Smiling Panther's Den     |   home

The Problem With Silver Ravenwolf
© by Smiling Panther, Oct. 15th 2001

A number of people in the Pagan community have a problem with "Mama Silver," and are frequently asked "why?". Answers vary, as there are a number of reasons. At first glance, many people might think that it is simply a matter of envy, that since she is such a well known figure she makes an easy target. While that may certainly be the case in some instances, many others have complaints which go well beyond that, which Silver is apparently completely unwilling to address on her own behalf. I am writing this article in the interest of no longer having to type out the same thing repetitively on message boards. This article should be read with the fact firmly in mind that these are the personal views of myself and many others regarding her work. I would encourage the reader to keep these things in mind if or when they read her work.

Let me start out by saying that I truly believe Silver had the best of intentions in the beginning. Perhaps she still does. Her early books, "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" and "To Stir a Magick Cauldron" aren't terribly bad, although there are better ones available in my opinion. From there, however, begins a downward spiral. Where the fur truly began to fly was with the publication of "Teen Witch", so I'll concentrate mainly there.

I've read "Teen Witch" cover to cover, and I must say that it wasn't as bad as I'd expected from all the hype. Unfortunately, that doesn't say much. The first overall disturbing thing that strikes me about this book is the way in which it is blatantly targeted at Christian teens. The author practically jumps through hoops to draw the reader to the conclusion that Witches worship the Christian God, relegating Witchcraft to Christianity with special effects, so to speak. Now, I understand that this is meant to be an introductory book for young readers and their parents. However, I fail to see how leading readers to incorrect conclusions at the outset is helpful. The whole book dumbs down and sugar-coats the practice of Witchcraft, while at the same time managing to further spread misinformation. I'll address some of that now.

pg. 9, par. 2

"The Spiritual Laws represent a code of ethics or morals giving the Crafter a guideline for spiritual living, whether you choose to practice as a Solitary (a Witch alone) or within a group structure. These Spiritual Laws apply to all magickal people, and most magickal individuals incorporate these laws into their group workings and their solitary practices."

All Magickal people? Since when is there a Unified Pagan Ethic, and why wasn't a memo sent out? That's pure tripe. For example, if you are at all familiar with the Asatruar, you know that they follow Norse Paganism with heavy emphasis on honor and the way of the Warrior. How logical is it, then, to assume that they follow the idea of "Harm None" as do so many Neo-Wiccans? A good many non-Neo-Wiccan Witches also do not believe in any such thing as the "Rule of Three" or in limiting their options with a "Harm None" clause. That doesn't mean they prowl the streets at night looking for someone to smite, it simply means they won't hesitate to smite under the right circumstances.

pg. 13, par. 3 & 5

"Real Witches do not...

...hurt people physically, mentally, spiritually, or magickally. Witches have taken an oath to help people, not hurt people. You are not a real Witch if you hurt anybody.

...work black magick - that's those other guys. Real Witches know that whatever you
                   do, whether in this world or the magickal world, comes back to you three times. If
                   you do good stuff, then you get rewarded. If you do bad stuff, you pay the price -
                   and, let me add, you will pay dearly. Wiccans have a poem that goes: Ever mind the
                   rule of three, what you give out comes back to thee."

Oh please. Just because someone doesn't conform to the ethical standpoint of her personal choice, they aren't a "Real Witch"? As for the "Rule of Three" and "Harm None" see my prior comment.

pg. 14, par. 7

"...drink or use blood in any way from animals, themselves, or any person (alive or dead). How you like your steak has nothing to do with the Craft."

**BZZZZT** Blood Magick is quite an old practice, and there are most certainly Traditions of Witchcraft today which do incorporate blood in some spells and ritual. It definitely isn't for everyone, even though the blood is often obtained in a non-violent manner such as harvesting menstrual blood, but it is done nonetheless. Also, this statement most definitely maligns religions such as Santeria and Vodoun, which do utilize blood sacrifice in some instances.

pg. 14, par. 11

"...summon demons. We simply are not that dumb."

Goetia, anyone? While this practice would certainly be more common in groups which lean more heavily towards Ceremonial Magick, the summoning of entities, including demons, to serve or perform a specific purpose is centuries old. To suggest that someone is not a "Real Witch" simply because they happen to do so is ludicrous.

pg. 15, par. 2

"...use Satanic symbols. The Witches' pentacle, or five-pointed star point-up within a circle, represents the four elements and the human, encompassed by Spirit. The pentacle has nothing to do with Satanism, and Witches get very, very upset with people who match the point-up pentacle with Satanism. Just as Witches do not invert the Christian cross, they don't appreciate it when someone inverts their symbol either."

This is absolutely beyond laughable. I'm nearly at a loss as to where to even begin. Yes, the pentacle is representative of the five Elements (Spirit or Akasha, Air, Fire, Water, and Earth). With the point up, it represents Spirit ascendant above matter. Inverted it represents Spirit descending into matter. For someone who claims to be an initiated Elder of Wicca, she seems completely ignorant of the symbolism used in Second Degree initiation (which is not yet Elder status) by admonishing her readers that inverting the pentacle is a "bad thing". As to the use of the inverted pentacle as a Satanic symbol, it would stand to reason that it is used by them as such specifically because it represents Spirit descending into matter. Since many Satanists, particularly the LaVeyan Satanists, worship the self rather than any literal entity known as Satan, glorifying the practitioner as divinity in flesh and materialism are natural, logical steps with the symbolism. Upright or inverted, the pentacle has no moral "value" beyond that which the observer delegates to it, and what is implied by the context in which it is used.

pg. 19, par. 2

"Real Witches do...

