leaves on the lines apparently...

Station's lasting encounter, The Visitor, March 15 th 1995

Beginning of this page
Previous story Next story

<< back

[ Media ] [ Home ]

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk