San Diego Union Tribune
Saturday, January 15, 2000

TOP DOG
Cartoon Canine being embraced by old and new generation of viewers. . .

by Gil Griffin
staff writer (San Diego Union Tribune)

Zoinks!
Nope, it's not just you. Everywhere you look, there's Scooby-Doo, that lovable television cartoon canine Generation X and Y members adopted in their 1970s and 1980s childhoods.
Not just on TV, through reruns and original movies on cable's Cartoon Network, which airs the 30-year-old "Scooby-Doo Where Are You!" and its subsequent spinoffs in a dozen time slots each week.
And not just in stuffed, talking dolls on toy store shelves, or on the Internet where there are dozens of Web Sites about the show.
He's made his way into the pop-culture consciousness of new generations of fans, including present-day toddlers.
About 2 million people currently watch the Scooby reruns in prime time, making it one of the channel's highest-rated shows, said Dea Perez, the Cartoon Network's vice president of programming and acquisitions.
In November, the Catoon Network aired and original animated movie, "Scooby-Doo and the Witches' Ghost," which scored a 2.4 household rating (4.1 million viewers), the best rating in that time periord this year for any other Cartoon Network program.
"I don't think he ever went away," Perez said.
"He's managed to stay in the hearts of everybody, no matter what generation. He's a great character. He's big and lovable and talks goofy and has a goofy sidekick with him. Everybody can identify with him."

Perpetually Hungry

For the uninitiated, here's the skinny on Scooby.
The cartoon's history began in 1969, when "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" premiered on CBS. The show was created by the legendary team of William Hanna ans Joseph Barbera, who, in the 1960 and '70s, created such classic cartoon fare as "The Flinstones," "The Jetsons," Hong Kong Phooey," "Josie & the Pussycats" and "Space Ghost."
The premise for "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" -- inspired by the old radio show "I Love a Mystery" -- involved four animated teenagers: Daphne and Freddy, the glamorous couple; the bookish Velma; Scooby-Doo (the spotted Great Dane who spoke English in a singularly unique accent); and his best pal, the gaunt, perpetually hungry Shaggy, who would always scream, "Zoinks!" when startled.
Together, the gang cruised around in a customized green van called "The Mystery Machine," looking for cases to solve. In each episode, they'd encounter ghosts, ghouls and monsters in haunted houses, looking to do them harm. In the end, Scooby-Doo and his crew would always get the job done.
Part of Scooby's Motivation was his friends' dangling the reward of a "Scooby snack" -- we never really got to see what that was -- for solving the case.
And when the bad guys were busted -- or literally unmasked -- you could always count on the ringleaders to utter a signature lament: "If it hadn't been for you meddling kids. . ."
Scooby-Doo was first designed and drawn by Iwao Takamoto, who created several Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters. Because of Scooby's goofiness, Takamoto created Scooby in the opposite image of a prized show dog owned at the time by a Hanna Barbera employee.
Don Messick was the original voice of Scooby, while Casey Kasen -- yes, he of radio's "American Top 40" fame -- did Shaggy's. The show was instantly successful and from 1969-1976 became a Saturday morning staple.
ABC-TV picked up the show from CBS and created myriad "Scooby" spinoffs, including "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Show," "Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics," and "Scrappy-Doo," which featured Scooby's smart aleck "nephew."
Scooby shows seemed to have run their course by 1990, when no new episodes were made.
But then in 1992, the Cartoon Network, a channel owned by Time Warner Inc., which reaches 60 million homes, was launched. It paid about $300 million to aquire the Hanna-Barbera cartoon library, of which "Scooby-Doo" was a major part.

"Scooby" reruns were aired and a new audience was cultivated.
"I prefer Scooby over Pokemon," said Daton Morris, 11, of De Portola Middle School in Tierrasanta.
"I was probably 6 when I started watching. I'm always guessing who the bad guy is. I like Scooby because he always ends up catching the bad guy by accident. It's also funny how he talks. It's ironic that he's so scared, but he ends up catching the villans."
With the demand for new "Scooby" adventures, Warner Bros. acted in 1998. A direct-to-home video calles, "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island," with the original characters (but new voice artists), was made and released. It later aired on the Cartoon Network.