...know that the art of magick is our greatest gift. If we work bad magick, Spirit will take our gift(s) from us. If we work positive magick, then that good energy will return to us threefold."

Nice heavy-handed moral manipulation. Oddly reminiscent of "do as I say or you're doomed to burn in Hell."

pg. 101, par 1

"The textbook definition of 'magick' goes something like this: Using one's will to create form. Magick requires belief in a higher power, and faith in yourself. I've written scads of material on magick, and have read hundreds of books on the topic as well. I've thought about magick, talked about magick, and practiced magick for over twenty years. I've discovered that just as many religions exist in the world, so too many magickal systems present themselves from which the student may choose. I've learned that just as no religion is better than another, so too no magickal system outshines another. And I've learned that a magickal system isn't worth squat unless you plug that system into a religion."

What?!?! Ye Gods, what a mess! First and foremost, the creation of form is rarely a goal in Magickal work. Change, yes, but not form. As Aleister Crowley defined it, Magick is "The Art and Science of creating change in conformity with Will." I've found no better definition to date. Magick requires a belief in a higher power? I guess someone had better inform the Atheist and Agnostic mages I've had the pleasure of conversing with. What I really love though, is the way she states here that no religion and no Magickal system is better than another, then turns around and states that a Magickal system is worthless if not plugged into a religion in the next breath. Simply amazing.

pg. 102, par. 1

"Whether you practice folk magick or ceremonial magick, both systems used in a positive way have the following in common: All magick contains prayer. All magick incorporates divinity. All magick concentrates on positive change."

All magick most certainly does not incorporate prayer, as any practitioner of over twenty years should well know. Prayer is the petitioning of a deity to cause something to occur. In Magick, the caster is working to cause that change themself. They may certainly incorporate prayer to petition a deity to aid in reaching the desired outcome of the spell, but that is not necessary.

pg. 104, par. 3

"Every magickal application, whether we are talking about spellwork, ritual, drumming, singing, et cetera, involves prayer - making a request to Spirit, honoring Spirit, or celebrating God all involve divinity. Every act of magick begins with a desire...and a prayer."

See above.

pg. 106, par. 2

"To evoke means to bring forth from within ourselves an energy or force outward into the universe."

She says she's been practicing Magick for over twenty years, and yet she doesn't even know what evocation is within a Magickal paradigm.

pg. 130, par. 6

"The Dark Side - Witches Don't Go There

Witches do not work magick to harm others and we know that no real power lies in evil."

Right. That's why there are so many versions of curse, binding, and smiting, many of which have been around a good deal longer than her supposed twenty years of practice. I suppose that's also why the saying "A witch who can't harm can't heal" came about.

So, we have here an author who is blatantly targeting minors of other faiths, moralizing for the entire community, has decided it is up to her to determine who is and is not a "Real Witch", and is spewing blatant misinformation. On top of this, she goes on in her book "Teen Witch" to encourage minors to deceive their parents by the use of "sneak attacks" in order to subvert their rules and wishes. The icing on the cake, however, is on her own web site where she is promoting "Teen Witch". She states (current as of this writing) "Teen Witch! Is at the bookstores NOW. Call 1-800-THE-MOON to place your order, or bug, bother and pester your neighborhood book store till they can't stand it any more. Oh, and for the adults that don't like this statement? Maybe you don't care about their future, but I do." Excuse me?!?! Not only is she going to encourage my kids to make obnoxious pests of themselves, but also to turn against me because "I don't care" if I won't let them have her book? "You're family doesn't care about you/understand you, but I do" is a classic cultic hook. That alone is reason enough for many of us to look with disgust at the turn her work has taken. That is not the manner in which much of the Pagan community at large wishes to be represented.

Silver has to make a living. I understand that. She is most likely under contract to write "X" number of books. I understand that as well. I would think that she could at least make the effort to make them good, accurate books though. Perhaps it is just as well that she now seems to be focusing on fiction.

Neither Wicca, nor Witchcraft in general need or deserve to be sugar-coated or dumbed down. If "Mama Silver" truly understood and respected her targeted audience, she would not have felt it necessary to do so. Most teens certainly don't need it, which leaves the likelihood that it was done for the "benefit" of the parents of those teens. As a parent myself, that's not a ploy I appreciate.

If someone takes it upon themself to teach, they need to teach without patronizing, and teach accurate information. They need to do so in a way which encourages communication, not deceit. They need to do it in an ethical manner, without imposing their own personal ethics upon others. If they take it upon themselves to represent a community, they need to ensure that they do just that, rather than try to make the community conform to them. It is my opinion, and that of many others within the Pagan community, that Silver has failed in all these things. That is the problem with Silver Ravenwolf.

Author's note, 5/11/05 : Over the years I have received a number of emails in response to this article, and I greatly appreciate that feedback whether it be in agreement with my opinion or opposed to it. I do want to address one theme common to the critical feedback I have received, however. It is my hope that the reader will bear in mind that, while I have certainly expressed my own opinion in the above article, I have also taken great care to present direct quotations to support that opinion. It is also my hope that the reader will take such supporting statements into consideration before arbitrarily deciding that I'm simply out to "Silver bash" due to some nebulous personal agenda. The sum of my reasons for writing the article in the first place are plainly stated in the article itself.

Background for this page provided by:

All contents of this site are © 2000-2005 except where otherwise noted, such as in the case of graphics or other content not created by Smiling Panther. Original author/creator retains all rights in those instances. All rights reserved.