Wanvig a hit in Bruins camp
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff

9/19/00

A  day after collecting three points in an NHL preseason game, Kyle Wanvig was on his way back to Red Deer.

The 19-year-old winger, who scored twice and added an assist in the Boston Bruins’ 7-2 win at Montreal Sunday, flew to Calgary Monday night and will rejoin the Red Deer Rebels today.

“I talked to Boston’s director of player development, Bob Tindall, and he said the Bruins are extremely happy with him,” said Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter, who competed in the club’s annual golf tournament Monday at Innisfail.

“Kyle played really well at Boston’s camp.

“It was just a reflection of how hard he worked this summer and how well he performed at our camp.

“He was outstanding here before leaving for Boston and he just carried on.

“Everything the Bruins have told us has been positive.

“I talked to Kyle today and told him I was proud of him and the way he played there.”

With the return of Wanvig, a third-round pick of the Bruins in the ‘99 NHL entry draft, and forward Justin Mapletoft (Islanders) and goalie Shane Bendera (Columbus) on the weekend, defenceman Ross Lupaschuk is the lone Rebel remaining at an NHL camp.

Lupaschuk was a second-round pick of the Washington Capitals last year and has obviously made an impression in training camp.

Sutter has no idea if the 19-year-old will be back in Red Deer in time for the Rebels’ WHL regular-season opener against the Calgary Hitmen Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the Centrium.

“Normally NHL teams keep you updated. But I haven’t heard anything from Washington or anything from Ross, so I don’t know what his situation is,” said Sutter.

“You don’t like to phone and hound them. When they’re ready to send him back that’s when he’ll come back.”