U 325
10:24 to 10:56
-17° to -28°
Ant, Crt, Hya

THE SHORT-LIVED CONSTELLATION Felis the Cat lies near the right edge of this barren map. As if to make up for the lack of interesting sights, the spectacular planetary nebula "Ghost of Jupiter" can be picked out amongst the stars of Hydra.

FEATURED OBJECTS: NGC 3242.

NGC 3242
Ben 45
Ghost of Jupiter
PK261+32.01
RA 10:24:47
Dec -18° 37.6'
Planetary nebula

This remarkable planetary in Hydra is known as the Ghost of Jupiter, after a comment on its appearance by Admiral Smythe. It was discovered by William Herschel (H IV-027) on February 7, 1785 with his newly completed 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope. He called it "a beautiful, very brilliant globe of light; a little hazy on the edges, but the haziness goes off very suddenly, so as not to exceed the 20th part of the diameter, which I suppose to be from 30 to 40 arcseconds. It is round, or perhaps a very little elliptical, and all over of an uniform brightness: I suppose the intensity of its light to be equal to that of a star of the 9th magnitude." and also as "Beautiful, brilliant, planetary disk, ill defined, but uniformly bright, the light of the colour of Jupiter. 40 arcseconds diameter. Second observation, near 1' diameter by estimation."

h: "a very fine, large, planetary nebula, 25 arcseconds in diameter; a little elliptic; very bright; uniform, but owing to a hot wind too ill defined for detailed examination." On the next sweep, he saw it as "planetary nebula, or a decided pale blue colour, but not so full a blue as the planetary nebula [NGC 3918] ; oval; pos of the longer axis = 135 degrees approx.; 30 arcseconds long; 25 arcseconds broad; uniform and very bright; but not quite sharp at the edges." On a third occasion he called it "very bright, decidedly elliptic, a little dim at edges; colour very decided pale blue; diam in RA = 3s. Pos of longer axis about 130 degrees; pos of the nearer of two companion stars = 172 degrees." His final observation was "viewed past meridian; place from Piazzis' Catalogue. Somewhat hazy, with a slight nebulous atmosphere. Colour a decided blue; at all events a good sky-blue. Elliptic; pos of axis = 140 degrees; diam in RA 2.5s. Has 2 companion stars (a) pos = 173 deg. (b) pos = 137.8 deg." He sketched this and other planetary nebulae, commenting: "[these] represent planetary nebulae, a class of special interest, and of which, considering their general rarity, the southern heavens have afforded a rather unexpectedly large harvest. Those only are here delineatted which have either accompanying stars, or which are distinguished by some peculiarity, as ... [NGC 3242] which has a slight chevelure or nebulous haze exterior to its large oval disc; ..."

Hartung notes: "Photos indicate a central star 11.3 mag in a broad spindle 26 x 16 arcsec in pa 145 deg which lies in a fainter ellipse 40 x 35 arcsec. I have made out these features with 30cm, the spindle being brightest at the ends."

Houston notes that a 6-inch scope will show a bright central region as well as traces of a fainter outer envelope. "In my 5-inch moonwatch scope it is bright and easy . . since the surrounding field is poor, this planetary is quite eyecatching. It is ringlike, with a surface brightness only three times less than M57 . . I have used up to 150x on NGC 3242 without image breakdown. Under good conditions a 6-inch scope shows the 11th mag central star."

Texereau and Sagot, in Revue des Constellations, write: "Easily visible, starlike in a 27mm 13x finder. Readily recognized as a planetary of appreciable size and with shaded edges in a 55mm refractor at 50x. Central part uniform and very bright in a 95mm refractor at 95x. Elliptical in a 200mm reflector at 200x. Central part grayish, and squared into a bright lozenge with a dimming outer edge, in a 215mm reflector at 375x. Colour bluish or yellow."

Steve Coe, observing with a 17.5" f/4.5 at 100X, notes: " Wow, Looks like CBS eye, greenish at all powers, Central star easy at 300X. Very bright, large, round. AT 650X on a night I rated 8/10 for seeing, there is a small, dark circular area around the central star. A very nice planetary with lots of internal detail at high power. Sentinel 13" 8/10--100X bright, pretty large, little elongated 1.2 X 1 PA 135, central star comes and goes with the seeing, light green or aqua. 220X--CBS eye obvious dark background and bright oval that encompassed the central star. Still very light green. UHC makes the central star disappear. 440X--Best view, several bright knots to southeast of central star, bright spots within CBS oval. High power shows the color as grey, not green, but high power brings out most detail, including central star and bright knots in disk.

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: "8.9M; 40" diameter; large, bright and round; 11.5M center star visible at 285x; annular bright ring apparent midway from center to outer edge; a.k.a. the "Cat's Eye"."

