Report by Mr Mizuhiko Yamaguchi, for the
Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper,Tokyo,
16 th February 1988

When I looked for Milford, the scene of the brief encounter of Laura, a married woman, and Alec, a doctor, on a map of England, I found five places with the same name. But, on investigation, none of these places turned out to be the location of the film. In reality the Milford in the film is Carnforth, a town about 400km N.N.W. of London and about 10km north of the industrial city of Lancaster.

The location team sent by the director, David Lean, had to search for a country station where main line and local trains passed but express trains did not stop and there were no local trains at night, and finally, they settled on this town which had a factory equipped for the maintenance of steam locomotives.

When I visited Carnforth after phoning from London, with the town clerk, Mr Frank Dutton who came to welcome me, I found it just as in the film. The cinema "Roxy" that Laura and Alec went into together was right in front of the station. The front had been converted into a supermarket but the brick building was just as it used to be. The little park where Laura was looked at suspiciously by a policeman as she wandered through the town at night at the end of the play, was on one side, and the station tea-room, though now used as an office, looked the same on the outside. Even the remains of the station's name board "Milford" was still there. Looking up I could see the great clock, that urged the two to part, still ticking away the seconds. To my surprise, Mr Dutton was not alone to meet me. The assistant driver of the slow train that Laura got into, Alfred Bergus, and the mayoress, Edna Jones, in official dress with a gleaming medal, were there too.

"Since that film was made you are the third person to come here for information, and you a Japanese!" said Mr Bergus. There was a welcome from the whole town for the Japanese who had come such a distance.

In the film the two main characters are wearing overcoats all the time but in fact the play was filmed in May 1945, fifteen days after the defeat of the German army. The filming began after seven in the evening and continued until dawn.

"At that time I was seventeen" said Mrs Jones, the Mayoress, "My mother was old-fashioned and would not allow me to watch the night filming or take part as an extra. It's a pity."

The assistant driver of the train "Stanya Class 4", Mr Bergus, was 21 at the time. "For taking part in the film I received the great sum of �30.00 for two weeks. During the filming we had splendid 6 course meals and had tea twice, a real extravagance at that time just after the war. The camera staff got �40 a week, so there even had to be a warning not to squander money in front of the young people. But the work was exacting. I had to start the train 150 times.

The former driver and the mayoress's talk became lively as they looked back over 43 years

"Trevor Howard gave the impression of being rather unapproachable but Celia Johnson was friendly and even came and spoke to us. Although she wore hardly any make-up she was really beautiful. She was a real lady!"

"Thanks to my mother I didn't even have a chance to get a glimpse of the two. When I was 18 and went to see the film I thought it rather dull but when I saw it the other day I thought it was wonderful. It seemed like a classic."

However a questionnaire in an English magazine a few days ago showed that six out of ten married women are hungry for romance. If there had been this kind of questionnaire in Laura's generation, what would the response have been?

Most of the play was filmed in a studio on the outskirts of London and Carnforth's "historic" fortnight was compressed into less than 10 minutes on the screen.

Fifteen years after the shooting of the film there was another historic event in Carnforth. The age of the steam train came to an end.

Mr Dutton urged us to visit the railway Museum on the site of the former factory. Only remodelling of the passenger coach was not yet complete. It is recorded that the remodelling of the Orient Express took precedence.

"How is it that such a typically English film attracts such interest from the Japanese?" I was asked during an interview by the local broadcasting company on the platform.

As I turned to the microphone to answer, an express train passed triumphantly through the station.

This article has been translated into English, and I have copied it as faithfully as possible, including the spelling mistakes.
Some of the facts don't appear to be totally correct, this may be inaccuracies or misunderstandings by the journalist, or it may be a little "journalistic licence"

If anybody wants to re-translate it for themselves, I do have a photocopy, of the original article, in Japanese.

Report by Mr Mizuhiko Yamaguchi, for the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, Tokyo,16 th February 1988

<< back

[ Media ] [ Home ]

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk