Behold The Mystery     |   home

Magickal Living

As pagans we try out best to live in harmony with all of nature. If we listen carefully, our purpose in this life time will be made clear. The more connected we are with the Gods and the elements the quicker our spirituality will develop.
Ritual is a wonderful way of connecting with the Gods, the elements, and all who have ever worshipped them, and all who ever will. But we do not need to wait until the Full Moon or the next Sabbat to make this connection. Opportunities surround us.

Each day is a blessings:

Try to do a Self Blessing every morning and see how you begin to look at things differently. The Blessing may be done by touching each area of your body with your finger. You may want to anoint yourself with oil or water as you do it. Dew is also nice. You can also act out the Blessing or turn it into a dance.

(Top of head) Bless me Lord and Lady (God and Goddess, or whichever names you prefer) for I am your child.
(Third eye) Bless my mind that I may know of your truth and wisdom.
(Throat) Bless my voice that I may speak with kindness.
(Heart) Bless my heart that I may feel your love and allow your light to shine forth.
(Genital area) Bless my womb (or seed or body) that I may be made aware of all life.
(Knees) Bless my knees that kneel at the sacred altar.
(Feet) Bless my feet that they lead me always on the path of right and reverence.
(Hands) Bless my hands that they be instruments of creation and healing.
(Top of head again) Bless me with your presence this day Lord and Lady for I am your child.

Feel free to modify the Blessing anyway you like. If you need to make a speech that day you could say something like “Bless my voice that I may speak with eloquence and surety”. If you have a test coming up you could try, “Bless my mind that I may think clearly and remember well.”

Find the magick in the mundane:

Think about the elements as you go about your normal everyday business:

Experience the Air as you watch the trees sway and the clouds and birds move across the sky. Even as you feel Air blowing from a fan or heating or cooling duct know that the Spirits of Air are with you.

Think about the magick of Fire as you drive your car — it keeps the engine running. When you eat a hot meal or drink a hot beverage the Spirit of Fire touches you and you are energized.

Experience the element of Water as you put a load of laundry in the washing machine, drive through the rain, pour a glass of water or fix a cup of tea.

Throughout the day whenever you have the opportunity to walk on the Earth, or even on pavement feel the Earth beneath your feet. Consciously connect with Her and the Strength of the Earth will be yours. If you must be indoors all day carry a stone or a crystal with you to hold whenever you need that connection.

Throughout the day, consciously connect with the elements wherever and whenever you encounter them.

Some Magickal ideas for releasing tension and anger and/or healing:

Swim in the Ocean—the soothing waters of Mother Earth’s womb wash your troubles and anger away.Take a ritual bath—do some research into aromatherapy and use appropriate oils in the bath

If a ritual bath or swim are not convenient just hold your hands under running water for a minute or put a bit of water in the basin and feel the tension and negativity drain from you hands into the water. Adding a pinch of salt to the water helps. Focus your anger into a spot in the air in front of you, encase it in a bubble and envision it floating away. Take time for yourself and DON’T feel guilty.

Ground: Touch, sit, or lie on the Earth and send your anger down into the fiery core of the Earth where it will be burned away.

Swim in the Ocean and focus on the healing and nurturing aspects of the Mother.

Remember: Healing energies are all around us — in the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, plants and trees, rocks — everywhere. When you are feeling weak draw these energies into yourself. The Goddess makes these gifts available to all who have shown Her sensitivity and understanding. Use them – just don’t forget to say “thank you”.

Mealtimes:

Every time we have a bite to eat is an opportunity to reconnect with the Gods and the elements. Before you dig in, pause a minute and either think or say the following:

For the seeds that grew them,
For the cows that gave the milk, for the chickens, that laid the eggs,
For the lives of the animals whose bodies will nourish ours,
For those who planted and tended,
For the Wind, the Sun, the Rain, and the Earth that nourished them,
For those who harvested, milked, gathered and slaughtered,
For those who carried, prepared and delivered,
I thank you Lord and Lady (God & Goddess, or specific names)

The food blessing should be modified according to the type of food you are blessing. The idea is to acknowledge all the hard work and sacrifice that went into your meal.

As you say the blessing aloud or in your head) envision someone sowing seeds, milking the cow, kneading the bread. Try to picture how these things are done now with modern technology on some occasions. And for variety try to envision how they were accomplished hundreds, or even thousands of years ago. If it were not for those ancient farmers we wouldn’t be here now.

You may chose to make a libation to the Gods occasionally or even for each meal. When choosing your offering remember: You are making a libation to the Gods to thank them for providing your meal and to show them that you trust them to provide you with food in the future. Therefore, a libation should include the nicest pieces of each type of food. These should be carefully placed on a plate, not just heaped in a bowl as though you were slopping hogs. The entire plate can be set outside under a tree or in some bushes, or carefully slide the food from the plate onto the Earth. Do not just toss the food. Tossing is fine if we are feeding the animals, but remember, this is a libation to the Gods. Liquid libations can be poured directly on the ground.
      Some people reserve a special place in their yards for leaving libations, or you could leave them in different places until you find one that feels right.

Ritual Bath:

A ritual bath can be a way of preparing for ritual, a ritual by itself, or wonderful way of unwinding at the end of the day. Here is one way to prepare a ritual bath. Feel free to modify it and add oils of your choice:

Items needed for ritual: Incense, dish of salt, white candle, a pitcher of water (rain, ocean, stream or a mixture of the three). Clean the room thoroughly and layout your best, fluffiest towels. Fill the tub. Light the candle. Turn out the room lights.
      Wave the incense in a deosil motion above the bath while saying, “Spirits of Air, bless this Water. Help me breathe away any thoughts that cloud my mind. Help me to remember the song of the Sky Father and to be filled with Your gift of freedom. Blessed be.”

Move the candle deosil above the bath while saying, “Spirits of Fire, bless this Water. Your inspiration is felt in all acts of creativity. Let me feel my creative energies renewed. Blessed be.”

Again, moving deosil, pour the chalice of water into the bath and say, “Spirits of Water, bless this bath. As you are the tears of the sorrow and the joy of the Mother, flowing from Her as the tides and the rain, let me feel the love of the Mother in these Waters. Blessed be.”

Sprinkle the salt into the bath with a deosil motion (three pinches is good), “Spirits of Earth, bless this Water. Cleanse away fears and stress as I enter. Let me feel the warm embrace of the Mother Earth, and know that Her wisdom is for all to share. Blessed be.”

Stay as long as you like and feel the stress drain away. You may find the ritual bath a good place to meditate.

Meditation:
      Ideally, meditation should be part of your daily routine. Try to set aside at least 15 minutes a day for meditation, it is the key to magickal and spiritual growth. And of course an hour or two would be much better. The more often you meditate the more quickly you will become acquainted with yourself, the Gods, and the powers of the Universe which are available to you.
      If you are having difficulty meditating try a guided meditation tape such as Starhawk’s, “The Way To The Well”.

Save a life:

There is no greater feeling in all the world than saving a life - try to make it at least one a day.  Make a habit of moving flies, spiders and other bugs out of your house or car rather than killing them - with a glass and piece of card if needed.  These are all the Goddesses creatures and deserve as much respect as we do.