IAAC contribution by Chuck Layton: (8-inch f/6 Newtonian): This nebula is a small to medium sized planetary that is fairly easy to distinquish from surrounding stars at low powers. It was a vivid blueish green at 76X. The central bright area was slightly triangular in shape with a small darker "lane" visible on the SE side extending outward from the center. In addition a slightly mottled edge was noticed with averted vision on the W to SW edge of the brighter center. A dimmer outer halo was uneven in brightness with a brighter, denser portion on the N side. The halo was elongated a bit to the SE. The central star was not visible. This planetary is fun to observe because of all the minute and subtle details. A very captivating object. I probably spent over an hour describing, sketching and just plain admiring the thing. All this excitement, I'm sure, is due to the 2 hour sucker hole that opened up at midnight!!! I've had just about enough of El Nino this year, thanks!

Mullaney calls it a "truly stunning pale blue planetary in Hydra .. this 9th magnitude object is as least 40 arcseconds by 35 arcseconds in extent. Visible in a 60mm refractor at 70x, it rivals the famous Ring nebula, M57, yet is unknown to many observers. The nucleus has shown strange variations over the years and should be monitored in 6-inch or larger telescopes."

William P. Clarke (San Diego, California, USA) writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "A bright football-shaped structure with a darker centre containing the central star. A fainter, circular halo gives the nebula the appearance of an eye, or the CBS logo. The football-shaped part is elongated in PA 125 degrees and the overall diameter is 0.75'. The central star is obscured through the OIII filter, while the rest of the nebula is greatly enhanced. (21-inch f/20, x350)"

IAAC contribution by Adam Albino: Round, bright, with soft iridescent blue green glow. No real "ring" formation seen. Solid "ball" Structure. Skiff and Luginbuhl see some brightening on the NW side as well as some elongation (oval)in shape. I did not see this with the 8", although at higher powers I felt the edges were not as sharp. Interestingly I felt that the Mag. of the object was much higher then stated - easily 7.5. Very nice break from all those faint Fuzzy galaxys nearby!

Donald J. Ware: This is a very impressive planetary nebula, showing a blue-green disk almost 1' in diameter with a bright center and fuzzy edges. I saw a bright spot on the SE edge, and another but fainter brightening to its NW."

While Smythe called it "pale greyish-white" in colour, Houston notes that many modern observers see it as striking blue; Hartung does not mention colour.

10-inch f/5 Newtonian: This planetary is clearly visible in a 10-inch f/5 at 30x, appearing as a bright bloated star; no matter how you try, you cannot focus it into a point. The starfield around it is pretty busy, containing bright and faint stars. I was surprised to see that it would be so large at 30x. However, even with the 10mm eyepiece, about 120x, the planetary does not show too well in this instrument tonight. 10mm shows it as a large, pale disc, slightly elongated. The right eye shows it pale washed-out yellow, while it may have a bluish tinge with the left eye. When the numerous field stars are brought sharply into focus, the planetary still has a nebulous border, remaining fuzzy and not sharply terminated. [AS]

13.1-inch f/4.4 Newtonian: “This object is readily seen with 37x. At 151x it is very big (45’’ x 60’’) and bright. At first, it seems circular and with defined borders. Careful investigation shows that it is slightly oval n the WNW-ESE direction; the southern border is more defined than the opposite one. Its brightness is not totally uniform; it has a brighter part to the east of the centre. There are a few stars in the field of NGC 3242.” [9.7mm S.Plossl, 151x, 21’ fov, sketched] (urban) [GG]

15.5-inch f/9 Newtonian: Observers used to hunting planetary nebulae will find this object most impressive and a relief from the usual "stellar" or "stellar with faint outer envelope" descriptions. With an angular diameter larger than Saturn's, no "special tricks" are needed to see this object. Observing conditions, however, greatly influence the appearance of the nebula. At 220x it appears essentially void of structural detail, except for a fainter ridge which surrounds the brighter central elongated mass. This central disc appears featureless, although the Northern tip shows a slight brightening. No prominent colour was noted. [AS]

13.1-inch f/4.4 Newt., 9.7mm S.Plossl, 151x, 21’ fov. Gabriel Giust, Martinez, Buenos Aires, Arg.. North up, east left.

Select a new chart by: Chart numbers | RA & Dec | Constellation | Month

HomeChart IndexResourcesSubscribeCertificatesAboutWhat's New

"Deepsky Observers Companion" (http://www.global.co.za/~auke) Copyright 1998 Auke Slotegraaf. All rights reserved. Uranometria 2000.0 copyright (c) 1987-1996 Willmann-Bell, Inc. Page last updated 1998 March 01