MacDonald joins the Rebels
Advocate staff

8/15/00

Dan MacDonald's break from coaching lasted all of five months. MacDonald, who after four years resigned his position as the Red Deer College Kings bench boss at the conclusion of the 1999-2000 ACAC hockey season, has joined the Red Deer Rebels as an assistant coach. The Red Deer school teacher will work with the Western Hockey League team on a part-time basis. "I won't be traveling with the club except for the odd game," MacDonald said Monday. "I'll be here for the home games and we'll see if time allows me to do more."

MacDonald will essentially fill the position Dallas Gaume held last  winter, helping run practices and analyzing the team's play from the stands or press box. Gaume was hired as a full-time assistant coach in June, replacing Peter Anholt.

MacDonald also guided the Red Deer Optimist Chiefs to three national major midget championship tournaments in four years - winning silver twice - and coached several seasons in the AJHL with Olds and the former Calgary Spurs.

He also coached with the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL during the 1986-87 season. "I'm looking forward to this year," he said. "This allows me to stay involved in hockey and hopefully help the Rebels. "Right now it's a good fit for me."

Rebels general manager/head coach Brent Sutter was upbeat about acquiring MacDonald's services.

"We're fortunate to be able to add a person like Dan to our staff," said Sutter. "He brings a great knowledge of the game to our dressing room and he communicates well with the players."

The Rebels' rookie camp runs Aug. 24-25 at the Centrium, with main camp opening the evening of the 25th.

Red Deer's preseason schedule starts Sept. 1 at Rocky Mountain House, where the Calgary Hitmen will supply the opposition.

The Rebels' other exhibition games are Sept. 6 at Airdrie (vs. Calgary), Sept. 8 at Stettler (Lethbridge), Sept. 10 at Lethbridge and Sept. 15, 16 and 17 at the Red Deer Arena against Saskatoon, Prince George and Regina.

Red Deer's regular-season opener is Sept. 22 at the Centrium against the Hitmen.

--------
Former Rebels defenceman Terry Lindgren has agreed to terms with the Florida Everblades of the East Coast Hockey League.

--------
The WHL's Saskatoon Blades have hired Kevin Dickie as the team's new head coach.

Dickie, who has coached the CIAU's Acadia Axemen for the past three seasons, replaces Brad McCrimmon who left the Blades to become an assistant coach with the Calgary Flames.

A native of Shaunavon, Sask., Dickie is an assistant coach for the Canadian junior hockey team this year.

During Dickie's stay, the Axemen went 45-30-5 and made the CIAU final in 1998.

Dickie coached the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League's Melfort Mustangs from 1991 to 1996, compiling a 244-131-28 record and finishing second at the 1996 national championship.