Dombrowski hitting again
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff
9/14/00

Red Deer Rebels defenceman Adam Dombrowski delivered his first bodycheck in over five months Wednesday, but he won’t hit an opponent for at least another two weeks.

Dombrowski participated in a full-contact practice session at the Centrium, his first since checking into training camp in late August.

“Yeah, I’m supposed to ease into it slowly,” said the 18-year-old, who’s been skating for the last month but avoiding contact while recovering from shoulder surgery in early June.

Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter suggested last week that Dombrowski might play in the Scottsville/Red Deer Minor Hockey WHL Classic at the Arena this weekend, and would be available for the club’s regular-season opener Sept. 22.

But the timetable has been pushed ahead.

“I hope to be in next week, for our first regular-season game,” said Dombrowski.

“It will depend on how I am mentally, I guess, and I’ll have to see what the doctor says too.

“Next week might be a little early, but it won’t be much longer than that.”

According to Sutter, next week will be too early.

“I told him that unless something changes he won’t be in the lineup until the second week of the season,” said Sutter.

“His doctors thought he could be ready for this weekend, but they saw him a few days ago and said he should have a solid week of practice before he plays.

“And I’ve already told him that he has to play a certain way for us or he can’t play for us at all.”

Dombrowski, who turns 19 next month, is well aware of the manner in which he’s expected to perform. And after being passed over in June’s NHL entry draft, it’s imperative that he turn in a strong campaign.

“I have to play physical. Nothing fancy, just keep it simple and physical,” said the native of Nanoose Bay, B.C.

“I definitely have to play with more intensity than last year. Personally, last year was pretty disappointing. I don’t feel that I played even close to my capabilities.”

Dombrowski likely won’t play at a high level immediately upon returning to action, although he’s confident it won’t be long before he’s in game shape.

“Physically, I feel good, so I don’t think it will take long to feel comfortable out there,” he said.

The six-foot-two, 207-pound rearguard was idle for a six-week period following his surgery — the second shoulder operation he’s endured in three years — then graduated to a steady diet of aerobic exercises the rest of the summer.

“I’ve done a lot of biking and running and I’ve used the stairmaster. So I’m not in bad shape,” he said.

Dombrowski has had to sit and watch during the preseason. He’s been impressed with the view.

“We’re looking pretty good. All the young guys are stepping up,” said the veteran.

“With guys like (Jeff) Woywitka and (Bryce) Thoma coming back after playing a lot last year, we should be strong on the back end.”

------------
l Sutter is confident the right man has been hired as league commissioner.

“He seems to be very enthusiastic and he certainly comes in with good credentials,” said Sutter of Ron Robison, who was hired Tuesday during a board of governors meeting in Calgary.

“His resume is very impressive.”

Robison joins the WHL after serving three years as president of his own sports marketing firm and 12 years with the Canadian Hockey Association.

“Time will tell but I feel he’ll be good for the league,” said Sutter. “I think the (WHL) executive committee did an outstanding job with their selection process.”

Robison was a finalist for the position when Dev Dley was hired four years ago.

“He’s definitely qualified to handle the duties we want from a commissioner,” said Sutter.

l The Rebels boss has heard nothing concerning the return of four players from NHL camps. “I was on the phone today and their agents don’t even know what’s going on,” said Sutter, referring to Justin Mapletoft (New York Islanders), Shane Bendera (Columbus), Kyle Wanvig (Boston) and Ross Lupaschuk (Washington).

l Former Rebels defenceman Chris Ovington had been traded from Saskatoon to Spokane for future considerations.