Scientific Miracles of the Quran  Salam - July1998 Issue - [Content Page]

By Mohd Azhar Terimo

For those non-Jackie Chan fans or those who missed the movie, the film is about a soldier who went in search of his true identity after he suffered temporary amnesia. Most undergraduates will similarly be confronted with this seemingly easy question - either when they are still the �blur-like-sotong� freshies or when they have evolved into the lecture-hardened seniors. Seemingly easy? Is the answer not straightforward and outright simple? Oh definitely not! Especially for you inquisitive and intelligent lot who have successfully scaled to the top of this proverbial Everest of education. I believe it is not difficult for you to see that it is a �loaded� question. It challenges us to define ourselves beyond the superficial and arbitrary description etched permanently on our birth certificates. The terms Javanese, Malay, Chinese, Boyanese or Indian say very little of who we are other than the fact that our parents or our parents� parents came from certain geographical area. Also identification of oneself based on our skin colour seems trivial, if not an outright insult to our intelligence. Like most of you will argue, even skin colour can change. Just look at Michael Jackson! Who would have guessed that he was born that white (and pretty too, if I may add). Attempts to define oneself in terms of our material status and social standings are even more unsatisfactory. Wealth and fame are undoubtedly transient in nature. We can be rich one day and poor the next and vice versa. Even an identity defined by our gender only points to things that are obvious - that one is called a man or woman due to his/her physical and biological make-up. All these classifications say nothing of our purpose and responsibilities as a living and most importantly, thinking entity. It is these questions that one must justify before we can truly comprehend who we really are.

Behold thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent (khalifa) on earth".1 

It is a daunting task to know even oneself. This is especially true in a huge environment, like campus, where we can be drowned in sea of people. More often, we end up being a mere administrative number, like 98-1765L-01. Most undergraduates, lured by the promise of recognition and affiliation, join the many ECA groups, or move around in cliques in order to establish an identity for themselves. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. However, the drawback lies when we get too engrossed in this new identity as a member of so-and-so that we forget who we really are and what our purpose is.

I have only created jinns and men, that they may serve (worship) Me.2 

What�s more alarming is when the groups that we willingly embrace pull us in a whirl of activities that compromise our beliefs and rebel against our inherent disposition. Most of these activities claim to be just plain fun. But are they really? No, there�s nothing wrong in having fun. By all means, have fun! Play sports, go travel, and what have you. After all, with the GARGANTUAN amount of work that needs to be done before getting that much sought-after scroll (no, I don�t get a kick frightening you guys like this, well...maybe a little), it would be crazy not to be able to sit back, relax, "have a cuppa" and enjoy your friends� company once in a while. However, that is not to say to have fun at the expense of forgetting or forsaking our responsibilities as a human being and denying or suppressing any knowledge of who we are.

And the life of this world is nothing but play and amusement. But far better is the house in the Hereafter for those who are pious (righteous).3 

To know who we are physically is a very simple task. Just stand in front of the mirror and look at ourselves. Even then we will be surprised to see the little blemishes here and there that we have not seen before. However to really know who we are, in terms of our purpose of existence, is slightly more difficult, if we do not put any effort to unravel it ourselves. French philosopher, Rene Descartes once said, "cogito ergo sum" meaning "I think, therefore I am". The ability to comprehend only justify our physical existence but surely there is more to it than just our physical being.

So, who are we?

The road to self-discovery is undoubtedly full of obstacles. Occasionally, we get side-tracked, often believing that we know who we are whereas the identity that we assumed usually runs in the opposite direction to our nature. However, this is something which we must expect, for life itself is a test, of our character and our deeds. And only those who know who they really are, emerged stronger and better from it.

Blessed is He in Whose

Hand is the dominion, and He is Able to do all things. Who has created death and life that He may test you, which of you is best in deed. And He is All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving.4 

So, who are we?

We must return to our original self, like as if we were just born. We must contemplate the wonders of our creation, and the creation of this wondrous universe. We must determinedly seek to find this answer which has long been answered but which we know little of or simply forget.

It is He Who has created you from dust, then from a sperm-drop, then from a leech-like clot; then does He get you out (into the light) as a child; then lets you (grow and) reach your age of full strength, then lets you become old - though of you there some who die before - and lets you reach a term appointed; in order that you may learn wisdom.5 

So who are we?

Chances are, we already have the answer within us, but somehow, it got misplaced through the years of being lax in our responsibilities and pre-occupied with being someone we are not. Thus, we need to search deep within ourselves, stripping and discarding the layers of fake identities that we have worn like borrowed clothes that do not fit, over the years.

So, who am I?

I am NOT just a Malay, or a male, or an NUS undergraduate, or the son of so and so, or the President of this club or that society or, some middle-income kid, or a lecturer�s favourite student or anything else, for that matter.

So, who am I?

I am a MUSLIM.

O you who believe! Fear Allah and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow, and fear Allah. Verily Allah is All-Aware of what you do.

Reference:

1. Al-Quran. Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 30.
  2. Al-Quran. Surah Az-Zariyat, verse 56.
  3. Al-Quran. Surah Al-An�am, verse 32.
  4. Al-Quran. Surah Al-Mulk, verse 1-2.
  5. Al-Quran. Surah Ghafir, verse 67.
  6. One who is at peace with himself due to his total submission to the Divine Will of God.
  7. Al-Quran. Surah Al-Hashr, verse 18-19
  8. Al-Quran. Surah Al-Hashr, verse 18-19

Scientific Miracles of the Quran  Salam - July1998 Issue - [Content Page]