Rebels chase Canada berths
Greg Meachem
Advocate staff

8/10/00

CALGARY - Red Deer Rebels Justin Mapletoft and Ross Lupaschuk left the Canadian national junior team evaluation camp Wednesday at Father David Bauer Arena wondering if they'd be back for the winter session.

Neither was excited about his performance at the 10-day summer camp - which featured 40 of the top players in major junior and college hockey - although national team coach Stan Butler wasn't disappointed with their effort.

"Compared to last summer, I didn't have as much time to prepare this year. I didn?t skate as much as I normally do in July," said Lupaschuk, who also attended the 1999 summer evaluation sessions.

"So I don't feel I had the best camp, but I'm looking forward to the (WHL) season coming up and playing well enough to get back to the December camp. Hopefully, I'll make an impact then."

The Rebels defenceman was solid in Wednesday's intrasquad game, although his Red team fell 6-4 to Mapletoft's White squad, which then prevailed in a shootout to break a tie in the four-game series.

"I did feel that today was my best game," admitted Lupaschuk.

"There's a little bug that's been going around all week and everyone has been sick, but I felt better today. I'm also in better shape than I was when camp started."

Mapletoft, who was held off the scoresheet in regulation time Wednesday but notched the shootout goal that clinched the intrasquad series, was also hampered by a groin injury suffered last week.

"It was affecting me. I didn't have any jump and there wasn't much I could do," he said. "I'll just go home now and look after it and get ready for (Rebels) camp in two weeks.

"I didn't play the way I wanted to play here. My skating wasn't that great.

"I don't know. It's the middle of the summer and this is a tryout to a tryout. I just did the best I could.

"If they pick me to go to the winter camp, that's great. And if not, that?s fine. It?s something I?ll have to live with."

If in fact the pair of Rebels didn't make a positive impression this time around, they'll likely get called back to the final camp in December if they're strong out of the chute this fall.

"I thought both of them had a solid camp," said Butler. "Now it's going to come down to the type of start they have to their season. I'm sure Barry Trapp, our director of scouting, will be watching them this fall and how they play while he's watching will dictate what happens next."

Butler saw enough of the Red Deer duo to get a proper read on their strengths and weaknesses and what they can offer the national squad. "Ross is an offensive defenceman and a right-shot D. He's got to bring skill to the team and obviously he has to play well in his own end," said the head coach.

"Justin is a feisty forward who brings a lot of jam to the game. He has to make sure he?s responsible in his own end, as well.

"That applies to everybody, not just those two, because the difference between winning and losing is so close. The little things are so important."

Mapletoft, like Lupaschuk, felt he turned in his best performance of the entire camp Wednesday.

"I think I played a lot better tonight than earlier in the week. But like I said before, it's summer.

"Your brain's not clicking as fast as it usually is and your hands aren't working as fast. There's not much you can do about that."

Lupaschuk and Mapletoft, drafted by Washington and the New York Islanders last year, will leave the Rebels to attend their respective NHL camps in early September.

Lupaschuk admitted spending 10 days with the best juniors in Canada will make for an easier adjustment to an NHL camp.

"The speed here was unbelievable" he said. "The NHL obviously has some great players but the guys here can also skate and handle the puck."

Maplefoft agreed that the entire evaluation experience was positive, an experience he handled well due to his mindset.

"Just look at the list. You have a lot of very good CHL and even college players," he said. "You just have to go out there, do your best and try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

"If you do, then you'll continue when the season starts and it might not work out for the best. You just have to relax and hopefully good things will happen down the road."