Last Year, "Scooby-Doo and the Witche's Ghost," was broadcast. A new movie, "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders" is set for release this year.
"We get about 500 to 1,000 pieces of mail each week," Perez said, "and more than half of that is about 'Scooby-Doo.'"
"We also get alot of e-mails and drawings from kids about Scooby. Their parents have introduced them to the show."
Other programs parents are watching have also played a part in the Scooby revival.
"Ghosts and aliens are really popular right now," said Dan Capone, vice president of marketing and development for family entertainment and special interest for Warner Home Video.
"Things like 'Roswell' (on WB) and 'The X-Files' (on Fox) are to adults what Scooby-Doo is for kids. As kids see the shows adults are watching, they get into it. Kids can relate to the fact that Scooby's scared, but he still saves the day."

Get a Scooby-Doo life

The voice of the new Scooby-Doo and Shaggy characters is Scott Innes, a 33-year-old radio disc jockey on WYNK-FM in Baton Rouge, LA.
"Scooby-Doo is my life," Innes said.
"Everything in my house is Scooby-Doo. My wife and I wore air-brused 'Scooby-Doo' T-shirts at our wedding. It's a feel good thing."
Innes said the theme song hooked him when he watched the show as a child, in his home in Poplar Bluff, Miss. He said he even told his ele,entary school teachers that one day he'd be the voice of Scooby-Doo.
He realized his dream accidently.
Innes recorded a song parody doing Shaggy's voice and left it on the voice mailbox of Hanna Barbera officials.
The called Innes back and invited him to audition for the roles of both Shaggy and Scooby.
Innes got the gig, and now he flies to Los Angeles every few months to record Scooby's voice in the studio.
"It's not like other cartoons and shows where you're worried what the kids will hear," Innes said, explaining the new Scooby phenomenon.

"This is safe for kids to watch. It's bigger than it ever was. It takes us back to a time when things were a little simpler. Scooby-mania is everywhere."
That's partly because Scooby merchandise is.

Warner Bros. is marketing about 30 talking Scooby products and other items, including a CD-ROM game ("Scooby-Doo and the Mystery of the Fun Park Phantom") cups, Pez dispensers, lollipops, key chains, watches, backpacks, and boxer shorts.
One of the most popular Scooby collectibles being sold at toy stores this holiday season is a stuffed talking doll that sells for $9.99.
"When we first sold it the day after Thanksgiving, it flew out of here," said Mike Estrada, manager of K.B. Toys in La Jolla.
"People were muling me for the last six. It was a lot of people in their 20s and teen-agers who grew up watching it. They see it again and it's nostalgic for them."

Of course, Scooby-mania won't surpass America's current obession with toys related to Pokemon or professional wrestling, but Estrada said that at his store, Scooby products aren't too far behind.
"It surprises me a little but," Estrada said.
"I think ('Scooby') is doing better than most other cartoons as far as comebacks. 'Voltron' (a 1980s cartoon series) came back with some action figures, but it didnt catch on like 'Scooby'."
Perez partly attributes Scooby's resurgence to an audience demand for quaility children's programming.
"In the '80s things got to be awlful because the cartoons were created to sell toys," Perez said. "In the '60s and '70s, people payed attention the the art and the stories and a lot of care was taken in creating them. People have started paying attention to the story again."

Verna Panao, 11, said she enjoys solving the mysteries along with the characters.
"'Scooby-Doo' is the only show I know that's humorous and mysterious," Verna said.

"It's funny that Shaggy and Scooby are always so scared and that when Shaggy's scared he jumps into Scooby's arms. And it's funny on 'Scooby-Doo' that when they find the villian, it's always someone they know. Other mystery shows on TV are scary."

Perez now sees "Scooby-Doo" having an indefinite life-span.
"Kids love to solve mysteries," Perez said.
"'Scooby-Doo' has a hero, a bad guy and a ghost in every episode. Good shows are always good shows."

The Images conained on theses pages are scanned & edited by the webmaster (except those otherwise marked). SCOOBY-DOO and all related characters and elements are trademarks of Hanna-Barbera C. 1998 CARTOON NETWORK and logo are trademarks of Cartoon Network C. 1998. It is not the intention of the webmaster to in anyway infrindge on these copyrights. If you have any questions or comments, contact the Webmaster, Starr, at [email protected].