A Launch Ramp Tale

Joe McWilliams

West Wight Potter "Zephyr" #1511

I once owned an old pickup that I kept solely for the purpose of hauling my boat to and from the launch ramp, a distance of .5 miles from the house. The truck got very little attention and living half a block from the beach it slowly started to deteriorate, both cosmetically and mechanically. I didn't worry much when the emergency brake cable broke; I just rigged a pair of wheel chocks from 2x4's with lines running from the chocks to the side mirrors so I could simply drive out of the chocks and they would follow me up the ramp. I didn't even worry when the engine began running roughly until it was good and warmed up; I just left it running and warming up on the ramp as I loaded the boat on the trailer. After all, the double height 2x4 chocks were better than an emergency brake since it was so easy to drive off from the chocks and not have to synchronize brake lever and clutch pedal. I knew that NOTHING could roll backwards over 4" of wood. Meanwhile the truck was still being neglected, including the tire pressure.

One day I'm absent-mindedly winching my boat up onto the trailer, thinking about the nice sail I've just had. Things are going swell as I watch the keel slide nicely into each roller in turn. It suddenly dawns on me that the trailer is moving under the boat but the boat is remaining stationary. I jump from the trailer to the right side of the truck and look at the chocked wheels. The tires, low on pressure, had literally oozed on and around the chocks and in fact were now in the process of oozing right on over the chocks. I spring to the passenger side and try to open the door just as the tires finish oozing over the chocks, but that door is locked. The truck is rolling into the bay as I sprint around to the driver side. When I get there, the water is half way up the door and I have to overcome water pressure to force it open. As the water rushes through the open door I am swept into the cab, but manage to get my foot on the brake. Amazingly, the engine is still running even though water is over the seat. I smile thinking I can still drive it out. I press the accelerator, release the clutch and just as the truck starts to move the engine dies with a gurgle and a lurch.

As I wade onto the ramp, I glance back and become acutely aware of what the phrase "down by the bow" really means. My little boat looks like it's trying to bury it's head in embarrassment with it's stern pointing at the sky. The trailer winch ratchet was set, the line was still secured to the bow fitting and the trailer is trying to drag the boat down with it. Thinks I, "That's easy enough to fix. I'll just dive down and released the ratchet." Obviously I wasn't thinking clearly at this point because the winch handle damn near beat me to death before I could get clear.

I eventually got that old truck running again. I flushed the salt water out of the engine and fuel tank with kerosene and after it all dried out was able to crank it up and go. Of course the fenders were falling off six months later. I needed a new truck anyway.

Up to Articles

Home Anchor Email