Ward won’t fold in crease
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff
9/01/00

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Cam Ward’s Western Hockey League career won’t begin for at least another year.

The 16-year-old goaltender is still in the Red Deer Rebels camp, but with Shane Bendera and Michael Garnett slated to carry the load this season, Ward will likely be heading home to Sherwood Park within two weeks.

“This has been a good experience for me,” Ward said Thursday, in reference to his first WHL training camp.

“I’m just coming out in practice and trying to give it my all. I’m also trying to learn from the older guys.”

With Bendera currently attending the Columbus Blue Jackets camp, Garnett and Ward will dress for tonight’s preseason opener against the Calgary Hitmen at 7:30 p.m. in Rocky Mountain House.

If he doesn’t see action tonight, Ward will probably appear in the rematch Wednesday at Airdrie, and may even suit up for one or both of the exhibition contests with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Sept. 8 at Stettler and two days later in Lethbridge.

“It will give me a chance to show what I’ve got and hopefully impress the coaches,” said Ward. “You always want to play and when you get your chance you have to make the most of it.”

Rebels GM/head coach is already impressed by Ward.

“He’s got decent size (six-foot, 165 pounds) and technically he’s fairly sound,” said Sutter. “He has to work on his quickness, but when you’ve got the technical skills the other parts of your game usually follow.”

Ward is one of four goaltenders in the running for a berth with Team Pacific, a combined Alberta-B.C. team that will compete in the World Under-17 Challenge in December.

“I saw him at the Team Pacific summer camp in Calgary and he was as good as if not better than the other three goaltenders there,” said Sutter.

“If he continues to develop he’ll remain one of our top prospects. We’re not anticipating that he’ll be here this year but next season is a possibility.”

Ward incorporates several styles while stopping the puck.

“I’m both a butterfly and stand-up goalie, kind of in between,” he said. “I’ll go down if I have to.”

One way or the other, Ward will play in his hometown this winter. He’ll either return to the midget AAA squad, with which he posted a 3.57 goals-against average in 24 games last season, or join the Crusaders of the Alberta Junior League.

l Garnett will likely get the start in goal tonight, with Ward ready for relief duty.

Two veterans — captain Jim Vandermeer and Colin Johnson — will join rookies Dion Phaneuf, Derek Meech, Cody Holzapfel and Shane Grypiuk on the blueline.

Up front, Colin Fraser will centre a line with Jeff Smith and Colby Armstrong, and Andrew Bergen will skate between Wayne Gotto and Justin Wallin.

The other forward units will be Donovan Rattray between Shey Stephenson and Boyd Gordon, and Joel Rupprecht between Devin Francon and Czech import Martin Vymazal.

The Rebels have yet to secure an official release for their other import, Czech forward Ladislav Kouba.

-----
The Rebels will join the Prince George Cougars, Saskatoon Blades and Regina Pats in the Scottsville/Red Deer Minor Hockey WHL Classic Sept. 15-17 at the Arena.

Red Deer’s regular-season opener is Sept. 22 at the Centrium versus the Hitmen.